No announcement yet.

NSD: Electro-Harmonix 12" speakers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I didn't even know that they made speakers.

Comment

Well technically they re-badged Emi's..

They've been around for at least a decade as far as I can remember...

Most guitar players can't look beyond Vintage 30's

From what I've heard of them these are pretty good/legit speakers ( For $35 apeice vs. what is it now for Celestions? )

"Less is less, more is more...how can less be more?" ~Yngwie J Malmsteen

I did it my way ~ Frank Sinatra

Originally posted by Rodney Gene
      If you let your tone speak for itself you'll find alot less people join the conversation.

Youtube

Comment

I got mine for $44 a while back

they arent much
        EHD
        Just here surfing Guitar Pron
        RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
        SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
        Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
        Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
        Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
        Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
        GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

I always heard Celestions were best for rock guitar speakers but Eminence were clearer for sound reinforcement.

Comment

They're both great guitar speakers & frankly Vintage 30's do sound amazing as do plenty of other Celestions. But they do share some sort of commonality/character. the sizzly highs (some might say fizzy) and the prominent upper middy-ish tone/spikey-ness in general

To my my ears Emi's mostly seem to sound/feel smoother and slightly darker...and I like that for solo's & rhythm..

If you let your tone speak for itself you'll find alot less people join the conversation.

Youtube

Comment

so I looked at the web and I can find the the TS for $34 but the VR is still $44 everywhere

you got a link to where you got yours?
              EHD

Comment

Sorry I bought them at a guitar store here for 3000 Indian Rupee's each (a hair..10 cents or so over USD 35). Saw them piled up in their boxes in a corner and they caught my eye

Youtube

Comment

ahhh rupees thats the answer

I sometimes forget we all don't live down the road from each other
                  EHD

Comment

Originally posted by Phantasmagoria View Post
                    They're both great guitar speakers & frankly Vintage 30's do sound amazing as do plenty of other Celestions. But they do share some sort of commonality/character. the sizzly highs (some might say fizzy) and the prominent upper middy-ish tone/spikey-ness in general

To my my ears Emi's mostly seem to sound/feel smoother and slightly darker...and I like that for solo's & rhythm..
                    That’s why I love the Emi V12 Legend. It’s got everything I like about the V30 on paper with the first things to get dialled out already baked into the sound, as it’s a very smooth, balanced speaker. Compliments my G12Ks perfectly as my favourite, ultimate hi-gain speaker set.
                    The opinions expressed above do not necessarily represent those of the poster and are to be considered suspect at best.

Lead guitarist and vocalist of...

Keep up to date on our Facebook

Comment

I found my thread when I got my EHX speaker
                      the Photo links are broken but ....

EHD

Comment

Sweet, thanks for that

This vid (in the thread you just posted) has better audio too. I think they sound very decent & usable ( and not just for $35)

...& yeah ..it's all rupee's here

Electro-harmonix has them listed for sale on their site for $62 or something like that....

I wonder if there's a difference between the speaker I posted in the first post of this thread (first pic of the speaker in it's box) and the one I got/posted pics of later.

The sticker's at the back are'nt the same & the second one has a vent in the middle which the first does'nt have/is covered by the sticker (Version 1 & Version 2?)
                        Last edited by Phantasmagoria; 11-21-2023, 06:24 PM.

Youtube

Comment

its the same video
                          may be a better connection
                          its a link to my YouTube channel

oh well

I think it was throatier and more mid heavy than the Eminence that was second
                          EHD

Comment

Originally posted by Inflames626 View Post
                            I always heard Celestions were best for rock guitar speakers but Eminence were clearer for sound reinforcement.
                            I tend to stay away from Eminence most of the time. All of the ones that I've tried have either had a weird holow almost phase-y voicing to the mids that comes across super evidently when you mic them up (I've had the V12 and Governor) or are unusably dark (the Texas Heat). I've come across soooooo many Eminence speaker clips tha confirm that, like the new Slipknot speaker they came up with, the VHT P50E, the Splawn Small Blocks, etc.. They're usually decent in-the-room speakers, but at least the plain old 57 tends to hate them.

I would love to be proven wrong, TBH, but I'm not holding my breath. Especially with my bad experiences with the V12 and Governor which I have no idea how they manage to sound both dark and fizzy at the same time.

Celestions for the most part have been so easy to mic up with the exception of the T-75 which tends to sound super bright and thin at the center of the dustcap or super dark and hollow where the dustcap meets the cone. I'm sure there is a sweet spot somewhere in between, but I've never cared enough for that speaker's tone to really take the effort to find it.

But Creambacks, Greenbacks, Anniversaries, V30's, Gold, EVH's have all so been easy to work with. The problem with Celestion is they vary a lot throughout the years, so a V30 from 2000 sounds NOTHING like a V30 from 2010, for example.
                            Last edited by Rex_Rocker; 11-22-2023, 05:31 PM.

Comment

I always thought V30s were sort of the usual tone (like an Alnico V if you will), Greenbacks were more vintage (A2s), and G12-T75s were bright (ceramic-y)?

Comment

Originally posted by Inflames626 View Post
                                I always thought V30s were sort of the usual tone (like an Alnico V if you will), Greenbacks were more vintage (A2s), and G12-T75s were bright (ceramic-y)?
                                Not sure I agree. My Greenbacks were more wide-range than my V30's. They're spongier and rattier because of how they break up, but they're also both fatter and more sizzly. They're not modern speakers by any means, mind you, but they're not as honky either. At least IME.

Comment

Working...
                                X