Best Marshall in a Box.........

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Best Marshall in a Box.........

This chronic cheapskate wholeheartedly agrees with you. I've tried for years to get a Marshall tone on the cheap, and you're right. Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, but there's nothing like the real thing.

Until I can afford the real thing, though, I'll have to make do with a clone. I picked up a Jet City 50-watt head for about $300, and after swapping for EL34s and tweaking the preamp here and there for a few months, I decided to go all-in and just convert it component for component to a JCM800 2204. I've never been happier with my tone.
    Last edited by misterwhizzy; 06-24-2019, 05:39 PM.

Comment

Those 20-watt studio Classic and Vintage heads might be a good solution as well. I played the vintage one and while it's not a full up JMP/Plexi it for sure copped the vibe. I'd love to try the classic version.

Comment

Originally posted by B2D View Post
        Those 20-watt studio Classic and Vintage heads might be a good solution as well. I played the vintage one and while it's not a full up JMP/Plexi it for sure copped the vibe. I'd love to try the classic version.
        I've yet to encounter a Vintage or Classic in the wild, but I've had a Mini Jubilee since mid-2017, and an original 2555 since mid-2001. With the right tube compliment, they're shockingly close. If I have both powered up and swap cables between them, the 2555 is obviously louder and just slightly thicker in the low mids. Other than that, I can't really tell them apart. The 2525H is good enough, that I've played through the 2555 maybe half a dozen times since getting the Mini. The only big difference between them is how they respond to different power tubes. The 2555 doesn't seem to care what's in the power section unless you're playing louder than the voice of God. I once tried a set of KT-88s and it was a little bit louder and bassier; that was it. The 2525H OTOH sounds very different with different brands of EL-34s. The stock Tung-Sols have a bright, glassy, and almost Fender-like clean tone. On the overdrive channel they're piercingly bright and thin, and the high end is hard to control. With JJ EL-34s it sounds virtually identical to the 2555. LakePlacidBlues has tried a ton of different tubes in his Mini and could provide even more feedback than I can.
        Originally posted by crusty philtrum
        And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

Originally posted by dystrust View Post
          With JJ EL-34s it sounds virtually identical to the 2555. LakePlacidBlues has tried a ton of different tubes in his Mini and could provide even more feedback than I can.
          This is good to know. The JVM is at my amp tech right now getting a new set of JJ’s and a bias.

Those classic series amps look awesome. I can see the plexi and JCM800 versions being useful for getting that power tube saturation at a lower volume. The newer Marshall’s get their gain more from the preamp than from overdriving the power section, and the JVM was getting pretty good tones at a reasonable volume, that just gets better as you get the tubes cooking.

Comment

Quick update, the amp came back from my amp tech last week rebiased and retubed with a new set of JJs. Took it to rehearsal last night and cranked it up to about half volume for a couple of hours through a 4x12 with bassist, drums, rhythm guitarist and singer. It sounded glorious and working through all six modes from clean to metal each one proved excellent. I think my current favorites are clean green, crunch red and OD Amber. I could play a whole classic rock gig with just the crunch red channel - classic Marshall tone that sounded perfect for Free and Bad Company tunes. The OD Amber was perfect for all my favorite Van Halen and Iron Maiden numbers. The other band mates really liked the tones too. Very impressed with the JVM 50 watt and may now be on the lookout for a good deal on the 410h 100w version!

Comment

This old school guy loves what you're doin' there!
              "Live by the Groove, Die by the Groove."

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyO View Post
                Quick update, the amp came back from my amp tech last week rebiased and retubed with a new set of JJs. Took it to rehearsal last night and cranked it up to about half volume for a couple of hours through a 4x12 with bassist, drums, rhythm guitarist and singer. It sounded glorious and working through all six modes from clean to metal each one proved excellent. I think my current favorites are clean green, crunch red and OD Amber. I could play a whole classic rock gig with just the crunch red channel - classic Marshall tone that sounded perfect for Free and Bad Company tunes. The OD Amber was perfect for all my favorite Van Halen and Iron Maiden numbers. The other band mates really liked the tones too. Very impressed with the JVM 50 watt and may now be on the lookout for a good deal on the 410h 100w version!
                I have a 205C, and in my opinion you have found the most useful channels in it. I do wish that the red crunch had a bit more, well, crunch, and in time I might see if it is possible to get more gain out of the last gain stage. I don't really need the red OD, so sacrificing it would not be a loss to me. As far as Marshall tones go, I think this is the one to get, unless you can afford an assortment of vintage amps and can play them loud.

Comment

Working...
                X