No announcement yet.

What is your next amp going to be?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm flirting with the idea of turning my single rectifier series2 into a kt88-powered amp.
    From what I've read you can use this amp with a properly selected matched-pair of kt88 tubes in the amp's el34 setting.
    Eurotubes can supposedly select a correct-drawing pair, although with the current supply situation I'm not sure if this still does apply.

I really dig the angry bark it gets at lessor volumes with the mesa 447 (EH EL34), but when I push the volume up it gets a little softer on the edges than I prefer.
    Running through my k100 212 avatar does help it stay stiffer feeling at higher gain, but through the Mesa cabs it doesn't hold as firm as I'd like.

I'm honestly not sure how it would end-up sounding using a pair of kt88, but on paper it would be a step towards a more authoritative response overall.
    Anyone used a recto with 6550/kt88?

Comment

• I am working on shrinking my JSX down to a smaller format. I doubt I will get 3 channels in a lunchbox format, but I will at least split the difference.
      I miss the 80's (girls) !!!

Seymour Duncans currently in use - In Les Pauls: Custom(b)/Jazz(n), Distortion(b)/Jazz(n), '59(b)/'59(n) w/A4 mag, P-Rails(b)/P-Rails(n); In a Bullet S-3: P-Rails(b)/stock/Vintage Stack Tele(n); In a Dot: Seth Lover(b)/Seth Lover(n); In a Del Mar: Mag Mic; In a Lead II: Custom Shop Fender X-1(b)

Comment

• Originally posted by dave74 View Post
        I'm flirting with the idea of turning my single rectifier series2 into a kt88-powered amp.
        From what I've read you can use this amp with a properly selected matched-pair of kt88 tubes in the amp's el34 setting.
        Eurotubes can supposedly select a correct-drawing pair, although with the current supply situation I'm not sure if this still does apply.

I really dig the angry bark it gets at lessor volumes with the mesa 447 (EH EL34), but when I push the volume up it gets a little softer on the edges than I prefer.
        Running through my k100 212 avatar does help it stay stiffer feeling at higher gain, but through the Mesa cabs it doesn't hold as firm as I'd like.

I'm honestly not sure how it would end-up sounding using a pair of kt88, but on paper it would be a step towards a more authoritative response overall.
        Anyone used a recto with 6550/kt88?
        Huge fan of big bottle tubes but never tried them on a Recto. I love the thought of it but not sure it will work. I al so don't know that it wouldn't.
        The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bogner View Post

Sure it counts. Do it!

Done!!

Click image for larger version

Name:	kemp.jpg
Views:	235
Size:	99.3 KB
ID:	6134631

Comment

• NICE!!!! ^^^^^
            The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.

Comment

• Originally posted by JOLLY View Post

Done!!

Now You've got some learning to do ha! Those things are a lot of fun. Congrats John!
              https://open.spotify.com/artist/7e2g...TLy6SQH5nk44wA

Comment

• Originally posted by Bogner View Post

Huge fan of big bottle tubes but never tried them on a Recto. I love the thought of it but not sure it will work. I al so don't know that it wouldn't.
                I think there used to be a more in-depth article about it on Eurotubes telling the correct current draw of the tubes and it told what they would run at in the EL34 mode, but all I find now is just saying to tell them it's for the series2 single and they will pick the right pair. Now that I have a VHT bias tester I'll know if it's running safe or not.

Last edited by dave74; 12-11-2021, 02:55 AM.

Comment

• Affordable

Comment

Done!!

This is pretty much the future of guitar amplification isn't it?

Comment

• ehhh not for me. i have enough tube amps, vintage and not, to last me a lifetime and get all the tones i need. the kemper is great though, enjoy bro

Comment

• Originally posted by jeremy View Post
                        ehhh not for me. i have enough tube amps, vintage and not, to last me a lifetime and get all the tones i need. the kemper is great though, enjoy bro
                        Who said anything about getting rid of tube amps, vintage and not? Keep them and get a Kemper!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by Little Pigbacon

Maybe if they could make it look somewhat less dorky. Lets not mince words here; that is one nerdball-looking piece of gear.
                          Buy the rack version then.

Or the Floorboard version.

Comment

Done!!

Damn, you had to go on Dialysis?

God Speed on your recovery sir
                            “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

Done!!

Now you just need to find the knob for "sound good". Godspeed . . .
                              Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
                              This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

• Originally posted by GuitarStv View Post

Now you just need to find the knob for "sound good". Godspeed . . .
                                If you get a good capture of the amp (many times people don't) you actually have more parameters to tweak than you would on the amp itself. If you have a bad capture, it is virtually impossible to polish a turd. Don't be fooled, the Kemper can sound out of this world great. It can also sound bad if you have a bad capture and dial poorly. No different than a nice amp sounding bad because it is not dialed in correctly.

Comment

Working...
                                X