banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Floyd Rose Bar wiggle... any fix for that?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Floyd Rose Bar wiggle... any fix for that?

Originally posted by Uk Ant View Post
    Having recently taken a trem to bits completely I can offer a little advice.
    If your trem arm is locating into the trem block itself and is tightened by a grub screw then you may want to try taking the whole lot apart.
    In the trem block hole there should be a platic insert that the grub screw presses on. The grub screw can drill through this over time so just rotate the insert so the grub screw is pressing on fresh plastic.
    Higher quality trems have better inserts that the arm is more snug in to start with.
    PTFE tape, as mentioned above, can also halp but is a temp fix really as it can ride up but if you're willing to but some on each time you fit the trem arm then no problem.
    Does this fix a loose trem arm barrel? On my Floyd, even after the arm is screwed tight to the threaded barrel, there is about 1/2 inch of up and down play where the arm only moves without moving the main body of the trem. The movement is in the main body threaded barrel itself--not between the arm barrel and the main body threaded barrel. Without taking apart the trem, it is hard to tell if there is a way to tighten the barrel. I'm just looking to see what's online about this subject before I go tearing it apart...

Comment

Originally posted by pinto79 View Post
      I replace OFR arms with the old style ones with the adjustable collar and thread in arm. Seems to work best for me. That wobble you mention was a big negative for me, especially compared to the Ibanez Edge trem that doesn't wobble at all.
      I had to replace the trem arm on a few Floyd's for this same reason, I tried the teflon but it wore out and was not a permanent fix. As for the Ibanez edge trem arm that thing swings around and never stays in place sloopy loose for me, It snaps in with those little white plastic clips not for me, I did a Floyd Rose trem arm conversion on mine now it's perfect.

Comment

There are 2 parts to it, The Barrel (which is on the floyd base) and The Collar (which is on the the Arm). If the Barrel is loose, there is an Allen Key screw on the underside of the Floyd that you can tighten up, if that doesn't work, try removing the screw, adding a washer, and retightening.

If the arm is loose even when you have the Collar tightened down all the way, Grab a Staedler #2 pencil, and remove the eraser from the end, drop that into the barrel and it should provide some tension for your floyd arm. If you want to take it out, remove the Allen key screw and push it up from the bottom.

Comment

I HAVE FOUND IT! THE SOLUTION! For all looking for an alternative to tape and paper that just tears. It's Screen cloth! A standard screen cleaning cloth found in screen protector packs works fine. Just be sure to measure it to your preferences, it has an unnoticeable amount of wobble in the socket. I can now do suttle vibrato effects without wanting to tear out my floyd rose. WARNING. This is obviously no good for touring! Otherwise I suggest (if you don't use any flutters) the PUSH-IN tremolo upgrade from floyd rose. Personally, it feels so much better than a normal floyd arm with the screw on collar. So just a little tip for hobbyist guitarists such as myself who absolutely hate wobbly trem arms. Hope it helps anyone else visiting le interwebz for this solution!

Comment

"Wiggle" and the Push In Arm is one of the things I hate about the Ibanez Edge; otherwise it's an awesome trem. As to Floyd Rose Originals, if it's not a vintage one with a Stock Threaded Arm, I swap out any "Collared Arm" for an Old School Threaded Arm and they're easy to find...Floyd Upgrades sells 'em.
            MuttznMongrelz

1983 Kramer Pacer Imperial
            1983 Kramer Pacer Deluxe
            1988 Kramer Nightswan
            1989 Charvel Sambora
            2016 Warmoth Hellacaster
            Boogie Private Reserve Lone Star Combo
            Rivera Hundred Duo Twelve

sigpic

Comment

I just did a push in bar conversion using the new Floyd push in bar upgrade part on my 80s Floyd just to test it out, no wiggle and I can dial in the perfect amount of tension. So far, so good.

www.DAvanzoGuitars.com

Comment

Originally posted by XSSIVE View Post
                I just did a push in bar conversion using the new Floyd push in bar upgrade part on my 80s Floyd just to test it out, no wiggle and I can dial in the perfect amount of tension. So far, so good.

Where'd you get the part?
                Nope...

Comment

Originally posted by GilmourD View Post
                  Where'd you get the part?
                  I'm an OEM for Floyd so I get them direct but any Floyd dealer should be able to order them. Musicians Arsenal has them listed on their site (out of stock on chrome though)...

www.DAvanzoGuitars.com

Comment

Originally posted by XSSIVE View Post
                    I'm an OEM for Floyd so I get them direct but any Floyd dealer should be able to order them. Musicians Arsenal has them listed on their site (out of stock on chrome though)...

http://www.musiciansarsenal.com/floy...moloarm-2.aspx
                    Nice.

I have a Gotoh with the push-in arm but my Wolfgang trem and two other Floyds (one German OFR with a thinner plate, rare, and the other a Special) have the screw collar. I'll have to try one of these.

Sent from my Moto X 2014 using Tapatalk
                    Nope...

Comment

I use the Fender spring in my strats. The spring is actually SUPPOSED to come with the guitar, be in the trem hole already with a piece of tape over the hole, but have never had one that it is actually installed from the factory. Telfon, or plumber's tape works, and I also have used the plastic coating that you can get that is like the plastic on the inside of lock nuts (the hardware store kind of lock nut, not the guitar kind). I've never considered blue loctite 9kindof surprising considering I am a car guy/gearhead), but that would also work. Just be sure to use blue as the red will keep it there permanently.

Comment

don't know if its already been suggested: 1/4 inch of humbucker mounting spring down in the collar. screw on arm. problem solved
                        good deals with:

Buyers - Allstarme, Savage_Distorton, Lerxst6, KingIZZO))), Powerglide350, Donnievaz, SrDeMaFp, Guston7, Ayrton, IndySG, eclecticsynergy, eaeolian, Jolly

Sellers - 51501984

Comment

Go buy my book. https://www.amazon.com/dp/198405564X

Comment

Originally posted by 80's_Metal View Post
                            Awesome - A PERMANENT FIX!!!
                            MuttznMongrelz

1983 Kramer Pacer Imperial
                            1983 Kramer Pacer Deluxe
                            1988 Kramer Nightswan
                            1989 Charvel Sambora
                            2016 Warmoth Hellacaster
                            Boogie Private Reserve Lone Star Combo
                            Rivera Hundred Duo Twelve

sigpic

Comment

I just installed the push in arm on my Floyd, love it, no more wiggle

Comment

Originally posted by Snoogles View Post
                                don't know if its already been suggested: 1/4 inch of humbucker mounting spring down in the collar. screw on arm. problem solved
                                I actually tried this today. Thanks for the tip, I used to use a little piece of tape but the spring ended up being truly the better solution. No wiggle at all!
                                Jackson JS30
                                Squier Strat ´99
                                Project-Ibanez - something?
                                Ex-Pinecaster - bad choice of wood, man

Comment

Working...
                                X