No announcement yet.

NGD: Custom Mauler 2X12 with H&K GrandMeister Deluxe 40

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

right, just push that sucker on a little further but it looks like its making contact already. im guessing no meter?

Comment

Yeah, I have a meter, but you guys are speaking a foreign language to me when it comes to how to test if a cab is hooked up. I would not know where to begin on my meter besides in the ohm range, other than that all the 200k and 2000k and all that sh!t does not make any sense to me at all.

Other than that I tried to push that wire terminal down. I cannot get it to budge and I do not want to break anything.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20200818_185601.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	63.3 KB
ID:	6010548
      Soundcloud

Comment

So, I hooked the H&K up to my 2x15, 8 ohm bass cab. I turned the master volume up a bit. I have audio. I turned the master volume up halfway, it got louder but did not seem super loud.

Anyway, if the amp has audio, is that a good sign? Is the head okay? I already turned it off.
        Soundcloud

Comment

If you still have audio out of the amp, that is good. If you fried the tranny you wouldn't have anything.

Sent from my Alcatel_5044C using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Demanic View Post
            If you still have audio out of the amp, that is good. If you fried the tranny you wouldn't have anything.

Thanks dude! You just helped my anxiety level go from a 10 down to a 3. I can deal with the 2x12 cab, and yeah, Mauler did a great job. This thing is gorgeous and he even did a great job with the wiring, seriously, he actually built this thing to be heavy duty. Including the wiring. I imagine this shipment saw some rough roads during its travel, but yeah, I will get the cab fixed eventually. I always fry speakers when I try to do this stuff, so forgive me for not wanting to try. It happens every time. One time, Hartke was really nice to me and they covered it under warranty. Since then, I have never attempted it again. I do not want to make companies pay for my mistakes, I do not believe in that.
            Soundcloud

Comment

How did you fry a speaker fixing the connection to it? Usually, the worst that happens is, if you are running multiple speakers, one winds up out of phase.
              As anxious as you are, put it away until tomorrow. Then look at it with fresh eyes.

Comment

Then, based on the photo, pull the back off the cab and check the connections to the speakers.

Comment

How did you fry a speaker fixing the connection to it? Usually, the worst that happens is, if you are running multiple speakers, one winds up out of phase.
                  As anxious as you are, put it away until tomorrow. Then look at it with fresh eyes.

I do not remember. I was trying to replace one of the drivers in a Hartke aluminum cone 2x15 back in the day. I really thought I nailed it. Then, it didn't work. Maybe I left the soldering iron on a connection too long? I always tend to over-solder connections. I just remember bringing it to a shop in NE Minneapolis and they said I fried a speaker but that Hartke agreed to replace it, free of charge. Thanks again, Hartke!

Good idea. I will take another look at it tomorrow. Thanks.
                  Soundcloud

Comment

Then, based on the photo, pull the back off the cab and check the connections to the speakers.

Cool. I will do that. I will try to find time to take the back off tomorrow and I'll share some photos. Maybe I will need to get a non-butane soldering iron and just attempt it myself. I hope I don't ruin anything. It would be nice to use this cab though!
                    Soundcloud

Comment

I suppose that over soldering could do it. Remember, wires conduct heat as well as electricity. If you cook them long enough, you can melt the insulation. Probably more easily with a butane iron.

Comment

Took the back off. Here is the culprit... but anybody know where it belongs to make this cab 8 ohms?

Also, I requested two CRex speakers... how did I get a Swamp Thang?

Maybe Mauler is not the right choice for my bass cabs

Click image for larger version

Name:	20200818_235419.jpg
Views:	385
Size:	54.1 KB
ID:	6010613
                        Soundcloud

Comment

I sent Mauler a message and asked him about the Swamp Thang. I asked him to please make this right. This whole experience has been unacceptable. He asked me for $500 to build this, I was so happy he said he could do it that I paid him $600.

Now this is my experience? I am not happy at all.

Soundcloud

Comment

You shouldn't be. Send it back.
                            On their dime.

Comment

That's why I put my faith in no one!! Some places I wonder how the hell they stay in business. Since this was a custom order they should have had a build sheet with your specs and no way to sway from it. At that point I look at it as shenanigans, maybe they think you're young and dumb and/or will never pull the back and only had one of what you wanted, who knows. At this point it's a pain in the ass for you regardless of what happened especially since this isn't your forte. Hopefully it gets sorted with the least amount of effort on your part.

Regarding the mystery wire. I always start with where does it reach since it's possibly cut to length? Then plug it in and see if you get the reading you're looking for. Or look at a wiring schematic for the setup you have and trace it out. But since you paid them to do this right and it's not your thing to be doing it yourself. I know anything I've ever made would never come loose in transit or any other way since I do strain tests on everything which I would think that would be common practice, especially with a custom shop. Sorry for rant but people need to get their **** together, especially when they get paid good money to do it.

Comment

I am giving Mauler a chance to make this cab right, but I will be looking for a new custom cab builder for all future cabs at this point. Most businesses in this situation would be making sure I am happy, no matter what. I am not getting that impression with Mauler, and to be fair, this was clearly their mistake.

I am not sure if I even want to send this whole cab back to him. I should probably just have him send me the speaker because who knows if he will even send me the cab back at this point. I guess I could report him to Facebook if he were to do that.

I find it difficult to trust him right now. This cab is not what I ordered and how many months would have gone by before I noticed the speakers were not what I wanted? If this cab did not show up DOA, I would have never known.
                                Soundcloud

Comment

Working...
                                X