banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which is your favorite Fender 1x12 tube combo amp?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Which is your favorite Fender 1x12 tube combo amp?

Well, I dig reverb, and I love Fenders for their clean channel + pedal ability, so channel switching with a more modern 'overdrive' channel isn't important to me (and I don't like the way it sounds on the Hot Rods, anyway).
    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Which is your favorite Fender 1x12 tube combo amp?

Originally posted by dr0 View Post
      Yeah, the '68 Custom Deluxe Reverb. It's a lot like the SuperSonic 22, that is a 22 watt amp based on the Deluxe Reverb. The CDR has one channel modded to be like the Bassman, a very tweedy sound. It has the Silverface look, but it's the "Custom" channel that makes it sing. The SuperSonic is DR + 5150 vs Custom DR is DR + Bassman. It's not a channel switcher, though, which I think the SS is.
      Originally posted by jeremy View Post
      ive modded my '66 deluxe reverb a fair amount over the years trying to get different things. at this point i basically have a mildly modified vibrato channel which does all the glorious bf fender reverb tones you want. the normal channel is gutted so there is just a volume control. the only eq is shelving up the bottom in the circuit so its not mushy. its not footswitchable but i use an a/b switch to switch between them. not quite a 5e3 tone but it does that type of thing well. lets me have a scooped sound with reverb and a fat non-reverb sound and that covers all the ground i need most of the time
      This is great, thank you both. It feels like a 68 CDR with some modding love might be perfect.

Could I get a cleaner vintage channel and dirtier bassman channel but similar volume just by swapping the tubes?

My main problem with with one channel amps is getting louder clean tones.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
      Last edited by Blille; 01-11-2018, 12:20 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by dr0 View Post

Probably my favorite color is the Classic Brownface 1961-1983. Also, seeing as I find Reverb over-rated ...

[ATTACH=CONFIG]86010[/ATTACH]

If you are really into Brownface amps, look into Cutthroat Audio Amps. The Down Brownie is it.
        Last edited by hamerfan; 01-11-2018, 01:12 PM.
        I get the feeling the A8 will blow your skirt up more so - Edgecrusher

Smooth trades with Jerryjg, ArtieToo, Theodie, Micah, trevorus, Pierre, pzaxtl, damian1122, Thames, Diocletian, Kevinabb, Fakiekid, oilpit, checo, BachToRock, majewsky, joyouswolf, Koreth, Pontiac Jack, Jeff_H

Comment

Originally posted by Blille View Post
          This is great, thank you both. It feels like a 68 CDR with some modding love might be perfect.

Could I get a cleaner vintage channel and dirtier bassman channel but similar volume just by swapping the tubes?

My main problem with with one channel amps is getting louder clean tones.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
          by putting a hot tube in the bassman side and a 5751 in the deluxe side you might be able to get closer to what you want. the reason my amp works so well is because there are only two stages of gain for the dirty channel but they are hotter than a normal fender circuit and there is no loss due to the tone stack. the vibrato channel has three stages of gain in normal fender reverb style and normal losses due to the bf tone stack.

Comment

5e3 tweed deluxe never fails to deliver...but i would buy a handbuilt clone rather than a fender branded one. Just as nice but a lot less bucks.
            Dirty, rude, rich. Just generally pure rocking tweed attitude.

Deluxe reverb for reverb and a lot more clean headroom, but for this one definitely a clone. Much superior build quality, although i guess getting a fender means you can probably sell it for more or less the same value you buy it for (if you go second hand). Sweet, refined, spacy but with enough raunch for a lot of stuff if you crank it.

These two amps are pretty definitive. The rest are all just good workhorses. Whatever you do, make getting a solid pine cabinet a priority.
            Last edited by Chickenwings; 01-11-2018, 06:46 PM.
            "Technique is really the elimination of the unneccessary ... it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to acheive the smooth flow of energy and intent"
            Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

Just found out about the Rivera modded 68 CDR, wow is that amp killer. But, for $950 more than a standard 68 CDR I'd never be able to justify buying one, since I play mostly heavier styles.
              As far as the Mesa's go, if you aren't into super high gain or complicated controls, used Lone Stars, Electra Dynes, and Blue Angels go for less than new Deluxe Reverbs, Subway Rockets for considerably less. Mk II-IV combos are usually under $1000 as well (except IIC/C+)
              sigpic
              Gibson LP Trad Pro II->Various pedals->MEsa Boogie MkV->Owensby/219 Guitar Works Vertical Slant 2x12 w/WGS ET-65 and Veteran 30.

Comment

First off thanks for this long posting. I've learned a lot spending time here and reading the thoughtful replies people like you write.

Originally posted by Boogie Bill View Post
                Random thoughts...

You don't need the exotic wood cabinet on a Mesa amp to have a great amp. They are beautiful, but you do pay for it. They also do custom vinyl.
                I appreciate the beauty of their amps, but I don't even have guitars that fancy. I'm sort of a black Tele kinda guy, so basic black amps are great with me.
                I assume something like that is a "Trophy Amp" that you keep at home in your music room. I don't even like taking my Marshall JCM-800 on gigs much because it's in such nice shape for it's age (and is a factory red tolex combo). I can't imagine carting a purple flamed maple Boogie into some dive bar.

The Triple Crown amps have a more "British" feel with their EL34s, but along with high-gain, they do clean and mid-gain very well. Channel Two is amazing on this amp! The Santana-esque soaring lead tone is there, and beyond. I'm a blues-classic rock-pop-country kind of guy...the TC-50 can handle anything.
                That's great to know I'll see if I can find one. My idea for my "next amp" is combining my two favorites, the JCM-800 and the Bassman Reissue. I've already sort of scoped out the Mesa Lone Star 4x10 cab as the ideal speakers I have in mind for it.

Mesa has done several 212 combos in the past: the Nomads, Heartbreaker, Trem-O-Verb, F-100, Royal Atlantic, TA-30, Maverick...to name a few. But THE 212 rig to have is one of their 112s, like a Nomad 45, DC-3, Mark III, or Mark IV, et.al. on top of their 112 Theile cab.
                Yes, this makes sense. I see this size of small stack, with either a combo or small "lunchbox" head on the top is a new thing right now and agree it makes sense. What is the "Theile cab" and what makes it so different from other 1x12 extension cabs?

I prefer the EVM speaker. Two pieces, so it's more portable and a smaller stage footprint, and it elevates the knobs to a much more comfortable level. Mesa has really explored this for many years. I have the DC-3, Mark III, Mark IV and Mark V:35 combos, and use a 112 EVM Thiele when I gig with my band. For a local jam, I can take just the combo. They also make a 112 Wide-Body Closed Back cab that is Thiele-ported. My big Mark V combo has the Celestion C90, and the WBCB cab has a V30. I LOVE THIS RIG! It sounds huge, even on the 10-watt setting.

You should also include the Mark V:35 on your list of possibles. I love my big bottle amps, but there are not many gigs you could not do with this amp...especially with the Thiele. And the Cab-Clone lets you practice silently with headphones, or feed the board directly in a live situation.
                I think that a 35 watt might work. The Bassman RI is only 45 and it's plenty, a never turn it up past noon. I did find out that 15 watts isn't enough through experimentation. Sometimes it works, sometimes it's just not quite enough, and sometimes it's WAY not enough. It's a great size for practicing alone though.

Regarding the "simplicity' of single channel amps...

Is having a one trick pony amp and four distortion pedals simpler than a two-or three channel amp? Really now.
                No, not really. It is probably easier to dial in the sound I hear though. I like a very clean distortion, which is easy to get with the two OD boxes I use. One in a while I'll use a digital delay, it doesn't sound bad to me in front of the amp, but I have to admit I haven't used it on an effects look much. Boxes can be a little fiddly, I agree and I do think going with just an amp and maybe some stuff in an effects loop is theoretically the way to go. I've just never worked on it enough to get there.

When I used to play with my Orange AD-140 I sometimes went pedal-less, or at trimmed down to one OD just to spice things up. Mostly: need a big vehicle for that cab! Here's one from a 15 years ago. Looks like a Maxxon. Digital Delay and Tuner were the order of the day. I like having the tuner in front of the amp for the "instant silent" feature, which I use between songs sometimes. That would be hard to replace on an effects loop.

Click image for larger version

Name:	crash-at-kellys-close-small.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	144.8 KB
ID:	5804856

And yes, those Deluxe Reverb amps sound great cranked. Until you want to use a delay...doesn't sound very good now...unnatural. Most of those amps don't have efx loops...unlike the Mesas, which have very good loops.
                I've noticed that with chorus and flangers, too, now that you mention it which is why I think I never use them.

Funny you should mention that soft compression. In the late '70s, early '80s, I got a chance to demo two Dumble amps. Both the original Mesas and Dumble amps were based on BF Fender amps. That bit of compression and sustain is what I remember most about thoes Dumbles. Hard to describe it...very touch dynamic, yet liquid under my fingertips. A very seductive feel. I never felt that with any of my Fenders, but when I bought my first Mesa, a 180-watt Mark III head, there it was. Had to have the Master above 2.5, but once in the sweet spot it is glorious! That little bit of compression is not a bad thing.
                That "dynamic yet liquid under my fingertips" is a very good description of what I like about the JCM-800 and Orange that the Bassman just doesn't have, even with a couple fuzz-boxes stacked up in front of it.

Finally, if you're trying to compete against a guy with a 50 or 100-watt half-stack and your little Ampeg ain't cutting it...well, neither is a 15-22 watt open-back combo. Need a minimum of 35-50 watts.
                Yes, 50 Watts has always seemed like the perfect size to me. A lot of people think (for instance) that the JCM-2204 (50 Watt Version) sounds nicer than the JCM-2203 (100 Watt Version).
                With a Theile cab!

Bill
                Again, thanks. You've given me a whole different direction to move my thinking and experiments into.

"For old fashioned blues and rock, something about heavy tubes, heavy transformers, heavy speakers and heavy cabinets just works." PFDarkside

Comment

Can't pick just one

Blues Junior III (tweed)
                  - Best all around little tube amp for whatever, IMO

Deluxe Reverb (black)
                  - If I'm going classic old school, for really classic Fender, I like this

Hot Rod Deluxe III (black, mutli-channel)
                  - This would be my small band, play-out Fender of choice
                  Originally posted by Bad City
                  He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Deluxe Reverb, or any that are 6V6 based. Mini-Marshall.

Comment

I'm a big Fender fan and currently own the following:
                      1) '57 custom deluxe 5E3 (a Fender clone)
                      2) Excelsior w/ Emi Legend 1518 (discontinued sometime back)
                      3) Blues Junior converted to a head.
                      4) Supersonic 22 (both combo and head...their issues have been remedied)
                      5) Blues Deluxe Reissue

I love 'em all. Each has it's own characteristics and the necessary application dictates which I use. OP did not state if he is looking to purchase one, but if so, it'll depend on how he plans to use it as to which best suits.

If I were looking for a new Fender, I'd thoroughly test the new 68 Custom Vibrolux (2X10). Would love to have a '59 Bassman ltd. (4X10), but it's too heavy and loud for my needs.
                      Last edited by IM4Tone; 01-13-2018, 01:09 PM.

Comment

Dr0...more thoughts...

Re: effects loops. Not all effects belong in the loop. Definitely tuner, OD/DIST/FUZZ, compression and WAH in front of the amp; I also have my clean boost in front. I have a Boss pitch shifter/harmonizer and my two delays in the loop. I would also put reverb and tremolo pedals in the loop. Chorus and phasor are out front, but I might put a VIBE in the loop. Have to experiment with one.

Delay into a clean amp sounds great, but if you're cranking the amp for distortion...not so much. That loop is one of the reasons I like the Mesas over the Fenders. It is a very valuable feature for me.

With your Bassman, have you tried using a tube rectifier? Another trick is to use a lower gain preamp tune in V1, like a 12AT7 or 12AY7. These, and making the bias right on the power tubes can make the amp feel squishier.

Thiele was an Australian engineer that came up with parameters and formulas for maximizing speakers in a box. Calculating speaker resonance, box size, etc., Thiele popularized the use of a port to produce the deepest bass response with minimal distortion.

The Mesa Thiele cab is a small but deep closed-back 112 cab, with a mathmatically designed port. Its bass performance and projection are maximized. Especially with the EVM speakers, the 112 Mark III and IV combos sound huge with the Thiele. These Mesas have a deliberate mid-range voicing that curtails bass, and the Thiele cab adds back that deep bass, ala a great 412...but in a much more portable and vehicle-friendly size.

Bill
                        When you've had budget guitars for a number of years, you may find that your old instrument is holding you back. A quality guitar can inspire you to write great songs, improve your understanding of the Gdim chord while in the Lydian Mode, cure the heartbreak of cystic acne--and help you find true love in the process.

Comment

DRRI, wine-red, bordeaux blues edition. I traded the Jensen alnico for a Celestion A type a few months back.

With my 339 or my Strat plus, it's probably my best amp, although I'm also addicted to my Bassbreaker 007 with Fender Bassbreaker 112 cab also these days.

The DRRI:

Name:	IMG_1143.jpg
Size:	139.4 KB
ID:	5804872s

The Celestion:

Name:	IMG_5608.jpg
Size:	53.3 KB
ID:	5804873
                          Last edited by Inkstained; 01-15-2018, 12:55 PM.

Originally posted by nedcronin
                          Pretty much what you suggested Ink.
                          Originally posted by metalmachine
                          dont worry about it bro. even if we dont like it...... were just internet ppl. not real ppl. more like a hulicination of a mythical forest creature.

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                            Well, I dig reverb, and I love Fenders for their clean channel + pedal ability, so channel switching with a more modern 'overdrive' channel isn't important to me (and I don't like the way it sounds on the Hot Rods, anyway).
                            I agree!
                            Fender should offer a Hot Rod/Blues Deluxe model with no drive channel.
                            Keep it simple and charge us less!!!
                            Even the George Benson model has the drive channel....I bet he's never pushed that button!
                            Since they'd have 2 empty holes on the control panel they could add a mix and dwell for the reverb and still charge us less!!!
                            Last edited by saladin; 01-17-2018, 11:20 AM.
                            Trainspotter

"...the real key is a good warm delay and lots of lysergic acid diethylamid"

Comment

Put me in the Hot Rod Deluxe camp. Had mine for years and she works great.
                              Originally posted by Ball&Chain
                              Orange beer just doesnt taste near as good as red. Im sure you will find that in the bible somewhere.

Comment

These two make me very happy.

Comment

Working...
                                X