Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Rickenbacker - Worst guitars ever?

Rickenbackers? Worst guitars? What?

Someone saying that has no idea what a fundamentally bad guitar is, I guess.

My first guitar (used of course, literally for a couple of dollars). Basically, everything was wrong with it. It played as easy as fretting a tanker would be and the sound would cause permanent brain damage after 5 minutes of play... I mean, clamping notes as fretting a simple barre chord here was like lifting a car with one finger. If the first Broadcaster played and sounded as bad as this one Leo would have committed suicide. Five times in a row.

I must also add that to my biggest surprise I met this company @Musik Messe Frankfurt a couple of years ago and today they are making pretty impressive instruments.
    Last edited by NecroPolo; 06-03-2019, 09:05 PM.
    Wackor
    Ørdøg
    NecroPolo
    Diabolus in Musica
    SIDrip Alliance
    Book of Shadows
    RKH

Comment

They don't sound like Gibsons or Fenders. They don't play like Gibsons or Fenders.
      Can''t speak to recent quality because I haven't played any new ones.
      But they've always been kind of their own thing.
      "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

Sounds like they're made of cardboard. With rubber bands for strings.
        Originally Posted by IanBallard
        Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Does this count? If so, it is my favourite Rick.

On a more serious note, I love the sound of their 12-string models. It isn't a guitar I could find much use for, but it has its place.

Comment

somebody kill this thread

Here is quick list of bands off the top of my head, that had at least one player using Rickerbacker as their primary instrument

Beatles
            Rolling Stones
            The Byrds
            REM
            Tom Petty
            Eagles
            Radiohead
            Beach Boys
            Paul Weller
            Motorhead
            Metallica
            Queen
            Ween
            Deep Purple
            Joy Division
            Thin Lizzy
            Misfits
            Cure
            Allman Brothers
            Rush
            Yes
            Fugazi

List look familiar? yeah because it looks a lot like the greatest bands ever list.
            “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

Originally posted by NegativeEase View Post
              somebody kill this thread

Here is quick list of bands off the top of my head, that had at least one player using Rickerbacker as their primary instrument

Beatles
              Rolling Stones
              The Byrds
              REM
              Tom Petty
              Eagles
              Radiohead
              Beach Boys
              Paul Weller
              Motorhead
              Metallica
              Queen
              Ween
              Deep Purple
              Joy Division
              Thin Lizzy
              Misfits
              Cure
              Allman Brothers
              Rush
              Yes
              Fugazi

List look familiar? yeah because it looks a lot like the greatest bands ever list.
              That doesn’t make the guitar great. It just means some people used it at some point.

I’ve only found 1 picture of John Deacon holding a Rick bass, and outside of that, I can’t think of any point in time when Queen used Rickenbacker as their primary instruments. Similar with the Allman Brothers.

Keep in mind I have 3 Rick guitars and a 4001C64 bass and I do use them from time to time. The make a particular sound I like. But I still can’t consider them great instruments.

Comment

Originally posted by beaubrummels View Post
                That doesn’t make the guitar great. It just means some people used it at some point.

I’ve only found 1 picture of John Deacon holding a Rick bass, and outside of that, I can’t think of any point in time when Queen used Rickenbacker as their primary instruments. Similar with the Allman Brothers.

Keep in mind I have 3 Rick guitars and a 4001C64 bass and I do use them from time to time. The make a particular sound I like. But I still can’t consider them great instruments.
                First, I never said the were "great" instruments -my list of greatest band is just saying that calling them "worst instrument ever" is ridiculous. kill the thread

Deacon played a Ric as his main bass in the early days.

All for Allman Bros -that may be dicier -I several pics of Berry playing one in the 60s -but yeah, that an overreach.

Lastly, I do think they are great instruments -especially the basses and 12 strings -not really a fan of their 6ers.
                “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

“Worst ever” was just the OPs terms. I still maintain that while they are neat guitars and make a good sound, they aren’t necessarily great musical instruments when in hand. They are not the worst ever. But they are boxy feeling and have an AM radio quality sound. The 4001 basses are an exception, sound wise.

Comment

Originally posted by beaubrummels View Post
                    “Worst ever” was just the OPs terms. I still maintain that while they are neat guitars and make a good sound, they aren’t necessarily great musical instruments when in hand. They are not the worst ever. But they are boxy feeling and have an AM radio quality sound. The 4001 basses are an exception, sound wise.

high five -we largely agree then. 4003 and 4005 are excellent too. I love their nasally bright tones for a 12 strings and adding color to a larger mix. and the 6 string tone is good for notey arpeggios but not chords -generally speaking.

Comment

the Beatles used Rickenbacker guitars extensively in their recordings....even if you don't like the Beatles (I am not a big fan but have a great deal of respect for them and some of their music) their sound wasn't coming from the worst guitars ever and weren't chosen by amateurs who weren't aware of what was available...and of course as usual I am probably entirely missing the point of all this....

Comment

Working...
                      X