Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Speakers...

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
    i have a v30/g12h loaded 2x12 cab which i think sounds great, it also gives the sound guy two options for what he wants to hear in house
    who cares what he wants???
    "New stuff always sucks" -Me

Comment

i do, the rest of the band does, and the audience does.

Comment

You don't want to piss off:
        your spouse
        your surgeon
        your cook
        your sound engineer.

Sent from my Alcatel_5044C using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Adieu View Post
          V30 is rated 60w-70w

Thirty appears to be metric-speak for 12 inches
          Lol no way. The V30 was developed as a modernized version of Celestion's famed 30w Alnico Blue.
          ••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
          ••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
          ••••••••••••••••••••••••••

Comment

except the alnico blue is only 15w the v30 was designed to be a high power speaker with a similar tone to the alnico blue, they found the heavy magnet had similar energy to the magnet on the blue. not idea where the 30 comes from though

Comment

except the alnico blue is only 15w the v30 was designed to be a high power speaker with a similar tone to the alnico blue, they found the heavy magnet had similar energy to the magnet on the blue. not idea where the 30 comes from though
              No idea how accurate it is, but I've heard they named it Vintage 30 because it ended up sounding more like a G12H than a Blue.
              Originally posted by crusty philtrum
              And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

Originally posted by dystrust View Post
                No idea how accurate it is, but I've heard they named it Vintage 30 because it ended up sounding more like a G12H than a Blue.
                I suspected something like this. Or may be I heard that too somewhere and didn't remember...
                "So understand/Don't waste your time always searching for those wasted years/Face up, make your stand/And realize you're living in the golden years"
                Iron Maiden - Wasted Years

Comment

Originally posted by Adieu View Post
                  who cares what he wants???
                  i do, the rest of the band does, and the audience does.
                  AND....if you want another booking, you should!

Comment

Originally posted by Demanic View Post
                    You don't want to piss off:
                    your spouse
                    your surgeon
                    your cook
                    your sound engineer.

Sent from my Alcatel_5044C using Tapatalk
                    YEP!! Sound guy in particular as he has the SUCK button as in can make YOU SUCK in the mix!!
                    Guitars
                    Kiesel DC 135, Carvin AE 185, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, DC 127 Quilt Purple, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120.
                    Amps PRS Archon 50 head, MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

Comment

i have a v30/g12h loaded 2x12 cab which i think sounds great, it also gives the sound guy two options for what he wants to hear in house
                      Take you play in clubs not Church as in the latter who is ever normally going to hear you in the house??
                      Guitars
                      Kiesel DC 135, Carvin AE 185, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, DC 127 Quilt Purple, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120.
                      Amps PRS Archon 50 head, MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

Comment

Originally posted by BloodRose View Post
                        Trying to decide on speakers is proving to be a mind numbing task.. I dont have money to try and swap around.. So need to be pretty certain.

I have some questions tho..
                        First, did some searching and seems like several have said they find WGS as good if not better than Emi. There are so many options.. Im considering going with the standards of an x of Green backs/vin 30s. Based on WGS' descriptions, they have models based on those, but say theirs are tweaked to dial out the bad points of the celestions.

In regards to Celestions.. It appears that the Heritage series are made in UK and more pricey.
                        What I find interesting is that the Heritage Green back is $199 and the EVH speaker is also made in UK but oddly, it is much less. Id expect it to be more as having EVH's name.. The thing with that those, is that they are rated like 20watts. Doesnt seem to me they would handle a 100 watt head.

How does one know what ohm rating to get?

Davastone, you recommend in a few threads the Classic Lead 80. and the WGS version. Why is that?

Vintage 30 is 30watts, correct? The WGS "version" is rated at 60. Would that be a big mismatch with "greenbacks" at 25?

Anyone tried the George Lynch Celestion?

I could go on and on with questions... Again , its boggling my mind
                        thanks for any help. or even alt suggestions

I have the Lynchbacks in a Legacy 212 cab. I would say these are a great blend of Modern vs Vintage tone. It brings some of the good points the V30 has to the table and blends it with a more Greenback bark. The harshness of the upper mids and massive lows of the V30 are not here. the Lynchback really helps you fit in the mix without needing to crank volume.

hopefully someone already explained the Ohm ratings for you.

Comment

Originally posted by Ascension View Post
                          Take you play in clubs not Church as in the latter who is ever normally going to hear you in the house??
                          yes. clubs and festival style gigs for the most part. havent played in church in 15+ years, although when i did i was using a 100w evil twin and everyone in the sanctuary could hear me just fine without any re-enforcement

Comment

Working...
                          X