banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Could all famous amp models become Tonemasters?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I just ordered a UA Dream '65 pedal, which sounds pretty amazing. I'm all for this sort of thing.
    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
      I just ordered a UA Dream '65 pedal, which sounds pretty amazing. I'm all for this sort of thing.
      What are you looking to get out of it that you are not getting with your Deluxe?

Comment

Guitar players are a superstitious bunch at best, and outrightly deluded and illogical at their worst.

How many recordings have you heard where the band was using a POD, or a Kemper, or whatever in between already, and you didn't know it?
        How many show have you been to where the band was using a POD, or a Kemper, or whatever er in between already, and you didn't know it?

I guarantee it is more than you know.

At the end of the day - music companies drive much of the hype and superstition. They want you to buy "that" gear. That "expensive" high margin gear.

You don't see them doing the scientific studies because the result would be "Oh - they sound the same, I'll get the cheaper one" or "In this blind listening test, I actually preferred digital" because it hurts revenue. What is possible to tell the difference in, is very different from what you do tell the difference.

I did a very simple test here to show that people couldn't tell a PG from an A2P from a T-Top. results turned in were basically chance.

If you believe differently, you are a fool. And that's ok. Because music is fun!
        Originally posted by Bad City
        He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman View Post
          Guitar players are a superstitious bunch at best, and outrightly deluded and illogical at their worst.
          I always play stage right. When I switched bands back in the 80's I switched to stage left to give the band a different look. It lasted one show. If I am not stage right, I feel unsettled.

Comment

Originally posted by Securb View Post

What are you looking to get out of it that you are not getting with your Deluxe?
            Backup to keep in the gigbag.
            Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

How many recordings have you heard where the band was using a POD, or a Kemper, or whatever in between already, and you didn't know it?
              How many show have you been to where the band was using a POD, or a Kemper, or whatever er in between already, and you didn't know it?

I've picked up a little work at the amphitheater here in town and see a lot of the rigs up close. I'd say well over 50% of the acts are using Kemper/HX/Axe/etc... live.

Comment

At the end of the day - music companies drive much of the hype and superstition. They want you to buy "that" gear. That "expensive" high margin gear.

You don't see them doing the scientific studies because the result would be "Oh - they sound the same, I'll get the cheaper one" or "In this blind listening test, I actually preferred digital" because it hurts revenue. What is possible to tell the difference in, is very different from what you do tell the difference.

I did a very simple test here to show that people couldn't tell a PG from an A2P from a T-Top. results turned in were basically chance.

If you believe differently, you are a fool. And that's ok. Because music is fun!
                All I will add is In the case of low wattage combos, off stage , I don't see the need for them to be tube based. Not with today's SS technology. The point of a 10 watt amp is that it should not hurt your ears or rattle the walls. The way tube circuits produce their sound means even at 8 or 10 watts, you might not turn the vol much above a quarter and they are just not meant to be played that way, but some people convince themselves they 'need' for their amp to be tube for good tone ..

Comment

I’ve been straight up complimented on my tone using nothing but my RP-1000 as a fly rig direct to the board with no extra outboard. It did sound pretty sweet. My only complaint was that it felt a bit “stiff” from behind the guitar but I’ve come to find the Mark IV model is spot on, has the fluidity missing from some of the other models. That model into a real cab or IR unit like the radar, you’d never know it wasn’t a real tube amp. I’ve been using it in the studio lately with nothing more than a 2x12Ax7 circuit between the unit and a class D power amp and it holds up against my 100 watt tube heads.

This is a unit that came out in the 2010s (besides, the amp loop means I can integrate it into a real tube amp or run it with whatever hot new pedal format preamp comes out if it blows me away) and the audience really doesn’t care so long as they cam hear you and it doesn’t sound unpleasant. It’s worth it for that model alone and the fx which are absolutely fantastic. Running studio tracks through the 16 voice multi-chorus tastefully has to be heard to be believed.

We brought our own sound guy who knows how we’re meant to sound which helps but I think it goes to show that the “digital doesn’t cut through” argument is more user error. I’ve seen bands with full tube halfstacks get buried because they don’t know how to dial it in for the stage. The most common issue is overestimating how much low end they need.
                  Last edited by El Dunco; 04-04-2024, 04:05 AM.
                  The opinions expressed above do not necessarily represent those of the poster and are to be considered suspect at best.

Lead guitarist and vocalist of...

Keep up to date on our Facebook

Comment

As always, good sound is good sound.

The technology behind it doesn't matter, the brand doesn't matter, the age doesn't matter, who else used it doesn't matter, the color doesn't matter.

When people get over all of that, they will start sounding better.

Originally posted by Bad City
                    He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

As always, good sound is good sound.

The technology behind it doesn't matter, the brand doesn't matter, the age doesn't matter, who else used it doesn't matter, the color doesn't matter.

When people get over all of that, they will start sounding better.
                      Straight facts. What, how and why you play matters the most.
                      The opinions expressed above do not necessarily represent those of the poster and are to be considered suspect at best.

Comment

what and how, for sure. why? dunno. intention is important but if you have great chops, good ears (and use em), know and play your role on stage, and are just in it for the money/adoration/whatever i dont know if the audience will notice as long as you do all the things you should.

as far as gear... regardless of what it is, for me at least, its about me getting what i want so i can make music with as little distraction as possible. if your instrument plays, sounds, and feels great, i believe you will give a better performance than if something isnt quite right. however you get to that point doesnt really matter. guitarists do tend to be hesitant to new things for a variety of reasons, but its all about finding what works for you. listen to what people say and the advice they give, but at the end of the day ya gotta find what suits you best

Comment

I think a Fender Tonemaster Deluxe Reverb is a very good idea for small clubs gigging musicians, for at home low-volume and for recording out of a single unit.
                          I would definitely like a similar concept (different amp style) but with a closed back cab. Or an higher quality Katana with only reverb, and closed back cab.

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
                            what and how, for sure. why? dunno. intention is important but if you have great chops, good ears (and use em), know and play your role on stage, and are just in it for the money/adoration/whatever i dont know if the audience will notice as long as you do all the things you should.

as far as gear... regardless of what it is, for me at least, its about me getting what i want so i can make music with as little distraction as possible. if your instrument plays, sounds, and feels great, i believe you will give a better performance than if something isnt quite right. however you get to that point doesnt really matter. guitarists do tend to be hesitant to new things for a variety of reasons, but its all about finding what works for you. listen to what people say and the advice they give, but at the end of the day ya gotta find what suits you best
                            Monetary gain IS a ”why.” Making the kind of music the most amount of people will pay for is absolutely an important “why.” All those things are whys. Attention is a why, it’s a third oc the reason I do it. So yes. Why indeed.

Comment

My H&K Tubemeister is 20 watt tube amp
                              it will attenuate down to 5 and 1 watt

5 watt is way way too loud for the house
                              1 watt is almost too loud , certainly too loud for after 9 pm

I love a good modeling amp

Some of the presets are so processed it's hard to get the individual sound I want

The sounds are good but kinda generic

If I was 12 years old
                              And wanted to learn guitar
                              I would love that

But that gets you nowhere near able to set up and amp

It's no wonder people cant set up their amps
                              EHD
                              Just here surfing Guitar Pron
                              RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
                              SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
                              Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
                              Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
                              Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
                              Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
                              GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Originally posted by ehdwuld View Post
                                It's no wonder people cant set up their amps
                                It really is a shame. I was reading a thread on another site where a guy was complaining about an amp that I know sounds amazing but sounds flat and thin to him. He said the amp was a piece of crap. It dawned on me today that 99% of the negative posts on the web about gear are from people who do not know how to dial it in. These days, it is possible to get a great tone with even the most budget gear. But yes, a JCM 900 is a piece of crap.

Comment

Working...
                                X