Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Helix

New non-amp Amp Day!

i got it a couple of weeks ago, and I still have quite a bit of programming to do.

I've used it in one band practice and two church services.

So far I LOVE this unit.
    Romans 3:23; 6:23; 5:8; 10:13; 10:9-10

Teknon Theou
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCo848I2...e4jKB5DNZ4Y7hs
    Complaining that there are hypocrites in church is like complaining that fat people use the gym. Where else would you have them be?

Re: Helix

Sounds like you are really liking the Helix! I'm currently using a GT-100 and can get decent sounds through a power amp and cabinet, but the direct sounds leave a lot to be desired. I put a AMT SS-30 in the loop and am just using the GT for effects, but am definitely interested in a higher end all-in-one unit. Did you look at the Fractal AX8, Headrush, or Amplifire too?

Comment

Congrats, LesStrat!

And devastone, I've had my Helix for a year now, and it sounds great whichever way you run it. You may have to tweak EQ for different setups, but that's it. If it sounds crappy, there's a setting that's wrong, or the sound guy has the phantom power on. The Helix doesn't get along with phantom power on the XLR outputs, but a guy can put a cheap DI box or mini mixer between the Helix and FOH gear to make this a non-issue.
      Wanted: 1982 Gibson Les Paul Standard, Serial Number 82232531.

Comment

I use a Fractal AX8, but it amazes me the technology in these things.
        Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I may have to suck it up and try one soon since I'm employed again. The Amplifire gets great reviews and it's price makes if very tempting, but it doesn't have an expression pedal. If I look at a Helix it would probably be the LT, I have trouble justifying the extra cost for the regular Helix on my current budget, but I can see the custom naming of switches could definitely be a huge plus.

Comment

Originally posted by devastone View Post
            I may have to suck it up and try one soon since I'm employed again. The Amplifire gets great reviews and it's price makes if very tempting, but it doesn't have an expression pedal. If I look at a Helix it would probably be the LT, I have trouble justifying the extra cost for the regular Helix on my current budget, but I can see the custom naming of switches could definitely be a huge plus.
            Last I heard (could he wrong), if you plan on getting the Helix Native plugin when it comes out, it'll be $300 for LT owners and $100 for Floor and Rack owners. Something to keep in mind.
            Wanted: 1982 Gibson Les Paul Standard, Serial Number 82232531.

Comment

Still lovin' my LT here! The fact that it shares the man cave with a Friedman BE, Splawn Quickrod, and Fender DRRI FSR has done absolutely nothing to take the sheen off the Line 6. I just plugged into it a few days ago and was still thrilled with the tones I'd dailed up. Wonderful pedal.
              "Always remember... all you do in life, comes back to you" - Roy Kahn, formerly of Kamelot, during the intro to "Karma" on their One Cold Winter's Night DVD

http://www.soundcloud.com/jwflamenco

Comment

Seriously considering the Native plug in when it comes out.

I've not heard the Helix in person yet, but I liked the Fractal stuff... I considered an AX8 but I need proper usb functionality.

If I like the Helix plugin, I might consider line6 hardware over Fractal.

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                  I use a Fractal AX8, but it amazes me the technology in these things.
                  I had trouble bonding with my AX8 until I was forced to use it because my amp is fried. I still have much to learn, but through a PA it is amazing.
                  I am so close to retirement that I could play in a band full time. All I have to do is figure out what to use instead of money, improve my playing, learn some songs, and find some other musicians more talented than me who will do exactly as they're told. .

Comment

Originally posted by Lazarus1140 View Post
                    I had trouble bonding with my AX8 until I was forced to use it because my amp is fried. I still have much to learn, but through a PA it is amazing.
                    Yeah, indeed it is. I'd imagine it is the same with the Kemper.Helix, too. It sounds different onstage than a traditional guitar amp. But out front, it sounds amazing. There is a period of 'getting used to' the difference between a good modeler and a traditional amp, though.

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                      Yeah, indeed it is. I'd imagine it is the same with the Kemper.Helix, too. It sounds different onstage than a traditional guitar amp. But out front, it sounds amazing. There is a period of 'getting used to' the difference between a good modeler and a traditional amp, though.
                      But once you do, there may be no going back.
                      “Practice cures most tone issues” - John Suhr

Comment

There's no going back for me... But for practical reasons.

What I'd really love is a Mesa Boogie Mark V. Great all round amp. That and maybe a Bogner Ecstacy. Both half stacks. I'd put together a nice floorboard of premium effects and I'd be set for life.

But I can't do it, because they're just too loud.

And I don't mean in a "you have to turn them up too high to hit that sweet spot of power tube saturation"... I mean, the neighbours would complain, even at lower volumes. Sure, i probably wouldn't be breaking any laws so the neighbours could kiss my ass, but I don't want bad feelings in my living situation.

The only kind of house I could imagine where such amps would be acceptable is somewhere in the countryside with no neighbours... But it is unlikely I will ever live in a house like that.

So that's the main appeal of modellers for me... Decent sound, ultra-low volume but loud if I want (at gigs).

I sure do appreciate the versatility, range of sounds, lower price, lower weight, ease of recording, etc... But the main one for me is that I can play low volume or even with headphones if I want.

Comment

For me, it is more practical. I don't want to carry heavy amps anymore. I have nothing against great amps- I have a few. But until someone else loads them up for me, I am very happy with my Fractal.

Comment

I have been using L6 products for over 15 years, and each device has been a definite improvement in both sound quality and user-friendliness. Helix has been underground my radar since ir was released, but has a bit steep of a price for me since my last amp purchase, a H&K Grandmeister Deluxe 40 head. I love the amp and it's fully MIDI programmable. I also want to replace my POD HD 500. So I'm now saving for a LT to be my primary studio device, and as a FX pedalboard for the amp via 4CM and MIDI.
                            Guitars:Gibson LP Trad ('57 Classics); Ibanez SEW761FM (TB-16/STK-S7 m&n); Charvel DK24 (TB10/SSL-6/A2Pn), DK22 (HRb/SSL-6 m&n), SoCal Style1 (Distortion set) & SoCal Style2 24 2PT (Fluence OCC); ESP LTD MH-1000HS (TB-14/Lil59n); Effects: Line 6 Helix Floor, Digitech Drop & FreqOut, ME EP-1L6,Shure GLXD16, Headrush MX5;

Comment

See, while I love the M13 and M9, I was disappointed enough with the HD500 (owned it for 5 years) that I didn't even consider the Helix. Still have the M9, DL4, and Variax Acoustic.

Comment

Working...
                              X