banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Is Better Sounding Than A Plexi Marshall?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What Is Better Sounding Than A Plexi Marshall?

So what role does amp #34 play in the above discussion? I ask this because I looked up the AFD100 reviews and it can operate in two modes: AFD (#39, #36 ?) and #34.
    Last edited by Lake Placid Blues; 08-21-2018, 05:19 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by dystrust View Post
      I don't know about the original #39, but Tim will do an effects loop if you want the #39 mod for your amp. He also offers it with 1 extra gain stage (like the original #39) or with 2 extra gain stages (like #36). If you opt for both added gain stages, Tim's mod includes a bypass switch for the second stage unlike #36.

Slash started using Jubilees sometime in 1988; if you watch the '88 VMAs (Sept. '88) Slash's backline is all Jubilees. Prior to that he was using a 2203 slaved into a 2210 with four 4x12s which he seems to have acquired in the Summer of '86 based on photos in the Reckless Road book. Slash's sound with the 2203 wasn't anything special IMO, and it can be heard on Live at the Ritz from Feb. '88 if you're that interested. I'd guess he switched to Jubilees as a readily available option that sounded closer to his AFD album tone.

As an interesting side note, Slash rented SIR #39 for the Illusions sessions but was unable to duplicate his AFD tone even after recording in the same room in the same cheap studio where the AFD overdubs were originally cut. The general consensus is that Slash didn't know that he'd actually used #36 on AFD because SIR didn't want to tell him that George Lynch had already rented #39. After the unsuccessful tone search, Slash ended up using a Jubilee on Illusions.
      He used jubes with a boss geq and some other stuff in the loop to try and get his sound. But I’m not the biggest slash fan, so you would know more than I would about the dates he used what.

Yes the original 39 was three stages, the Levi 36 is 4, and the afd is 4 with parallel input.

Comment

Originally posted by Joey Voltage View Post
        39 was the original caswell modded amp, 36 was the one Levi modded to be like the 39 after it was always requested as a rental at SIR. Slash originally stole the 39 because he liked it so much and wanted to buy it, until the crew at SIR stole it back. I think it was 36 that was used to cut afd because the 39 was on loan to George Lynch at the time. Slash later bought the 36, and that’s what marshal used for the afd. Nobody knows what happened to 39.

The afd is still a little different from both. It uses a parallel input stage unlike the 36 or 39, and has add ins like fx loop and power scaling.

I don’t think slash started using jubes until the uyi tours. He used them because he needed something reliable for touring.
        I think Slash's best tone was on Civil War. Love it!

Comment

Originally posted by Blille View Post
          I came here to say this. So thank you.
          Me too
          Who took my guitar?

Comment

dystrust.... when you say a 2203 slaved into a 2210, what exactly do you mean? Is the 2203 running through the effects loop of the 2210? I know the 2203/2204 are generally regarded as having better tone than the 2205/2210, but I guess I just don't understand the process of slaving an amp or what purpose it serves.

Thanks....Jeff
            My Sound Clips

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff_H View Post
              dystrust.... when you say a 2203 slaved into a 2210, what exactly do you mean? Is the 2203 running through the effects loop of the 2210? I know the 2203/2204 are generally regarded as having better tone than the 2205/2210, but I guess I just don't understand the process of slaving an amp or what purpose it serves.

Thanks....Jeff
              That's based on a few pics of his rig from back then, but he appears to be running a line out from the 2203 to the 2210 effects return; essentially using the 2210 as a power amp to drive an extra pair of 4x12s.
              Originally posted by crusty philtrum
              And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

Originally posted by treyhaislip View Post
                Totally depends on style and needs...kinda like saying does any guitar sound better than a '59 Les Paul?
                Well no, nothing does.

Comment

Originally posted by misterwhizzy View Post
                  Well no, nothing does.
                  Nah... overrated
                  "So understand/Don't waste your time always searching for those wasted years/Face up, make your stand/And realize you're living in the golden years"
                  Iron Maiden - Wasted Years

Comment

I hate saying better, but many Marshall lovers move to Bogner Helios or Ecstasy or Metropoulos Metro Plex. Any of those amps will inspire you, no matter if you still love old Plexis.
                    Originally posted by Boogie Bill
                    I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

I have a bunch of Marshalls and my main amp has been a Bogner XTC for a long time.

If I had the money, my next amp would be the new Helios Eclipse. Ridonculous tone!
                      Originally posted by Boogie Bill
                      I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

Originally posted by Gearjoneser View Post
                        I have a bunch of Marshalls and my main amp has been a Bogner XTC for a long time.

If I had the money, my next amp would be the new Helios Eclipse. Ridonculous tone!
                        I would buy one, but I'd hate to be the guy who has to say "I have a Bogner" whenever someone asks me about my amp. I much prefer Friedman to standard Marshalls though these days.
                        You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
                        Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

Originally posted by Chistopher View Post
                          I would buy one, but I'd hate to be the guy who has to say "I have a Bogner" whenever someone asks me about my amp. I much prefer Friedman to standard Marshalls though these days.
                          What's wrong with that?
                          "So understand/Don't waste your time always searching for those wasted years/Face up, make your stand/And realize you're living in the golden years"
                          Iron Maiden - Wasted Years

Comment

Originally posted by LLL View Post
                            Those of you who have played a real plexi or an amp that has a general plexi circuit...

Is there any amp out there that sounds better; new or old?

***change my mind***

Comment

Originally posted by devastone View Post
                              You can't see from the picture, but I'm 95% sure he's trying to keep his Bogner out of shot.
                              You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
                              Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

You can't see from the picture, but I'm 95% sure he's trying to keep his Bogner out of shot.
                                Is that what the kids are calling it now days?

Comment

Working...
                                X