banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Would you rather have a Mark V or three $1000 guitars.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Rex_Rocker View Post
    Yeah, I'm sure you can do it. But I don't think it's ideal. Never on a Mesa amp, but I've mistakinly plugged my Marshall cab into several of of the amps' I've had 8 ohm output, and it always takes me a while to figure out why it's sounding a little off/weird/bad, LOL.

But then again, transformers don't have to be as beefy if they're designed to run at 8 ohms max. Maybe they do it as part of the whole Fender heritage of the Mark series. Maybe they do it because they do have to fit a lot inside those smaller headshells. Or maybe they just do it to save some money in iron. Or maybe all of the above.

Honestly, I've seen lots of people complain about how small the transformers are in Mesa amps if you compare them to other amp makers. Even Marshall amps have pretty beefy trannies comparatively. Then again, I don't think I've seen anyone complain about lack of balls or volume in a Dual Rectifier either. But I've also read neither Duals nor Triples put out as much wattage as they claim they do.
    In the manuals for the Stiletto Ace and the 5:50 Express both say that they encourage experimentating with mismatching 16 ohms into 8 ohms plug or 8 ohm into 4 ohm. So even if the transformers aren't as big as some other amps they are sufficient to do the job including handling reasonable mismatched loads.
    "It is easier to fool people than to convince them they have been fooled" - Mark Twain

Comment

Yeah, the manual for my Blue Angel say to experiment with impedance mismatches, too.
      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Amp and cabs are just a bigger part of the instrument ….. Some brands are more than they are worth when it comes to amps, but in the end of the day if whatever the brand delivers FOR YOU - that’s what matters. Guitar is your brush - with pickups being the fuffy tip, amp is your choice of water-color/oil/acrylic/pencil and canvas threading, pedals and speakers are your pallet. Availability of speakers, amps, pedals will give you way more of an overall “pallet” than 4-6 guitars.
        Active Duty Rig:
        MIA Lone Star Strat (HS-Fullshred/Tex-Special neck)
        Warmoth Roads V/Kramer Neck (HS - Custom/Tex-Special neck)

BadHoarsie Original ->

Laney AOR 50 ProTube ( 6 knobber ) / Laney GH50L | efxloop Rocktron Hush Super C/BBE 422A Sonic Maximizer | Weber lite Mass Attenuator ->

JCM900_1960A 4 x 12

Comment

Originally posted by Top-L View Post
          Ive never owned a high end amp and the Boogie sounds amazing. I was planning to use it as reward for accomplishing some personal goals by the end of year, but a new guitar every four months would be more satisfying. I love getting new guitars.

Three guitars, or the boogie?

(or neither)
          I think it is important to follow through with your self-reward schemes. Otherwise that motivational trick would not work again.

It's gear, so as jeremy said, just watch the resell value. There's no way to predict how you are actually getting along with thingie.

Comment

Originally posted by uOpt View Post

I think it is important to follow through with your self-reward schemes. Otherwise that motivational trick would not work again.

It's gear, so as jeremy said, just watch the resell value. There's no way to predict how you are actually getting along with thingie.
            Youre probably right. I ordered an Engl Savage, because coupon, and it will probably be June or later before it gets here. Could buy one now from SW, but that feels too immediate gratification.

I will just have to achieve my goals faster.

Comment

Originally posted by JMP/HBE View Post

Mesa-ly not Marshall.
              If you want a Marshall-y Mesa you need this, which can also out JMP a JMP....

(Approximately $71 per knob - but you get Uber Marshall and Mesa out of it!)

Originally posted by Bad City
              He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

I love vintage amps, so I would rather have a well made 5E3 tweed clone and a PRS S2.
                Last edited by Rabelais; 03-11-2023, 04:08 PM.

Comment

Is that a real piece of alligator hide on the faceplate? gnarly.

​​​​

Comment

Ive never owned a high end amp and the Boogie sounds amazing. I was planning to use it as reward for accomplishing some personal goals by the end of year, but a new guitar every four months would be more satisfying. I love getting new guitars.

(or neither)
                    Boogie Mark Five!!!
                    Charvel Model-5fx EMG 85/SA
                    Epiphone Les Paul Custom Korean SD JB/Jazz
                    Custom Made Ernie Ball Musicman Copy Dimarzio Super Distortion's
                    2019 EVH 5150 III 50 Watt Head 6L6
                    1995 Mesa Boogie Tremoverb converted to Head
                    Mesa Tremoverb 2x12 cab (factory Vintage 30's) converted to closed back
                    Marshall 1960A 4x12 (2 Celestion G12T-75's and 2 WGS Retro 30's X patterned
                    Pedaltrain Mini: Currently on pedalboard: ModTone MT-CB Clean Boost, Zoom MS-70CDR, Korg Pitchblack Tuner)

Comment

(or neither)
                      I actually sold the vast majority of my guitars over the last couple years and actually prefer only having a handful of stellar guitars. More guitars doesn't make me play more, or sound better. If you're gigging, then get the amp. If you're not, then get the absolute best guitar in your budget. The one guitar that feels so good you never want to put it down or play another one. The only time quantity overrules quality is if you need a backup as well for gigging.

Comment

Fluff's demo also sounds pretty bad. No edge or oomph at all. Like all mids and no agression. But it looks like he did use a 1x12 there, so...
                        Did he do his usual high pass, low pass and boost? That tends to make everything sound like a wall of mids. His Mesa Badlander video is easily one of the worst I've ever seen. I have a hard time taking him seriously, but I've only seen a couple of his videos.

Comment

Originally posted by chadd View Post
                          Did he do his usual high pass, low pass and boost? That tends to make everything sound like a wall of mids. His Mesa Badlander video is easily one of the worst I've ever seen. I have a hard time taking him seriously, but I've only seen a couple of his videos.
                          No idea. But the hi/lopass stuff is pretty common. I don't know what particular frequencies he does it at, TBH. But I've seen sompe people do the hipass thing at up to 150-200 Hz. That IMO just neuters all the balls of the tone and moves the emphasis of the low-end to the muddy/stuffy region.

I'm not saying that's what he did, but TBH, I've never liked his tones. They always sound so clanky, stuffy in the mids, and with no balls to the low-end. I get it, it's a full mix. You don't need thunderous lows on guitars. But there's a point where you can have them and still be tasteful. Ola gets away with a much chunkier tone. I'm not 100% in love with the tones Ola gets all the time, but at least they're heavy. Fluff's are not. But then again, Ola's stuff always sounds heavier than Fluff's.
                          Last edited by Rex_Rocker; 03-21-2023, 08:57 AM.

Comment

No idea. But the hi/lopass stuff is pretty common. I don't know what particular frequencies he does it at, TBH. But I've seen sompe people do the hipass thing at up to 150-200 Hz. That IMO just neuters all the balls of the tone and moves the emphasis of the low-end to the muddy/stuffy region.
                            I think you meant to say it leaves space for the bass guitar...

Seriously though.... about the Mark series. Are there any identifyable Mark tones besides Metallica and Petrucci? Any bands I would know with a signature tone that is the Mark?

My impression is that the Mark V/VII has an amazing MOP metal distortion (for standardish tuning), it has amazing lead guitar tone, and it can cover every genre. The only thing it can't do sound like a Marshall.

The Dual Recto and the many flavors of Marshall represent the vast majority of popular guitar music. The Mark is like a hyper-thick lead guitar amp that has a bit of the cocked wah sound at all times.

Comment

I think you meant to say it leaves space for the bass guitar...
                              Depends on the kind of production you're going for. I go for Colin Richardson/Andy Sneap/Fredrik Nordstrom kind of tones, personally. All of those are somewhat generous in the guitar's sub-lows. At least if you compare them to Fluff's stuff. The trick is not to overdo it and go all And Justice either.

Remember a Low E's fundamental is roughly 80Hz. A C (that I tune to) is around 60. I hipass at 60. I believe Andy Sneap and Colin Richardson do it at that frequency most of the time too. I don't want to cut all the balls off the palm-mutes or make my 4x12 sound like a smaller cab. I personally feel there's a lot more of a problem zone just higher up around 200-500 Hz where the low-end is just muddy, thuddy, and stuffy. At least for the aesthetics of the tone I go for. Exactly why I prefer a Recto to a 5150 most of the time.

Bass and Kick can live just below. There's still room below. Especially if you consider my guitar's lowest note is at 60Hz, then that means the Bass' is at 30. Which is ridiculously low, but oh, well. It's a tight fit, but it's worked for me. And if you really need to, you can resort to multiband compression on guitars or side-chain compression on the kick and bass. MBC is a must in bass anyway. Very common on guitars too.

Seriously, the low-end usually needs a lot of tayloring in a modern-ish metal mix. You can take the easy way out and dump all the lows from the guitars, but I personally don't like how that ends up sounding.

It's all relative too. You can of course afford a lot more low-end in a mid tempo song rather than blast beats/heavy palm-mutes at 220 bpm. And it depends of the aesthetic you're going for as well. Because Fluff certainly doens't agree with me, but neither his tones or his music sound heavy to me.

Then again, don't misunderstand me. I'm the kind of dude that is afraid to push a Recto's bass knob past 12 o'clock ever. Even with EMG's and a boost.

And that's speaking from my perspective. I go for a certain tone you or Fluff might not.

Seriously though.... about the Mark series. Are there any identifyable Mark tones besides Metallica and Petrucci? Any bands I would know with a signature tone that is the Mark?
                              Lamb of God. If you consider that tone good. I personally don't. Exactly another example of dumping all low-end on guitars.

Santana?

A few hair metalers used them as well. Motley Crue, I think? Guns n Roses?

Kurt Cobain?

Not a fan of all of those tones, but I believe there was some Mark involved.
                              Last edited by Rex_Rocker; 03-22-2023, 02:32 PM.

Comment

I have a Mark V Combo- bought it used years ago for $2,000- greatest investment I've ever made, aside from a Kemper. The Mark IIc+ setting kills

Comment

Working...
                                X