banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Floyd Rose Bar wiggle... any fix for that?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Floyd Rose Bar wiggle... any fix for that?

To all of you who have a floyd.. don't you find it annoying that the bar sort of wiggles in its slot, like its loose and not really a tight fit, is there a fix to this.. i know everyone is gonna say to just tighten the bolt but problem is doing that makes it too stiff and wont drop down after i'm using it and plus i even tried that and it'll just come loose after a couple of times using the bar and the "looseness" will return.. its rather annoying and can throw me off sometimes, maybe i'm just used to regular strat arms... i'm sure theres a fix to this, i thought about machining myself a new arm but that would be too much hassle lol because the bar is in fact very loose and not perfect fit with the hole... about .010" loose or so i would say... imo it could be tighter, more slide fit then that.. thats very loose if you look at it from a machinist point of view
    C-Martin Recordings
    My Soundclick page

Re: Floyd Rose Bar wiggle... any fix for that?

btw if its any help i use the bar to lower and raise pitch, so its floating and i will pull and push down on it and i use it pretty much all the time even for subtle vibrato while bending and in fact i use it almost more frequently for pulling than dropping...
    C-Martin Recordings
    My Soundclick page

Comment

Put a flake of toilet paper in the trem hole, put the bar in, tighten.

Check out my vids: http://www.youtube.com/user/EnsiGeetard

-Jackson Stars RR-J2SP

I USE ERNIE BAWL STRINGS.

Comment

Plumbers tape. PTFE tape we call it over here.
        It's a thin tape, will do exactly as you ask.

http://www.myspace.com/marchofalaric

Comment

I replace OFR arms with the old style ones with the adjustable collar and thread in arm. Seems to work best for me. That wobble you mention was a big negative for me, especially compared to the Ibanez Edge trem that doesn't wobble at all.
          www.lockwireguitars.com

Comment

Originally posted by Diocletian View Post
            Plumbers tape. PTFE tape we call it over here.
            It's a thin tape, will do exactly as you ask.
            Yup that's my Trem bar solution too!
            "Well, if I knew I probably had to play this song for the rest of my life, I probably would have written something else! ...But it's too late you're stuck with this one" Joe Walsh on 'Rocky Mountain Way'
            Churchill - "Democracy is the worst form of Government. Except for all the others!"

Comment

Having recently taken a trem to bits completely I can offer a little advice.
              If your trem arm is locating into the trem block itself and is tightened by a grub screw then you may want to try taking the whole lot apart.
              In the trem block hole there should be a platic insert that the grub screw presses on. The grub screw can drill through this over time so just rotate the insert so the grub screw is pressing on fresh plastic.
              Higher quality trems have better inserts that the arm is more snug in to start with.
              PTFE tape, as mentioned above, can also halp but is a temp fix really as it can ride up but if you're willing to but some on each time you fit the trem arm then no problem.
              It's a valve sporker... it sporks valves

Comment

yea i thought about tape but i take out the trem all the time for transport, ever since the guitar fell at one time and the bridge poped off its slot because it landed on the bar itself prying it out of place, there was no real damage to the floyd itself but i don't really take the chance anymore and remove it every time i'm not playing.. so im kind of looking at a more long term or permanent solution.. cant seem to find info or even a pic of what those old screw on arms look like and ebay dont have any.. those fit on the newer ones? mines a new OFR i bought and installed on my new charvel, all parts are new and in perfect condition.. its really the difference in diameter between the whole and the bar that creates this problem, tape can be an easy fix to this but im not sure i see myself installing tape on a dark stage trying to make it fit properly while everyone is waiting, cant do it prior either because often where not the first band playing so i have to store the guitar and thus removing the bar
                C-Martin Recordings
                My Soundclick page

Comment

I know that some years ago fender was selling a little spring that you can drop in the bottom of the screw hole. It pushes the trem arm up agaisnt the tread. BAsically any spring small enough to fit and tight enough, could do the job. Make sure you use a spring small enough, so if you do not like it, you can get it out of the hole.

Comment

I assume that you´re problem is that you prefer to have the bar swing freely, but don´t like the deadzone in the bar response that that causes?

On an OFR, there are 2 solutions for this that actually work.

One is to install the "oldschool" threaded bar/collar assembly that Pinto reccomended. These are admittedly not in plentiful supply anymore, but it still shouldn´t be impossible to find one.

Alternatively, plumbers or electricians tape, or what I´ve wanted to try but haven´t gotten around to is teflon tape. 1 layer around the very bottom of the bar (the end under the 2 depth stopping pins, the tape width usually makes using the pins as a depth guage ideal, at least the widths that I get here). It´s important that it goes OVER the end slightly because we´ll be folding this small excess over the end to slow the riding up effect that bar insertion has on the tape. You´ll still be replacing it about once a week on a guitar that get´s cased and unboxed often, though.

The tape solution will however still impede bar swingage to a degree. As far as taping in a gigging situation goes: apply the tape to teh bar when you box the guitar up after backstage setup, soundcheck and such. Then you just pop in the bar with your secret weapon already added when you unpack it for the actual gig
                    Last edited by Zerberus; 03-14-2009, 08:48 AM.
                    Zerberus Industries: Where perfection just isn't good enough.

Listen to my music at http://www.soundclick.com/infiniteending and www.subache.com

Comment

Take it off and forget it.

I've always found it easier to slide the palm of my hand over and grab the entire bridge by the fine tuners and give it a good yank. Because of that I've always wanted to try out one of those Ibanez/Korn sig models with the bar trem:

Comment

Teflon?
                        Epiphone LP Standard PlusTop Pro
                        Ibanez SZ320 / A8 DD103 bridge.
                        Ibanez RG270 / Screamin' Demon bridge.

Egnater Tweaker 15 Head / Laney Cub 8 / 2x12 - Celestion V30+K100
                        Line 6 M13 and plenty of stompboxes I rarely use!

Comment

Blue-bottled Loctite.
                          "There are three types of people in the world: those who can count, and those who can't."

Comment

Originally posted by Zerberus View Post
                            One is to install the "oldschool" threaded bar/collar assembly that Pinto reccomended. These are admittedly not in plentiful supply anymore, but it still shouldn´t be impossible to find one.
                            They are plentiful from Floyd. I keep them in stock if anyone needs.

Well, I have Chrome and Gold right now... just sold the black one. I'd be happy to put in an order on Monday. PM Me bros!
                            www.lockwireguitars.com

Comment

^^ Ah, I didn't know that they were (still) being produced (again), over here they´re almost impossible to find
                              Zerberus Industries: Where perfection just isn't good enough.

Listen to my music at http://www.soundclick.com/infiniteending and www.subache.com

Comment

Working...
                              X