X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Joe Bonamassa’s 5 Most Underrated Amps

click here

Re: Joe Bonamassa’s 5 Most Underrated Amps

That Kelley thing is like 4 grand - how's that underrated?

Comment

Originally posted by DankStar View Post
      That Kelley thing is like 4 grand - how's that underrated?
      Maybe to JB it is.

Anyway I'm glad that Lab L5 and SD convertible made it to the list

Comment

I like this comment " I do have a Fender amp in my live rig—they’re just called Dumbles. They sound like Fender amps"

My only question is... then why not just play a fender why spend the 30k on a dumble...
        "It keeps you fit - the alcohol, nasty women, sweat on stage, bad food - it's all very good for you." -Bon Scott

"Let me put it this way: the 5150 will treat
        you better than any girlfriend, because it screams louder, it's easier to pick up, and it shuts up when you take your plug out." -Rip Glitter

Comment

I find his playing to be uninspiring

Comment

I saw this. I thought he had some good choices.

My quibble with the Gibson Lab amps is that they have a rep of not being very reliable, and that is also the problem with the Duncan. The cards for the Duncan can be very hard to find, too. But they are both good sounding amps.

Years ago I had a chance to play one of the original Jim Kelley amps, and I loved it. I was dirt poor at the time, so I didn't buy it, but that's one of the amps that I would love to find at somebody's garage sale for $50.00! A very memorable amp.

It's hard for me to think of any Fender amp as underrated, but I think the SF amps are. If you like loud and clean, these bad boys will do it. I think Bandmasters are very underrated, and my favorite of all is the Tremolux BF head with the piggy-back 210 cab. Great blues and jazz amps.

SUNN Betas are great SS amps that can still be had cheap, and they were built very well. Peavey SS amps are practically bulletproof and have served on stages all over the world.

There are a lot of serviceable amps out there that can do the job, and are terrific "pawn shop prizes" when you find them.

Bill
            When you've had budget guitars for a number of years, you may find that your old instrument is holding you back. A quality guitar can inspire you to write great songs, improve your understanding of the Gdim chord while in the Lydian Mode, cure the heartbreak of cystic acne--and help you find true love in the process.

Comment

I'm so sick of hearing about Joe Bonamassa and his freaking rig.
               Originally Posted by DreX

I don't mean to be a jerk, but some people bring out my compartmentalized rage, and I think that's their idea of victory. I wouldn't bother asking people to be civil on the internet though, just hide them in my basement and move on. Call the authorities any time you feel it necessary.

Comment

Who cares? Joe Bonamassa isn't god.
                Custom neck-thru strat
                1989 MIJ 1962 RI Strat
                1995 PRS CE24
                D'avanzo #8
                Breedlove Solo Concert
                1996 USA Dean Baby Z
                1991 40th Anniversary Les Paul
                1968 Fender Bassman, Egnater SW45, Mesa Mark IIB Coliseum, Mesa ElectraDyne 1x12 Combo, Avatar 4x12, Mesa half back 4x12 Earcandy 2x12
                Roland RE-201 Space Echo, 70's Fender Reverb Unit

Comment

Comment

No, Celtic Amps are underrated.
                    Romans 3:23; 6:23; 5:8; 10:13; 10:9-10

Teknon Theou
                    https://youtube.com/channel/UCo848I2...e4jKB5DNZ4Y7hs
                    Complaining that there are hypocrites in church is like complaining that fat people use the gym. Where else would you have them be?

Comment

Originally posted by LesStrat View Post
                      No, Celtic Amps are underrated.
                      But Kevlar works hard on designing those!

Comment

Why is there so much Joe bashing? He's a cool guitarist, and cool guy. I got to meet him when he played at Florida Theater a couple of years ago. He just came out on the street, at a side door, and shot-the-s**t with me and my friend for awhile before the show. He's just an unpretentious, regular dude. And he inspired me to take lessons. I cut my rock-'n-roll teeth on Jimi, The Doors, Steppenwolf, The Beatles, etc., etc. None of them inspired me like he did. Granted, I'm older and maybe wiser . . . but why bash Joe? I love the dude.

Comment

His playing comes across as anemic, he is pretentious, and he's not nearly as great as every other emial I receive makes him out to be.

I'm sure that your account of him is accurate, but I just can't get behind his forced "rock god" status.
                           Originally Posted by DreX

I don't mean to be a jerk, but some people bring out my compartmentalized rage, and I think that's their idea of victory. I wouldn't bother asking people to be civil on the internet though, just hide them in my basement and move on. Call the authorities any time you feel it necessary.

Comment

I would love to have his early 60s 335 and his early Tele/Broad/No Caster.. He's amazingly talented technique-wise. He has some amazing guitar tones at times. But just not my style of player. He's too schooled and clinical. Kinda like Eric J.

He also needs to hire a singer. He can afford it.

But he does seem supercool, and not a supertool. He's a gearhead like us, and seems pretty down to earth AFAICT. So I cut him some slack.

And "on topic", he is dead right about the Brown Deluxe, new SFCs, and MIG.
                            Last edited by JeffB; 09-24-2014, 07:27 PM.
                            I'm an internet person. All we do is waste time evaluating things that have next-to-zero real world significance.

Remember, it's just a plank of wood. YOU have to find the music in it - The Telecaster Handbook

Comment

Thats cool. I would never refer to him as a "rock God". I just like listening to him play.

Comment

Working...
                              X