Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I think I found my cab...

So this just popped up on CL:

I have not heard of this 16ohm, mono 100watt thing.
    However, I do love my Mesa on 50 Watts. And on my Pod Go, I do love the 25 watt Greenbacks for pretty much every amp head setting.

So talk to me - I know my Mesa puts either 4 or 8 ohms out, so no worries pushing 16.

But what can you tell me about this thing?
    - Slant front
    - 4x12
    - 25 watt green backs
    - Could handle 100 watts mono?
    - Wheels!
    - Decent shape
    - $600
    - Marshall

Is it me?
    Originally posted by Bad City
    He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

I am no Marshall guru, but don't they typically put the mono input on the less expensive cabs? And I am assuming the Greenbacks are after-market, correct?

Comment

Originally posted by Securb View Post
      I am no Marshall guru, but don't they typically put the mono input on the less expensive cabs? And I am assuming the Greenbacks are after-market, correct?
      Me neither, this asking. It does say "1960" on the badge.

Comment

They did use the mono jack on the 1960C's, which came stock with Greenbacks.

And the badge says it's a 1960 Classic. So it's legit.

Those are less well-known cabs because they soon replaced them with the 1960X's. But they're just 1960X's with the standard 1960 looks.

Love Greenbacks in a Marshall cab. I changed the speakers in mine like 5 times, LOL. I finally settled in a pair of British Greenbacks mixed with a pair of Chinese Greenbacks, LOL.
        Attached Files
        Last edited by Rex_Rocker; 03-22-2023, 10:24 PM.

Comment

I’d verify the greenbacks and offer $550

Comment

Originally posted by Rex_Rocker View Post
            They did use the mono jack on the 1960C's, which came stock with Greenbacks.

And the badge says it's a 1960 Classic. So it's legit.

Those are less well-known cabs because they soon replaced them with the 1960X's. But they're just 1960X's with the standard 1960 looks.

Love Greenbacks in a Marshall cab. I changed the speakers in mine like 5 times, LOL. I finally settled in a pair of British Greenbacks mixed with a pair of Chinese Greenbacks, LOL.
            I had one of those, my favorite cab of all time. Only sold it because I was moving to a tiny apartment on a small island.

Comment

Originally posted by chadd View Post

I had one of those, my favorite cab of all time. Only sold it because I was moving to a tiny apartment on a small island.
              I need to move to a tiny house on a small island...

Comment

Watts is right ohms is not. . Look elsewhere. ohms would work w/a 8 ohm mismatch but would sound funky.
                New cabs can be had for $600
                FWIW Mesa amps work best with Mesa cabs.

Comment

Originally posted by JMP/HBE View Post
                  Watts is right ohms is not. .
                  Look elsewhere. ohms would work w/a 8 ohm mismatch but would sound funky.
                  New cabs can be had for $600
                  FWIW Mesa amps work best with Mesa cabs.

Clarify what "right" means please

Explain the nature of Funky. Pretty sure you don't mean Bootsy collins...Funky how?

From where? https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...ith-greenbacks

FWIW - the only "works" I care about is how it sounds. I dig the Green backs. I have used - mind you - only models, but Marshall (multiple), Mesa, Peavey, and Soldano. I like the 4x12 Greenback 25 no matter what. I can and will take my Mesa to test it - and my Mesa is a Marshal "killer" Mesa, so not a triple recto or anything like that.

Please elaborate.

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman View Post

I was thinking the same thing. Any cab with the proper ohm rating and wattage handling will work. Dare I say there are probably cabs out there that would sound better (depending on your preferences) that do not have a MESA tag on them.

Comment

I didn't see anywhere in the ad where it mentioned the ohms. But even my Marshalls don't say the same ohms between the head and the cab. The head has 4-8-16 and the cabs all say 4(16) ohms.

I'm not getting the 100W Mono advertising hype, like it's some rare bird. A 4x12 greenback cab is 100W mono, so what? It's just a standard cab.

Seems like a decent deal on a Marshall greenback cab.

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman View Post

Explain the nature of Funky. Pretty sure you don't mean Bootsy collins...Funky how?

From where? https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...ith-greenbacks

FWIW - the only "works" I care about is how it sounds. I dig the Green backs. I have used - mind you - only models, but Marshall (multiple), Mesa, Peavey, and Soldano. I like the 4x12 Greenback 25 no matter what. I can and will take my Mesa to test it - and my Mesa is a Marshal "killer" Mesa, so not a triple recto or anything like that.

Please elaborate.
                        God you are a problem child eh ? Must i hold your hand everytime i make a post ? Have fun with your dilemma.

Comment

Originally posted by JMP/HBE View Post
                          God you are a problem child eh ? Must i hold your hand everytime i make a post ? Have fun with your dilemma.
                          Thanks for being unhelpful.

I'm sorry you can't communicate better.

Comment

If you're looking for a solidly built cab that's Marshall-y, comes with Greenback-y speakers, and is not too expensive, also have a look at the EVH cabs. Those are good, and the EVH speakers are fantastic.

More attainable in this side of the pond than Marshall, and slightly better built, IMO.
                            Last edited by Rex_Rocker; 03-23-2023, 12:24 PM.

Comment

If they are 16ohm greens wired series/parallel mono then you are in business. Stiletto Duece has the 16ohm out so it would match perfect.
                              Tonewise I still say you need to find a mesa stilerro/traditional,,,,,,but I can see wanting that big Marshall cab/logo for an 80's party-metal band.

Comment

Working...
                              X