NAD - Never thought I would own one

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NAD - Never thought I would own one

When I got the Liverpool to get some of the Page Super Beatle tones I started digging the VOX vibe. This weekend, I had an AC30 side by side with my JCM2000 in the studio, together they delivered me the best guitar tone of my life. Crunching rhythms came out of the Marshall, and when I switched to leads, the VOX would become more prominent with that violin-like May tone. No amp switching or pedal popping just both of them singing at the same time.

I went out and bought an AC30 today. And it came with a road case.

That's a beautiful beast. Keep an eye on the heat though. Both el84 amps I've owned ran VERY hot.

Comment

Dangit it

Now i want one

Dangit
      EHD
      Just here surfing Guitar Pron
      RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
      SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
      Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
      Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
      Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
      Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
      GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Originally posted by ehdwuld View Post
        Dangit it

Now i want one

Dangit

I found it for $625 with a road case. I offered $575, and he took it. Sold my Randell orange stripe to my singer for $200 to make room = $375 net cost.

Comment

if thats an ac30 cc2, they are much less prone to overheat that an old top boost

Comment

Originally posted by SlyFoxx View Post
            That's a beautiful beast. Keep an eye on the heat though. Both el84 amps I've owned ran VERY hot.
            exactly. I swear I could cook using my peavey classic 30 (EL84 loaded).

does your ac30 have greenbacks?

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
              if thats an ac30 cc2, they are much less prone to overheat that an old top boost
              Yep it is a CC2

Comment

Originally posted by esandes View Post

exactly. I swear I could cook using my peavey classic 30 (EL84 loaded).

To be honest, I know they are VOX, but I am not sure which model. I played it, and it screamed, so I took it home. ​

Comment

While the Vox sound isn't as popular as it used to be, one of my favorite tones is Blackmore from 68-70.
                  Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                    While the Vox sound isn't as popular as it used to be, one of my favorite tones is Blackmore from 68-70.
                    Yep, I am chasing a few classic tones with this amp. I would think the majority of the mid-late 60's and early 70's guitar tones we hear coming out of Abby Road, Trident Studios and every other studio in te UK are VOX amps. Guitar players, for the most part, used what was in-house at the studio back then. In England, that was VOX or Selmar. There are pictures of Blackmore, Page, Iommi, and almost every guitarist of that era in the studio playing a VOX. I do not see this becoming my main rig, but I appreciate having it as an option to color my tone uniquely when needed.

Here is Tony during the Master of Reality​ sessions

Last edited by Securb; 02-06-2024, 07:21 AM.

Comment

Nice! One of the three big guitar sounds after Marshall and Fender.
                      Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
                      This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarStv View Post
                        Nice! One of the three big guitar sounds after Marshall and Fender.
                        I was mentioning that to the SO. I now have a JC120, AC30, Fender Quad (Twin), Marshall JCM, Carvin X100B, and a few others. If I can not find a tone to satisfy my itch the problem is me.

Comment

Originally posted by esandes View Post

Decided tonight I am going to swap out the speakers for my Celestion Blackback G12Hs with the pulsonic cones

Comment

nice! love the g12h

Comment

Never thought I'd get a Vox either but I really enjoy my Night Train 50. Some folks say it sounds "completely different" than an AC30 but in my humble opinion that's utter BS. It's got the trademark Vox/AC30 sound all day long ..just w/ a bit more gain, which to me is never a bad thing...

Congrats, Enjoy ..it's actually kind of an addictive sound
                              "Less is less, more is more...how can less be more?" ~Yngwie J Malmsteen

I did it my way ~ Frank Sinatra

Originally posted by Rodney Gene
                              If you let your tone speak for itself you'll find alot less people join the conversation.

Youtube

Comment

Working...
                              X