banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Floyd Rose Bar wiggle... any fix for that?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Floyd Rose Bar wiggle... any fix for that?

Originally posted by Atomic Chameleon View Post
    Blue-bottled Loctite.
    BINGO!! That works. Thanks! Just to be clear, I think there are two different issues being discussed in this thread. 1) The wiggle issue. This is when you have the whammy bar already in hand and you try to move it up or down, there is an annoying little play in it. Most ppl assume (myself included, previously) that this is because there is too much space between the part of the whammy bar that is inserted into the shaft, and the interior of the shaft. Wrong. I discovered that the wiggle problem has to do with outer threads of the shaft and the whammy bar screw not making a solid enough connection. Clean both parts and apply BLUE (not Red) Lok-tite to the outer threads of the shaft, screw in the whammy bar, let it cure for 24 hrs, and that problem will be solved. The other problem, 2) is that some ppl don't like for the whammy bar to flop around like a big swing d***. Everyone wants it to be able to move; but if you want the movement to be more controlled, drop a small spring into the shaft before screwing in the whammy bar.
    Last edited by saxon987; 07-21-2017, 06:02 PM.

Comment

This is a new one on me! Probably works just fine, too.

aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Comment

I hate FR. In fact, I just got rid of a perfectly good guitar because it had a FR. Worst trem. And you can't just swap out with the lower/profile one. Honestly, what gives?

Oh well, crappy trem bar insert, too "in the way" for todays use, never again.

Comment

Originally posted by pinto79 View Post
          I replace OFR arms with the old style ones with the adjustable collar and thread in arm. Seems to work best for me. That wobble you mention was a big negative for me, especially compared to the Ibanez Edge trem that doesn't wobble at all.
          Same here; do not like Collared Arms at all. Old School Threaded Screw In Arm on EVERY Floyd Original. I have a couple edges and their arms are pretty good with no wiggle but I like the Screw In/Threaded OFR Arm best.
          Last edited by muttznmongrelz; 07-22-2017, 07:32 PM.
          MuttznMongrelz

1983 Kramer Pacer Imperial
          1983 Kramer Pacer Deluxe
          1988 Kramer Nightswan
          1989 Charvel Sambora
          2016 Warmoth Hellacaster
          Boogie Private Reserve Lone Star Combo
          Rivera Hundred Duo Twelve

sigpic

Comment

Floyd Rose Bar wiggle... any fix for that?

Floyd Rose now has a new collar and trem arm you can buy converting the trem arm to a push in rather than screw in. I installed it to stop the wiggle in my Korean made original floyds, and it worked, now there's no wiggle just like an Ibanez Edge.

Comment

cut off about 1/8th inch of humbucker mounting spring. drop it in the hole. screw in the tremolo arm.
              good deals with:

Buyers - Allstarme, Savage_Distorton, Lerxst6, KingIZZO))), Powerglide350, Donnievaz, SrDeMaFp, Guston7, Ayrton, IndySG, eclecticsynergy, eaeolian, Jolly

Sellers - 51501984

Comment

Originally posted by Diego View Post
                Teflon?
                Super old thread but what the heck. All these years I never tried to fix my FR arm being a bit loose but I just tried this and worked just fine.
                Who took my guitar?

Comment

A little wood glue might help.

;>)/
                  sigpic Moderation is a fatal thing. Nothing succeeds like excess. - Oscar Wilde

Comment

Working...
                  X