No announcement yet.

Want Opinion on a Topic That’s Been Covered A Million Times

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I used the DSL for my post-hardcore gig and it worked beautifully. I used a Rangemaster clone stacked with an MXR D+ to hit the front of the amp and I was good to go.

Comment

I'm not in front of the Boss GE-7 pedal I'm using in the loop now, but from memory:
      - Cut the 800Hz by ~7db
      - Bump 1.6 and 3.2Khz slightly
      - Cut 6.4Khz by ~10db - very good to get rid of the buzz. I love high gain but I hate the fizzy sound with passion.
      - Raise the level ever so slightly to make up for the volume loss if needed.
      The EQ pedal is very sensitive, it reacts immediately to little changes.
      Then, on the DSL side:
      - Gain to taste
      - High at 4
      - Mids at 7 yeah, I'm a barking Marshall old f4rt
      - Bass at 6
      - Presence at 2
      - Resonance 0
      Of course, YMMV. My settings are more mid-oriented, but at the same time I'm still trying to keep the bass tight and fizzy highs to a minimum. As OD I'm using either Maxon OD-9 or Boss SD-1 as clean boost - drive 0, vol dimmed, tone between 12-1 o'clock on both. The SD-1 is very "nasal" especially with the JB and Custom8, I like the OD-9 so much more overall. But the Boss does the chug chug thing very well. I'd like to plug my DSL into a Mesa 2x12 cab and see how much the tone changes. Or at least some well built cab with Celestion Greenbacks.

L.E. Oh and I think you'll need a noise gate, I know I do.
      Last edited by AdrianSD; 03-21-2021, 10:22 PM.

Comment

This post has gotten a little off topic. I am not wanting to get a new amp because I need it for the type of music, what I have is doing well. The big thing is I just want another amp and the sound I like is based around a 5150.

I want to know what type I should go for. I know there are other amps that have a similar sound to 5150’s and I’m leaning most towards a 6505+ and the 6534+. Of course I would like a block letter 5150, but cost wise versus the others it does not make a lot of sense for me.
        The speakers I’m playing through are V30.

Is there any reason that a 6505 versus a 6534 would be better than the other?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Calsip View Post
          This post has gotten a little off topic. I am not wanting to get a new amp because I need it for the type of music, what I have is doing well. The big thing is I just want another amp and the sound I like is based around a 5150.

I want to know what type I should go for. I know there are other amps that have a similar sound to 5150’s and I’m leaning most towards a 6505+ and the 6534+. Of course I would like a block letter 5150, but cost wise versus the others it does not make a lot of sense for me.
          The speakers I’m playing through are V30.

Is there any reason that a 6505 versus a 6534 would be better than the other?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          If you want your 5150 to do what you are asking, to tighten it up, this is usually achived with a Tube Screamer or Boss SD-1. (symmetrical and assymetrical clipping, respectively.) The tone control lets you dial in how much "cut" you want.

If you want a good modern metal amp in that price range, a Laney Ironheart is a great choice. It doesn't have the midrange honk that Peavey amps are known for. It is more open sounding.

I use a Laney Ironheart with an SD-1. The extra distortion stage from the SD-1 makes it sound like a 5150.

Last edited by Top-L; 03-22-2021, 11:09 AM.

Comment

So a lot of people are recommending that I use a TS or the Boss SD. I didn’t know if I could use an OCD to boost it a little more?

Comment

So a lot of people are recommending that I use a TS or the Boss SD. I didn’t know if I could use an OCD to boost it a little more?
              The Tube Screamer and Boss SD-1 are the same circuit, except the SD1 is assymetric clipping and has a bit more aggressive sound. Its also a good bit cheaper.

I believe it is fair to say that all modern boost pedals are derivatives of these.

The SD-1 tightens it up and makes it cut, you need to try to see if you like the sound.

With a 5150 amp that already has extra gain stages, two boost pedals would be too much. I think the OCD is a TS variant. You probably will keep the drive at zero and use the tone knob to dial in some cut.

Comment

The OCD may work or it may not. Depends on what you like really. There are a lot of pedals that could work wonderfully for you. I will list some in no particular order, all are great!

Klirrton - Oh My Goat!
                Pepers Pedals - Dirty Tree
                ProTone Pedals - Attack Overdrive, Gary Holt Boost
                Horizon Devices - Precision Drive
                Fortin - Grind, Hex Drive
                Airis Effects - Savage Drive
                KSR - Eros
                Mesa Boogie - Grid Slammer
                Friedman - Buxom Boost
                The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.

Comment

Oh yeah. A tubescreamer in front of your distorted amp can work absolute miracles in tightening up your sound. Tubescreamer + EQ pedal (I always preach the MXR 10 band EQ pedal) in front of your amp would give you tons of ability to tighten and chuggify your sound. This is a simple issue you're dealing with - don't overthink it with tube swaps, boutique pedals, new speakers, etc. Continue getting your distortion as you are now and use that pedal setup to give you that little extra something.
                  Originally posted by crusty philtrum
                  Anyone who *sings* at me through their teeth deserves to have a bus drive through their face
                  http://www.youtube.com/alexiansounds

Comment

Originally posted by Top-L View Post

If you want your 5150 to do what you are asking, to tighten it up, this is usually achived with a Tube Screamer or Boss SD-1. (symmetrical and assymetrical clipping, respectively.) The tone control lets you dial in how much "cut" you want.

If you want a good modern metal amp in that price range, a Laney Ironheart is a great choice. It doesn't have the midrange honk that Peavey amps are known for. It is more open sounding.

I use a Laney Ironheart with an SD-1. The extra distortion stage from the SD-1 makes it sound like a 5150.

What's your settings for the Ironheart/ SD-1 to make it sound like 5150?

Comment

Originally posted by Obsessive Compulsive View Post

What's your settings for the Ironheart/ SD-1 to make it sound like 5150?
                      Generally to put the Ironheart into Marshall mode, pull the mid and treble pots.

The extra gain from the SD-1 puts it over the top.

It doesnt sound "just like" a 5150, but close enough.

Comment

I had a block letter 5150 and a 6505+. Loved them both for metalcore. There's really not a "5150" family amp that's bad for what the OP wants.

Comment

Can't see the DSL not working either.

Try a cheap screamer in the front first.

Show us some knobs or a sound clip. What guitar/pickups?
                          Originally posted by Bad City
                          He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Originally posted by Top-L View Post

The Tube Screamer and Boss SD-1 are the same circuit, except the SD1 is assymetric clipping and has a bit more aggressive sound. Its also a good bit cheaper.

I believe it is fair to say that all modern boost pedals are derivatives of these.
                            I have heard rumors of this but never knew for sure. Do you believe this to be true also???
                            Originally posted by Bad City
                            He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman View Post

I have heard rumors of this but never knew for sure. Do you believe this to be true also???
                              Google probably knows more about this than I do. Just relaying what I have always heard.

Comment

Wampler on SD-1 and Tube Screamer.

Comment

Working...
                                X