2x12 Cab vs 4x12 Cab

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2x12 Cab vs 4x12 Cab

Hey everyone, I haven't been on here in a while but with the holidays coming around I have a question for everyone!
    I am looking at getting another cabinet, this cab would go with an orange head. I was wondering what all I would be missing going with a 2x12 instead of a 4x12. I'm going closed back. Specifically I am going with an Orange PPC212 vs the Orange Crush Pro 4x12.
    If I were to compare the PPC412 vs PPC212 what is really the big difference besides the extra speakers?
    Which would you go with and why?

Re: 2x12 Cab vs 4x12 Cab

I'd go with the PPC212 for two reasons. First of all, it should be significantly lighter and the tonal differences between a 4x12 and a well made & designed 2x12 are minimal. Second the PPC comes stock with V30s which are likely lightyears better than their 'Voice of the World' mystery speakers.

When I first bought my Jubilee head, I paired it with a vintage Marshall 1982B 4x12 loaded with blackback H30s. It sounded great, but having to haul that nearly 100lb cabinet got old in a hurry. In 2007 I replaced it with a ported 2x12 loaded with Emi Wizards. They don't sound exactly the same, but I seriously doubt anyone could pick out the differences in a band mix. The 2x12 also tips the scales at roughly 55lbs loaded. These days I rock a Mini Jubilee through an Egnater Rebel 112X, also loaded with a Wizard. I only bring out the "big guns" if I really need the extra volume, and that doesn't happen all that often.
    Originally posted by crusty philtrum
    And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

Originally posted by dystrust View Post
      I'd go with the PPC212 for two reasons. First of all, it should be significantly lighter and the tonal differences between a 4x12 and a well made & designed 2x12 are minimal. Second the PPC comes stock with V30s which are likely lightyears better than their 'Voice of the World' mystery speakers.

When I first bought my Jubilee head, I paired it with a vintage Marshall 1982B 4x12 loaded with blackback H30s. It sounded great, but having to haul that nearly 100lb cabinet got old in a hurry. In 2007 I replaced it with a ported 2x12 loaded with Emi Wizards. They don't sound exactly the same, but I seriously doubt anyone could pick out the differences in a band mix. The 2x12 also tips the scales at roughly 55lbs loaded. These days I rock a Mini Jubilee through an Egnater Rebel 112X, also loaded with a Wizard. I only bring out the "big guns" if I really need the extra volume, and that doesn't happen all that often.
      What kind of sound do the V30's make? I never have used them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Calsip View Post
        What kind of sound do the V30's make? I never have used them.

If you've played a Mesa Recto cab, you've played through V30s though Mesa V30s aren't exactly the same as what Orange uses.

Other than that, it's safe to assume that most heavy guitar sounds recorded in the last 15 years or so used V30s. If you provide a few examples or artists / tones you're familiar with, someone can probably point out which ones are known to use V30s.
        And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

In this specific case I'd do the 2x12 for the higher quality speakers. If you were comparing the PPC212 to the PPC412 I'd say the 4x12 all day. Bigger, fuller tone, plus the controls are where you can reach them.
          green globe burned black by sunn

Comment

Originally posted by Empty Pockets View Post
            In this specific case I'd do the 2x12 for the higher quality speakers. If you were comparing the PPC212 to the PPC412 I'd say the 4x12 all day. Bigger, fuller tone, plus the controls are where you can reach them.
            +1

My PPC412 is a beast to lug around but maaaaaaan is the sound worth it.

I'd like to acquire the PPC212 for smaller rooms.
            Last edited by B2D; 11-25-2017, 08:43 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the help. I am definitely going to go with the PPC cabinet!

Comment

ive given up on 4x12 cabs mostly for practical size/space/weight/volume reasons. also, 90% of the time the sound man is only micing one speaker so while it may sound huge on stage, the sound guy is getting the same feed. if you are running two heads into one cab then i can see a 4x12 being the way to go for the same practical size/space/weight/volume reasons as i like a 2x12

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
                  ive given up on 4x12 cabs mostly for practical size/space/weight/volume reasons. also, 90% of the time the sound man is only micing one speaker so while it may sound huge on stage, the sound guy is getting the same feed. if you are running two heads into one cab then i can see a 4x12 being the way to go for the same practical size/space/weight/volume reasons as i like a 2x12
                  +1

I haven't sold my 4x12 yet, but it's going up on the block when I pull it out of storage. I've played through it maybe a half dozen times in the last decade.

Comment

I really like my ppc212, it is the open back one which comes standard with Celestion v30s. I would prefer a 2x12 over 4x12 because they are lighter and the only real benefits to a 4x12 are its volume, but even at that, there is only a 2-4 decible differnce. A 4x12 may have a little more low end, but with the ppc212 the low end is alrady overwhelming.
                    "My biggest fear is that when I die my wife will sell my guitars for what I told her they cost" -Anonymous

Main Gear:
                    Orange Rockerverb MKIII 50w
                    Orange ppc212 open back cabinet
                    Jackson dx10d
                    DOD preamp 250 Overdrive
                    MXR Carbon Copy
                    MXR Phase 90 (EVH Version)

Comment

Originally posted by PierceOkken View Post
                      I would prefer a 2x12 over 4x12 because they are lighter and the only real benefits to a 4x12 are its volume, but even at that, there is only a 2-4 decible differnce.
                      Not really. I don't think there's a volume difference because the wattage coming from the head gets splits into more speakers, so each speaker sees less wattage being run through it. A 4x12 does have better spread, and it fills the room more, but it's not much louder if at all.
                      Last edited by Rex_Rocker; 11-27-2017, 03:25 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Rex_Rocker View Post
                        Not really. I don't think there's a volume difference because the wattage coming from the head gets splits into more speakers, so each speaker sees less wattage being run through it. A 4x12 does have better spread, and it fills the room more, but it's not much louder if at all.
                        The same wattage into 4 speakers instead of 2 (all other things remaining the same) is 3db louder. There are a few online calculators for that if you're really curious.

Comment

^This^. It's a theoretical 3db increase, same wattage, doubling # of speakers. Here's a link to the first calculator I came across ... http://myhometheater.homestead.com/splcalculator.html

Comment

I sold my 4x12 and now have a Port City OS 2x12. Hands down the most phenomenal cab I’ve ever owned. I’d put it up against ANY 4x12 out there.

Comment

Another benefit is that you can use low-powered speakers if you like. I still think 20-25 watt greenbacks sound great, but even with a 50 watt amp you really need a 4x12 of them to make sure that they don't blow up.

Comment

Working...
                              X