Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Project fullMap

Originally posted by Wolferine92 View Post
    Ooh what a beast! I dislike the inlays though.
    You can't make out the grain in the pic but they are actually rosewood. I think they work but yeah it could have easily been done without them at all.

Comment

Originally posted by kramersteen View Post
      This is coming along now. I glued in the inlays and lave got the image down on the fretboard. Now its mostly sealing and sanding to clean it up.

I gotta say...that's all kinds of AWESOME!!!
      MuttznMongrelz

1983 Kramer Pacer Imperial
      1983 Kramer Pacer Deluxe
      1988 Kramer Nightswan
      1989 Charvel Sambora
      2016 Warmoth Hellacaster
      Boogie Private Reserve Lone Star Combo
      Rivera Hundred Duo Twelve

sigpic

Comment

That is going to be so FREEKIN COOL!!
        Where Words Fail, Music Speaks
        If a positive attitude is a Magnet for positive results, what type positive attitude sounds best, A2, A5, UOA5, A8, C8, or?

Comment

Originally posted by muttznmongrelz View Post
          I gotta say...that's all kinds of AWESOME!!!
          Aiiiiiii thanks, I should have the body done by the end of the weekend. The smaller frets have been a ***** to do, right up until the 24thfret was pretty easy then it got much harder. Just like playing it haha. I think next time i do this it will be on a 22./24fret not 31.

Originally posted by J E C View Post
          That is going to be so FREEKIN COOL!!
          You sure? haha thanks bud i was wondering where you got to.

I had a issue with my inlays apparently the wood dust from them has become trapped in the fabric around it, I guess i should have sealed it more first before i glued them in. Anyway i can fix that.
          Last edited by kramersteen; 05-09-2014, 02:58 PM.

Comment

Have you guys had enough yet? I know i am running out of steam.

Home of....

Comment

Oooompf that looks mighty tasty! Details body shots please!

Comment

Originally posted by Wolferine92 View Post
                Oooompf that looks mighty tasty! Details body shots please!
                I will but i have heaps to do this afternoon. I need to round off all the edges on the front. After that i will post better pictures.

I was thinking i might do a simple satin finish on it instead of my usual acrylic gloss. hmmmmm.

Comment

Looking very very good!

I like the inlays, I think it gives it some kind of balance. If I were going to play it I would need more inlays, with so many frets I'd be lost without them. The side dots have never been enough for me! I look more at the board.

Please tell us more details on how you are sealing the fabric!

Comment

Sanding sealer^^

What a day that was. I had a **** of a time with the last 6 fret to the point where i decided i would remove some of the material and begin again. I sort of like how it is now and i think it works ok. Either that or i scollop them out.

it close to what i wanted.

I got the edges roughed in and the top almost sealed, Trimmed it up a bit better. Still way more to go but i couldn't resist placing some hardware in there to have a look. It looks great with the hardware.

Last edited by kramersteen; 05-10-2014, 11:54 PM.

Comment

Looking good mate ,don't get disheartened by a little set back .Paint them matching blue and call them ocean
                      Any neck dive with those monster frets ?
                      https://www.facebook.com/ChaozGuitars

Comment

Originally posted by ChAoZ View Post
                        Looking good mate ,don't get disheartened by a little set back .Paint them matching blue and call them ocean
                        Any neck dive with those monster frets ?
                        YEah it was already water there any way. haha i ill see how it goes after a day or so but trying this on a neck this long with frets so small was a big risk to start with. I am happy with it i just want it finished now.

When you say neck dive do you mean how it balances? If so really well considering. you can put it on your lap and it just floats there, it doesn't dive down so i guess i got that right.

Comment

Hey, I can see my house from here! In the 11th fret!

Keep it up kramersteen, it looks amazing. I have one question though, a probably silly one but what the heck... I know that much of the guitar tone and natural sustain comes from the wood on the fretboard. Isn't the fabric on the wood going to mess with that? Isn't it going to dampen the vibration?

Comment

Originally posted by cavallino View Post
                            Hey, I can see my house from here! In the 11th fret!

Keep it up kramersteen, it looks amazing. I have one question though, a probably silly one but what the heck... I know that much of the guitar tone and natural sustain comes from the wood on the fretboard. Isn't the fabric on the wood going to mess with that? Isn't it going to dampen the vibration?
                            Good question and a hard one to answer.. I have played this one for a good week with no finish at all on it so the test will come when i put it all back together. In the past i have covered the back of necks and entire bodies and imo the tone change is for the better, In fact i cant really see how its that different from a wood veneer as the fabric become so hard its really not like fabric as we know it. The original vai flower jems were done like this and i dont think vai had any complaints. My 80's ibanez destroyer has the thickest paint i have seen on a guitar and that thing sounds great and infact the material is much thinner than that.

So to sum it up i think no it doesn't dampen the tone but it does change it.

Comment

Originally posted by kramersteen View Post
                              Oh man! thanks for the laugh.

If you cant beat them, join them haha, well played.
                              Ha! I dig it so far. Curious to see the finished product.
                              Originally posted by Good Will Hunting
                              Real loss is only possible when you love something more than you love yourself.

Comment

dood, this is getting sexier even with the minor finishing details commin these last few days, forgot to mention those inner recesses of the upper and lower horns are awesome. i m pretty sure if u have the fingertips small enough for the upper frets, nothing else gets in the way. talking about upper fret access, would love to see how the neck joint/heel looks like on this one.

Comment

Working...
                                X