No announcement yet.

Marshall Mode Four

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ah, thanks, then! Yep, definitely boosted. And using an EMG 81, more than likely.

Comment

If you have time and patients, anyone can have a great sound with any amp .

Comment

Originally posted by maug2122 View Post
        Doctors can afford the most expensive amps after all
        The opinions expressed above do not necessarily represent those of the poster and are to be considered suspect at best.

Lead guitarist and vocalist of...

Keep up to date on our Facebook

Comment

Originally posted by maug2122 View Post
          Not really.

I don't think I could get a great Metal sound from a Jazz Chorus if I tried. At least not without pedals.

But now that I think about it, I don't think the Mode Four sounds good without a boost either. So there's that.

Comment

I like many solid-states as long as I have some pedals in front.

Comment

Honestly, not just with solid states, I just boost 99% of what I play.

It's only the EVH stuff or maybe some ENGL stuff that I like better unboosted.

Even if I love the EVH red channel, there's something really fun and satisfying about matching the right boost to the right amp.

Personally, what I just can't live with amps for Metal tones is open back cabs. I mean, it's OK for home practice if you put your little combo right against the wall. But for recording they just don't cut, IMO. Nor when playing with other people who are playing closed back cabs.
              Last edited by Rex_Rocker; 10-27-2023, 11:56 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Rex_Rocker View Post
                Not really.

I don't think I could get a great Metal sound from a Jazz Chorus if I tried. At least not without pedals.

But now that I think about it, I don't think the Mode Four sounds good without a boost either. So there's that.

If you use an amp like the Roland Jazz Chorus for Metal, you have to pump in pedal in the amp .
                That amp is really a pedal platform .
                If you don't have a MIDI'fied pedalboard, you'll end up "tap dancing" to change channels from dirty to clean .

Comment

Even if you can get the nicest distortion pedal in front of a Jazz Chorus and you tweak it until you're happy, play it next to a real meal amp head into your 4x12 of choice, and I'm sure you'll be underwhelmed by the JC, tho.

With the exception of maybe if you're playind Swedish Death Metal and you're running an HM-2. But in that case, I'm sure the JC head into a 4x12 would sound much better than the combo.

Comment

bruce can tell ya

Comment

I have a mode 4 cab I got for $50 with speakers and cleaned up. I run my Orange & Marshall heads through it and it's a monster and way way way more than I will ever really need.

BUT IT'S FUN!

Comment

Originally posted by blakejcan View Post
                        I have a mode 4 cab I got for $50 with speakers and cleaned up. I run my Orange & Marshall heads through it and it's a monster and way way way more than I will ever really need.

BUT IT'S FUN!
                        I think the MF cabs were always well-regarded. Both the V30 and the K100 variations.

It's the head that no one liked/likes.

I do think it was way overpriced for what it was back in the day. But I could say the same about 99% of all of Marshall's catalog.

Comment

Working...
                        X