Joe Bonamassa’s 5 Most Underrated Amps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Joe Bonamassa’s 5 Most Underrated Amps

I picked up some Black country Communion partly because i wanted to see what the current "state of the art" of conventional hard rock was. Some good, some not so good but worth a listen.

I am not a "technical" player by a long, long shot. Bonamassa is light years ahead of me in terms of skill but I get what people are saying about his playing not being inspired.

My own take on him is that he's a technical player, and that we need people who are great technical players to let us know what is possible and to push the envelope. Does he make the girls' booties shake? Maybe not but we still need guys like him who explore the limits of technique, gear, lead guitar as an instrument, and who apply it in real world gigging situations as working musicians.

His "greatest blues player" shtick can come across the wrong way. I doubt he is really that arrogant in person, and let's be honest dude is trying to make a living any way he can - it's tough out there.

My understanding is that he left BCC because they just weren't pulling enough butts in seats to fund their touring apparatus. It was costing him money when he could be on tour doing his own thing.

Point being, I appreciate and admire JB for what he brings to the guitar playing community, and I respect that he's a survivor in a tough time for guys doing what he does. He's in a totally different league from me as a player, and yet I probably wouldn't trade my sloppy, knuckle-dragging licks for his, because I'm good with who i am.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by hydro View Post
      I picked up some Black country Communion partly because i wanted to see what the current "state of the art" of conventional hard rock was. Some good, some not so good but worth a listen.

I am not a "technical" player by a long, long shot. Bonamassa is light years ahead of me in terms of skill but I get what people are saying about his playing not being inspired.

My own take on him is that he's a technical player, and that we need people who are great technical players to let us know what is possible and to push the envelope. Does he make the girls' booties shake? Maybe not but we still need guys like him who explore the limits of technique, gear, lead guitar as an instrument, and who apply it in real world gigging situations as working musicians.

His "greatest blues player" shtick can come across the wrong way. I doubt he is really that arrogant in person, and let's be honest dude is trying to make a living any way he can - it's tough out there.

My understanding is that he left BCC because they just weren't pulling enough butts in seats to fund their touring apparatus. It was costing him money when he could be on tour doing his own thing.

Point being, I appreciate and admire JB for what he brings to the guitar playing community, and I respect that he's a survivor in a tough time for guys doing what he does. He's in a totally different league from me as a player, and yet I probably wouldn't trade my sloppy, knuckle-dragging licks for his, because I'm good with who i am.
      With Jason Bonham on drums and JB's bluesy hard rock approach to the guitar I was hoping for something a little more Led Zep sounding. I thought it was a bit derivative of the 70's arena rock vibe. With that in mind when is the last time a supergroup hit one out of the park? Not since Cream, LZ or Dirty Mac in my opinion. In most cases the parts are not greater than the whole.

Comment

Some of it may be how it was produced. JB's guitar sounds a little squishy in parts, overcompressed or remote. Some of the songs are pretty decent but overall it's hit & miss. A big part of why I checked them out is that I find Glenn Hughes amusing... that dude has lived like 4 lives in the space of one... His voice can either be great, or just ridiculous, depending on how far he lets himself go. I was a big fan of Trapeze. BCC's version of "Medusa" tries hard but falls short, IMHO.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Securb View Post
          With that in mind when is the last time a supergroup hit one out of the park?
          Just my opinion, but I would say that Them Crooked Vultures are a home run.
          Custom neck-thru strat
          1989 MIJ 1962 RI Strat
          1995 PRS CE24
          D'avanzo #8
          Breedlove Solo Concert
          1996 USA Dean Baby Z
          1991 40th Anniversary Les Paul
          1968 Fender Bassman, Egnater SW45, Mesa Mark IIB Coliseum, Mesa ElectraDyne 1x12 Combo, Avatar 4x12, Mesa half back 4x12 Earcandy 2x12
          Roland RE-201 Space Echo, 70's Fender Reverb Unit

Comment

Originally posted by Big Flannel View Post
            If it is fine for people to feel that way, why would you rebuke us for voicing our opinions. I think everybody here has been pretty polite.
            I have not read all the posts, but yeah, I have not seen anything outrageous.
            I meet, talk to, email, and repair amps for A LOT of guitar players. Until a few moths ago, I would say Most of them had no idea who Joe B was.
            There are LOTS of guitar palyers in The World, and lots of styles of playing. Joe appeals to a fairly narrow margin of the music going public.
            When I ask players about him...I hear common critiques:
            He is a mediocre singer.
            Not a great song writer.
            He likes to play A LOT of notes.

A Lot of guys on guitar and amp forums think he is fabulous (though many do not).
            I have seen him twice. The second time I left after about 30 minutes. TO ME...there is not much heart and soul in his playing. He is a very capable player...but music is about A Lot more than that. And yeah...all the notes start to sound like a wank-fest.
            Look at the comments in this video. This is how a lot of people feel about Joe. Some of the same things you read here.
            Joe Bonamassa, Billy Gibbons, Derek Trucks and Dusty Hill live at the Rock Hall Of Fame induction of Freddie King 2012 playing Going Down. Visit: www.jbonama...
            https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gY73mb28orM
            https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=35mZ4BAvEbg
            https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nToonE52DG8
            https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XMl-ddFbSF0

Comment

That was a cool video. I was surprised at the 1:40 mark, they showed Derek Trucks name, but no one else's. So, did they think we wouldn't know who he is?

Comment

Originally posted by Securb View Post
                Except they shared the stage for Bonamassa's Royal Albert Hall concert. Yea, I'm pretty sure people who are in the industry know and respect him. Can't blame the guy for being talented enough as both a musician and a businessman. He has a great promoter that not only gets his name out there, he/she has polished Joe's image from being a jeans and long-hair hippie player to a suit and slick hair refined gentleman. But to us he's a really guitar junky like the rest of us that if we had his money to buy whatever gear we wanted, when we wanted like he does, we would. I don't read about him spending his money on big houses like Darryl Hall or fancy cars like how Clapton is well known for his Ferrari collection. We get jealous because we'd love to have just a couple of what he has. How many of us can buy a vintage, near mint Fender Stratocaster and run it though a vintage Fender amp from the same year, for nearly every year Fender existed and not be a bit jealous!

Heck, Johnny 5 brags about owning a Telecaster from nearly every year since they were created.

I find it rather refreshing that Joe B. actually has taste for tone, not boutique amps. He mentions Lab 5 amp that we can get for a couple hundred bucks? I'm sure his shoes cost more than that. Then a run of the mill production amp like the '67 Deluxe Reverb as a great amp to have? I nearly bought one because he mentioned it. I am guilty for buying a Marshall DSL40C because of a giveaway promotion video he did playing through one.
                Last edited by Detroitblues; 10-03-2014, 01:47 PM.

Comment

Can someone point me towards some of his more popular or good stuff? I have youtube'd him before & got his live performances which were cool but i'd like to check out more stuff that i,ve not come across randomly.

Comment

I suggest downloading spotify and listening to all his albums, thats what I did and it is pretty awesome stuff! check out black country communion.

Comment

Last time i checked Spotify was US only & wouldn't open on the pc. I wonder if there's an android version thats global. I'll check out that album on youtube now

Comment

cool, it is a band with Joe as the guitarist, I like most their stuff that is not ballads

of Joe's solo stuff I like Dust Bowl and the Ballad

Comment

Personally, I think Joe is a really good blues rock guitarist. I've seen him twice, and both times he delivered great performances. Personally, I like his tone. I haven't liked every release he has put out. The Black Rock album just doesn't move me. I do have to say that I have tremendous respect for him. He has managed to carve out a career as a musician in a genera that doesn't usually command much attention.
                          2001 Les Paul Classic (Antiquity Set)
                          2005 Les Paul Standard (Aldrich set)
                          2019 Washburn N24 (Duncan Custom Shop PATB)

Comment

I don't hate him, like others have said, I just don't like the industry's "forced guitar god" status of him.

I find his playing uninspiring, but I feel the same way about Steve Vai.

Joe B. is a blues guitarist who, when he was being discovered, couldn't sing, and needed his voice to mature. That's what killed his career and why he's not a household name like SRV, Clapton, BB King, Albert King, etc... You have to be a performer and sing if you're going to be a Blues star.

He's been around enough and paid his dues

Comment

I wish he would get some grit in his voice like kenny wayne sheppard did at like age 18

Comment

Joe Bonamassa is to the blues what Steve Vai is to shred, and Zakk Wylde is to metal.
                                Originally posted by Rockstar216
                                Musician thinking - nice strat, looks like a 62, that Marshall JCM 800 sounds great, the lead guitarist could use a bit less treble

Bar patron thinking - Wonder if these guys know "Free bird"?

Comment

Working...
                                X