• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Thinking of buying an SG today.

^^ i hate that about the stock SG Standard humbuckers

The neck is full and lush with huge lowend but just not enough highs to cut

The bridge is bright and harsh and cuts all day but has no balls

The middle position is the worst of both worlds

Mine is getting a Duncan Custom Shop Tony Iommi humbucker in the bridge and a P-Rails in the neck
    green globe burned black by sunn

Comment

Yeah! That is nice! I am jealous...
      Pulse 2AM - YouTube
      Pulse 2AM - iTunes

Comment

Originally posted by Empty Pockets View Post
        ^^ i hate that about the stock SG Standard humbuckers

The neck is full and lush with huge lowend but just not enough highs to cut

The bridge is bright and harsh and cuts all day but has no balls

The middle position is the worst of both worlds

Mine is getting a Duncan Custom Shop Tony Iommi humbucker in the bridge and a P-Rails in the neck
        Could not of said it better myself. Mine is getting a C5 and a 59 as soon as my bank account recovers.
        - Gibson CS ES339 - Gibson Les Paul Trad - Gibson J-200 Standard - Fender Hwy1 Strat - Gibson Captain Kirk Douglas SG - Takamine E-series Acoustic - Fender Blues Deluxe - Fender Excelsior -

Comment

i'm thinking about putting a cream coloured dimarzio paf pro in the neck of my les paul (it has a super d at the bridge) and putting an alnico pro II at the neck of the SG.
          Blessed is he who expects little for he shall not be disappointed.
          You can educate ignorance but you can not educate stupidity.

Originally posted by stratocastered
          In a world where its necessary for a man to wax his chest, you'll find me parallel parking perfectly with a 12-pack and a full beard.
          http://www.reverbnation.com/c./a4/11...65/Artist/link

Comment

does that SG have that weird gibson circuit board thing theyre doing now?

Comment

Originally posted by astrozombie View Post
              does that SG have that weird gibson circuit board thing theyre doing now?
              Mine does not. It's an '09, I opened her up when I got her home, to find good old fashion pots.
              - Gibson CS ES339 - Gibson Les Paul Trad - Gibson J-200 Standard - Fender Hwy1 Strat - Gibson Captain Kirk Douglas SG - Takamine E-series Acoustic - Fender Blues Deluxe - Fender Excelsior -

Comment

mine doesn't either. it has regular old pots. i can't stand that new fangled stuff gibson is doing
                Blessed is he who expects little for he shall not be disappointed.
                You can educate ignorance but you can not educate stupidity.

Originally posted by stratocastered
                In a world where its necessary for a man to wax his chest, you'll find me parallel parking perfectly with a 12-pack and a full beard.
                http://www.reverbnation.com/c./a4/11...65/Artist/link

Comment

As far as i know the circuit board is only on the new 'upgraded' Les Paul Standards...tho i have heard of a few cases of SG's having the Bourne board and pots.
                  green globe burned black by sunn

Comment

IMHO, the Std with the thicker neck is about right.

Under high gain the P90s will hum a lot and there are no really good hum-free options, and many no-hum soapbars require deeper routes.

The DD sounds very good in a SG std (did in mine, anyway).

All things considered the std is a safer option for you, IMHO. And you can always slam in Phat Cats or the like.

Comment

Originally posted by phil_104 View Post
                      Glad to hear that sounds good. I'm finding, over the last few days, that the 498t lack a bit of punch. It cuts fine, but has no meat to it's sound. Glad you found something you dig in it.
                      Try an A8 in that 498T. You'll get mids and plenty of punch.
                      "Completely Conceded Glowing Expert."
                      "And Blueman, I am pretty sure you've pissed off a lot of people."
                      "Wait, I know! Blueman and Lew can arm wrestle, and the winner gets to decide if 250K pots sound good or not."

Comment

Originally posted by richard parker View Post
                        Oh Yeah I forgot about black. That is absolutely stunning. There was a programme on BBC last night about the development of British Heavy Metal. Lots of SG's and they're always so eye catching. I have one but I want more. Congratulations.
                        I've got a black SG with a batwing pickguard. Very nice. I think black SG's look a little plain with the small angelwing pickguard. But put on a bigger pickguard or a maestro...
                        "Completely Conceded Glowing Expert."
                        "And Blueman, I am pretty sure you've pissed off a lot of people."
                        "Wait, I know! Blueman and Lew can arm wrestle, and the winner gets to decide if 250K pots sound good or not."

Comment

Working...
                        X