Hum. How to diagnose (and repair)?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hum. How to diagnose (and repair)?

So my JCA50 has a pretty bad sixty-cycle hum. Other amps in the same socket don't have it nearly as bad. It seems to have to do with the power section, because preamp volume only affects it very, very slightly, and it happens even with V1, V2, or V3 pulled. Is it possible that the bias is too hot? Is it just house wiring or maybe less-than-perfect amp design? Any ideas on how to solve it? I don't mind getting in there if need be, but it's easier to replace preamp tubes, for example, than to remove the whole amp from the chassis and mess with bias.

In the process, I changed V1, V2, and V3 just to see if there was any noticeable difference with different tubes, and there was not.

Re: Hum. How to diagnose (and repair)?

Ebtech Hum X.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

No ideas from me, but I'm anxious to see what you learn.
      I am so close to retirement that I could play in a band full time. All I have to do is figure out what to use instead of money, improve my playing, learn some songs, and find some other musicians more talented than me who will do exactly as they're told. .

Comment

First thing to do is plug it in somewhere else. Eliminate the house wiring if possible.

Is this humming something that just started happening or has it been there since you first owned the amp?

Comment

Fluorescent backlighting?

Mine did a howl not so much a hum
          It turned out to be a soldier joint on one of the tube sockets
          Yours could be similar or a cable routed too close to something inside
          Really hard to tell without diving in

EDIT
          could be simple as a bad tube
          EHD
          Just here surfing Guitar Pron
          RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
          SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
          Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
          Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
          Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
          Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
          GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

My first thought is to bring the amp to another building. Does it still hum with nothing plugged into it?
            Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Well, I've been in the house seven years, and I thought I had remembered the inspector saying something about the upstairs wiring. I was hoping it was something there that I could fix at the outlet. No such luck. The outlet was grounded perfectly, based on my multimeter test.

So I have a Hum-X on order. Twenty percent off at Musician's Friend at least makes it worth a try.

Comment

Let us know if that fixes the issue.

Comment

This is a known issue with that amp. The heater traces need to be raised above the pcb. Do a search in the mlp forum and you'll find details. Just know that you'll need to cut some traces by removing the board I believe. Then you'll have to rerun wire that is raised up from the board.

If you can't find the thread pm me and I'll help you find it.

Edit:
                  Found it.
                  I got a pair of clean used ones from that blowout. Saved an extra $70 per amp. Cheap bastard, I is.
                  Last edited by slaveunit; 10-24-2018, 08:37 PM.

Comment

Thanks a lot for looking it up. My sub-par Google-Fu wasn't cutting the muster. I'm afraid I might have to do exactly what he did. I'll give the Hum-X a shot, but I'm not optimistic after seeing this.

Comment

Originally posted by misterwhizzy View Post
                      Thanks a lot for looking it up. My sub-par Google-Fu wasn't cutting the muster. I'm afraid I might have to do exactly what he did. I'll give the Hum-X a shot, but I'm not optimistic after seeing this.
                      You're welcome. What made it worse is that the the mlp search function isn't working. So I felt guilty and just figured that I would dig it out for you.

That same fix is what removed the hum from mine. Notice the settings that I had the op of the thread test with. Does yours react the same?

Comment

Originally posted by slaveunit View Post
                        That same fix is what removed the hum from mine. Notice the settings that I had the op of the thread test with. Does yours react the same?
                        Yes. On both channels, the hum is there with the preamp drive all the way down, and it gets louder with increasing master volume. Doesn't sound like a lot of fun to pull the board and all the knobs, etc., but if that's what it takes, I'll go ahead and do it. I've already converted the crunch channel to a bit more Marshally setup, and I could put a sweep pot and/or a replacement bias trimmer in there while it's out. Or just go all in and make the bias points external. And I've been debating since I got it as to whether or not I want a depth pot.

But one thing at a time. And I should probably watch a video on how to cut traces first.

Comment

My best guess is that this will be your fix.

The depth control is pretty simple and well worth it imo. I was just reading about the sweep pot. Sounds pretty cool too.

Best of luck with it. Please report back once completed. This thread may help others in the future.

Comment

Well, the Hum-X arrived today, and unfortunately will be going back probably tomorrow. It made no difference whatsoever, so it looks like I'll have to rerun the heater traces above the PCB. Finding time to do that is the tricky part.

Comment

Yikes...so that means the noise is from the amp itself, I guess.

Comment

Working...
                              X