banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Well that was fun (first redplate tube experience)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah it's dead, but something else seems to have happened as well. After replacing it (dead tube) the amp comes on & works but w/ a loud buzz (50hhz/60htz kinda). Checked all the connections/cables & stuff, it all seems ok. Looks like I will be making a trip w/ it to my tech one of these days
    "Less is less, more is more...how can less be more?" ~Yngwie J Malmsteen

I did it my way ~ Frank Sinatra

Originally posted by Rodney Gene
    If you let your tone speak for itself you'll find alot less people join the conversation.

Youtube

Comment

Made the trip already and just got back w/ the amp. It's working again

Dude just cleaned the socket or tightened it or something anyway he only charged me his bench fee (about $40) so not too bad. Might be my imagination but the amp still seems a bit noisier when idling (nothing crazy though just a bit more noise than before. It's probably he new preamp tube I swapped in. Still, it sounds great so I'll just let things be

If you let your tone speak for itself you'll find alot less people join the conversation.

Youtube

Comment

Grabbed the nearest guitar (needed some tuning ) & fired it up. All's well that ends well.

Hope everything works out well for you too Dankstar

Youtube

Comment

Thanks! Those eminences sound great. Do you use that switch on the 609 to roll off highs?

Comment

No I just had it on the "normal" setting. I have'nt really tried/touched the filter switch at all.. maybe I should ..and then post up some video's

Youtube

Comment

Got the boogie back from the shop. The main issue was the power cable. The stupid cable that goes missing before it goes bad actually went bad. WTF. He cleaned up some other stuff while he was in there (he said pots were a little smashed, amp probably fell over at some point, fixed those; there was a noise with nothing plugged into amp, fixed that; checked tubes & bias - all ok).

He was thinking the redplating was from a tube pin not making good contact. He didn't have to change out the sockets or tubes but he tweaked the tube retainer bars so they aren't pulling the tubes at an angle anymore. I previously tried to straighten them as much as possible without being too forceful.

I'm thinking the power outlet I took out of the chassis that the previous owner had in there was for a clip on fan or something he used to cool the sucker down. I may also get a little fan just to keep air moving on it.

Sounds killler now, it just gets hot as hell. Like front panel is very warm to the touch after practice.

----
              Gotta admit, I've never had such a small amp sound so big. I've had big amps that sounded kinda small but this thing is a beast.
              Last edited by DankStar; 04-30-2024, 09:09 AM.

Comment

Working...
              X