What do?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What do?

It looks like you have enough of the screw visible to try briggleman's dremel tool trick.
    I'd start there if you can.

I saw that... I dunno. Any pointers as to where I could find a better bit?
    That Amazon plug cutter is fine.
    Chuck it up tight, set your drill to reverse.
    With the drill going as slow as you can, press the bit into the wood to get a groove started.
    Set it to forward and again, slowly, drill into the wood, putting more pressure as you need to.
    Since it's a new bit, it should cut pretty easily.
    I'm not sure if the screw is located in anything besides the sheet of plywood it's screwed into, so you might have to drill through that and any internal support brace.
    Once you've drilled through, get an appropriately sized hardwood dowel from your local hardware store... they're cheap and cut off a 1 - 2" piece.
    Fluted dowels will actually work better, but you typically have to buy a bag of them.
    If you can, score a couple of grooves along the side of the dowel from top to bottom. This will help to channel the glue.
    Then just slather it with your favorite wood glue and with a hammer, tap it into the hole.
    Don't hit the actual dowel, use a scrap piece of wood.
    Let it dry overnight and then redrill your new screw hole.

Also, how does that go into a drill? Both sides have the cutting edge.
    You'd just put one end into the chuck.
    It looks long enough for that.

Bear in mind that plug/hole cutters are typically meant to be used in drill presses.
    MM

2000 ES335LE Teal Blue, 2009 Gibson LP Trad Pro HCS, 2007 Edwards LP-130LTS/RE Lemon Drop, 2010 Gibson '50's Tribute Studio Goldtop.
    Carvin V3, Bogner Alchemist, Egnater Rebel 30, Peavey Classic 30, Dave Hunter Two-Stroke, Digitech GNX3, Carvin T100

Comment

Originally posted by MetalManiac View Post
      These things usually require a drill prsss, but how you get a cabinet into a drill press I have no clue.
      With larger pedestal drill presses, the drill head and/or press bed can be rotated for a deeper clearance.

There aren't your typical DIY drill presses, but larger shop presses.
      Find the nearest Harbor Freight for an example.
      MM

2000 ES335LE Teal Blue, 2009 Gibson LP Trad Pro HCS, 2007 Edwards LP-130LTS/RE Lemon Drop, 2010 Gibson '50's Tribute Studio Goldtop.
      Carvin V3, Bogner Alchemist, Egnater Rebel 30, Peavey Classic 30, Dave Hunter Two-Stroke, Digitech GNX3, Carvin T100

Comment

Easy fix 101 since this isn't a piece of fine furniture and nobody but you will know it ever had an issue:

1. Turn the cab upside down.
        2. line an awl up next to the broke off screw.
        3. Smack it with a hammer a few times to start a new hole AND move the broken one over a touch.
        4. Secure the glide with a new screw, leaving the old one in there to help hold it.

Done...don't make this any more complicated than it is.
        Now operating part time: Glassman Tube Amps...repairs, rebuilds, restorations & modifications of tube equipment.

Still building: GlassMan Amplifiers (25 watt, all tube, single channel w/reverb, single 12" combo) and some more designs in the works.

Located in Fort Wayne, IN

Note: I've "parked" my website in case anyone has been looking for it. I moved locations and haven't updated the site to reflect this.

Comment

Originally posted by glassman View Post
          Easy fix 101 since this isn't a piece of fine furniture and nobody but you will know it ever had an issue:

1. Turn the cab upside down.
          2. line an awl up next to the broke off screw.
          3. Smack it with a hammer a few times to start a new hole AND move the broken one over a touch.
          4. Secure the glide with a new screw, leaving the old one in there to help hold it.

Done...don't make this any more complicated than it is.
          thats it right there. no reason to make it complicated

Comment

GREAT IDEA........ if it works??????????

I love simplicity as anyone of you do, HOWEVER, look again at the corner piece he is trying to replicate. Only one place to make a new hole and use the corner piece along with the foot. As you suggest, he may be able to place a screw beside the broken one without too much strain on the corner bracket, Lets hope!!!!!............. BUT, if this does not work, he needs to get the screw out of there!

I just love forums, where else could one find a discussion on a 101 ways to screw!!!!!!!!!! or screw up!!!!

Comment

Hmmmm... I wonder if JB Weld would work on that?
              Or maybe a crap load of epoxy and some sawdust?
              Come on guys... there's got to be at least 99 more ways this can be fixed.
              You guys aren't being imaginative enough!
              MM

Comment

Lol

I'm just going to go with the extractor.
                Custom neck-thru strat
                1989 MIJ 1962 RI Strat
                1995 PRS CE24
                D'avanzo #8
                Breedlove Solo Concert
                1996 USA Dean Baby Z
                1991 40th Anniversary Les Paul
                1968 Fender Bassman, Egnater SW45, Mesa Mark IIB Coliseum, Mesa ElectraDyne 1x12 Combo, Avatar 4x12, Mesa half back 4x12 Earcandy 2x12
                Roland RE-201 Space Echo, 70's Fender Reverb Unit

Comment

Well, I got the bit today. Went to get the screw out of my cab... and the bit ****ing broke in the wood.

I'm going to try Brad's dremel trick. I really hope that works.
                  Custom neck-thru strat
                  1989 MIJ 1962 RI Strat
                  1995 PRS CE24
                  D'avanzo #8
                  Breedlove Solo Concert
                  1996 USA Dean Baby Z
                  1968 Fender Bassman, Egnater SW45, Mesa Mark IIB Coliseum, Mesa ElectraDyne 1x12 Combo, Avatar 4x12, Mesa half back 4x12 Earcandy 2x12

Comment

Nope, that didn't work. I'm ****ed.
                    Custom neck-thru strat
                    1989 MIJ 1962 RI Strat
                    1995 PRS CE24
                    D'avanzo #8
                    Breedlove Solo Concert
                    1996 USA Dean Baby Z

Comment

Originally posted by Agileguy_101 View Post
                      Well, I got the bit today. Went to get the screw out of my cab... and the bit ****ing broke in the wood.

I'm going to try Brad's dremel trick. I really hope that works.

Nope, that didn't work. I'm ****ed.
                      Wow, so the hollow bit broke off in the wood?
                      Well that sucks.
                      Hmm.

Can you turn it around and use it?
                      Is it that fragile or were you pushing down really hard?
                      If you can, try it again going really slowly.

If you can't reuse the other side of that bit, the only thing I can think of is getting a normal hole saw, the kind Jerry was talking about that comes in a set of about 5 sizes.
                      Use the smallest one that'll remove the least wood, drilling *around* the old screw as deep as you can go and then chiseling out the wood/screw, etc., until you get it all out.
                      Fix it with a dowel the same size as the hole you made.
                      Double check that you can get a dowel the same size as that smallest hole saw bit.
                      MM

Comment

You should be able to drill straight through the screw with a drill bit the same size as the shaft of the screw. Then use a slightly oversized screw to reinstall the foot.
                        Originally posted by LesStrat
                        Yogi Berra was correct.
                        Originally posted by JOLLY
                        I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

Dafuq

Comment

Use Jer's trick...

drill small holes around the screw, use needlenose pliers to grab a hold of that sucker and wrangle it outta there.

Then drill a clean hole, glue in dowel, re-drill for new screw.

Comment

I see this hole getting progressively larger as time goes by. If this thread goes on for another three pages, you'll be asking what speaker you should install in the hole your glide once occupied.
                              Now operating part time: Glassman Tube Amps...repairs, rebuilds, restorations & modifications of tube equipment.

Still building: GlassMan Amplifiers (25 watt, all tube, single channel w/reverb, single 12" combo) and some more designs in the works.

Located in Fort Wayne, IN

Note: I've "parked" my website in case anyone has been looking for it. I moved locations and haven't updated the site to reflect this.

Comment

Working...
                              X