I think I found my cab...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dave74 View Post
    If they are 16ohm greens wired series/parallel mono then you are in business. Stiletto Duece has the 16ohm out so it would match perfect.
    Tonewise I still say you need to find a mesa stilerro/traditional,,,,,,but I can see wanting that big Marshall cab/logo for an 80's party-metal band.
    Or just because I like the sound. Either way.
    Originally posted by Bad City
    He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

I prefer the tone of 16 ohm cabs and speakers, personally.

The speakers are brighter, and it uses more windings on the amp's transformers, so I always felt like it squeezes just a touch more out of the amp.

JMO.

Comment

Originally posted by Rex_Rocker View Post
        I prefer the tone of 16 ohm cabs and speakers, personally.

The speakers are brighter, and it uses more windings on the amp's transformers, so I always felt like it squeezes just a touch more out of the amp.

JMO.
        I don't know what the impact is. I do know the amp needs to see more resistance on the end than is coming out. So, no blowing things up!

But what happens sonically when you go 4>8, or 8>16, or even 4>16...no idea.

Comment

Oh, no idea either. I know Mesa encourages to try impedance mismatches, but I wouldn't be comfortable with that.

I've never had any of my amps blow up by accidentally mismatching the impedance, but I also felt the amps didn't sound as good they could when actually matching the impedance.

Then again, none of my amps have been Mesa.

Comment

As long as the mismatch has the cab at higher ohms than the amp's output it just results in the amp running cooler.
            Cooler means darker with more sag, so no harm at all but most will prefer the punch of a correct match,

The amp's output impedance and the cab's total impedance has much less impact on tone then the impedance of the individual speakers being used.

Two 8ohm v30 in series will be 16ohm total, but they will still have the 8ohm v30 tone.
            Two 16ohm v30 in parallel will be an 8ohm total, but will still have the 16ohm v30 tone.
            Last edited by dave74; 03-24-2023, 12:54 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by dave74 View Post
              As long as the mismatch has the cab at higher ohms than the amp's output it just results in the amp running cooler.
              Cooler means darker with more sag, so no harm at all but most will prefer the punch of a correct match,

The amp's output impedance and the cab's total impedance has much less impact on tone then the impedance of the individual speakers being used.

Two 8ohm v30 in series will be 16ohm total, but they will still have the 8ohm v30 tone.
              Two 16ohm v30 in parallel will be an 8ohm total, but will still have the 16ohm v30 tone.
              Interesting. Never knew that.

Is it a big effect, or only something you notice when running high volume/on "10"

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman View Post

Interesting. Never knew that.

Is it a big effect, or only something you notice when running high volume/on "10"
                It's one of those things you'd probably never notice unless you do back-to-back A/B comparisons.
                16ohm speakers are brighter and slightly more open if compared directly to their 8ohm counterparts.
                IMO it's good that most 212 cabs are loaded with 16ohm speakers for that reason, since the size of many 212s can make the tone a bit stuffy compared to a good 412.

Comment

Those are great cabs. Nearly identical to the ax cabs.
                  All the 1960 models are built (wood, design and specs) the same. Afaik

I've never been a greenbacks fan, but a lot of people really like them. They don't chug very well. I think your 50w head into that cab will sound great!

Welcome to the Marshall brotherhood, all other cabs will somehow now seem interior! Ha !
                  https://open.spotify.com/artist/7e2g...TLy6SQH5nk44wA

Comment

Originally posted by 80's_Thrash_Metal View Post

I've never been a greenbacks fan, but a lot of people really like them. They don't chug very well. I think your 50w head into that cab will sound great!

Welcome to the Marshall brotherhood, all other cabs will somehow now seem interior! Ha !
                    - Thanks for the note

- I don't chug very well either, so that is fine LOL

- I can do 50 or 100. Either way.

- Welcome? Little late, but thanks!

Comment

Those little cabs don't count... Kind of like riding a scooter around the streets... it might look like a bike, but the bikers won't acknowledge you.

Plug into that 4x12 and it will all become clear ha ha ha ha.
                      Just half way ribbing you bud.

I sure do love that Jenna....

Comment

Those little cabs don't count... Kind of like riding a scooter around the streets.
                        Fun to ride but you don't want your friends to see you on one.

Comment

Oh, they do!

Straight up Greenbacks from a Marshall cab.

G12-EVH's. Stated by Celestion to be rebranded Heritage Greenbacks.
                          Last edited by Rex_Rocker; 03-24-2023, 08:51 AM.

Comment

I disagree. They have great tonal characteristics. And that's why people like them. They are underpowered, they sing with a great voice.

But they are well known for being saggy, they get fat and flubby under tight chugs. There are a hundred speakers that do better at being tight and Uber responsive.
                            Last edited by 80's_Thrash_Metal; 03-24-2023, 10:12 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman View Post
                              ugh clean the velcro, is that a dead bug on the floor, and what is that zoom disaster? points for the cool wah, though it could use a little wipe down. cable management isnt awful but could be a bit better and is there a reason youre using 50' cables in your living room?

Comment

Reason you can mismatch impedance with some Mesa amps is cuz their transformers are spec'd for it.
                                Most amps cannot tolerate impedance mismatches especially Marshalls.
                                For best results always match impedance.
                                There's a price to pay for breaking Ohms Law.

Comment

Working...
                                X