banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who's working on a build right now? Let's see your stuff!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Who's working on a build right now? Let's see your stuff!

Originally posted by treyhaislip View Post
    Most welcome dude!

Nah bro, its just because the seasons are changing

Put the tools away for a bit, take the kids out for a hike or something and then you'll get the itch back.
    Thats right man! Much as I kid around, The K man is is super intelligent ( if i had his brains I'd be deadly) and does great awesome work. A real asset to the forum. Too much of a good thing can get , well, too much. Take a break K-man. Maybe look at Gibson175's assemblies, and do a build that gets back to the essential basic for some perspective?There is no outer limit at this point with modern technology, but there is a great basic starting point you may have lost touch with?
    Last edited by MetalManiac; 08-30-2016, 06:48 PM.
    "Anyone who understands Jazz knows that you can't understand it. It's too complicated. That's what's so simple about it." - Yogi Berra

Comment

Originally posted by saladin View Post
      Here's my latest Strat build. I actually finished it in April but since I've got a collection of pickups and pickguards,
      I've been playing musical chairs finding the right combination. Now it's done.

I used an Allparts SMNF-FAT neck that I Tru-oiled, with "Kluson" style tuners that someone forgot to put in the top loading bit...lol.
      Matched up perfectly with an light ash body from Rock Audio Guitar Parts, highly recommended and a very good price!
      I used a Wilkinson trem with a full sized steel block...excellent!

I now understand why Tele players love the ash body/maple neck combo...very snappy and mid-rangy response.

For pickups, the bridge is a Duncan TB-59, a SSL-5 (non RW/RP) in the middle, and my a Zhangbucker Hot Vintage (A5-A3)(7.6k) for the neck slot.
      I originally set it up as a SSS Strat with the SSL-5 in the bridge but I really can't kid myself, I need a true humbucker in the bridge.

I have no problems volume wise with these pickups, the SSL-5 matches wonderfully with the 59, even seems like they were meant to be together.
      The Zhangbucker bridge pickup in the neck gives a wonderful jazzy flavor due to the A3 mags in the treble side.

I'll be keeping this guitar for a long time. I'm planning my next build already and it's gonna be a Tele!!!
      All black with maple neck is classy. Looks great.

Comment

Originally posted by BartOfDarkness View Post
        The DKMGT body just arrived! It's looking pretty sexy if I say so myself, but I can't install the neck yet, because the neck joint on the DKMGT used smaller screws. I'm going to have the Kahler installed by a pro, so I'll have them do the work on the neck joint too. Speaking of the Kahler, it arrived, but my mailbox isn't opening, so it's trapped... It's coming together a lot faster than I thought it would.

Sorry in advance for crappy iPad photos.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]74711[/ATTACH]
        More black. Going to be another nice one.

Comment

Originally posted by kramersteen View Post
          Thanks bro. I think I'm loosing my drive and desire for this stuff.
          That'll blow over. It's a kind of creativity that gets in your blood. You may take a break but it'll drive you again.

Comment

Originally posted by rgand View Post
            That'll blow
            We're talking about jerry right?

Comment

Not a build, only an assembly , but if I can boast a moment, few can assemble parts such as myself.

I have posted previous iterations of this body. An old early 80's Dimarzio, and I think the heavily utilized Poplar that Peavey also used at that time. So old growth high grade Poplar...BUT get this; I am mating the old Dimarzio body ( very thin skin Poly finish) with a super rare Paduak/ Madagassacr Ebony fretboard Warmoth from the late 80's/ early 90's. Its the very earliest of Warmoth necks with only a stamp on the neck, nothing burned in like most all other Warmth necks. . Lynn Elsworth era.

I am making this as my dream approximation of a early 60's rosewood neck Fender Strat. You see, Paduak is like a super Maple that was used on the shaft of the early 60's Fenders, but with even better tone and feel. Then the old Madgascar ebony would actually be much sweeter than Maple, but similair in tone that Fender used on their old necks, so I have a premium '61 Strat that Fender could not have made due to budget constraints, if not exactly historically accurate, Plus the neck now has new Jespar gold frets that last for damn near ever, and are 6100,and done by a master tech (although he left a high fret, but thats to be expected)
              c
              So then I got custom wound Chubtones 61 replicas, which are cult scatterwound strat pickups) . I soldered the pikguard up tonight, and I have gotten much better at this..OH..Hell>>Yeah!;

[IMG]

[/IMG]
              Last edited by MetalManiac; 08-30-2016, 09:48 PM.
              "Anyone who understands Jazz knows that you can't understand it. It's too complicated. That's what's so simple about it." - Yogi Berra

Comment

wHO BOTCHED THE FRETS?

Comment

Frets are perfect, besides one high(low) fret on the 2oth that is dead. Its normal to have to dig out the old frets on a refret of an old neck.OBTW , Callaham Trem, and German Engineered Schaller tuners on the neck. 1st class all the way.

BTW, the early Lynn Elsworth Bodies are what Ed used on Vh-1, and his was even b- stock! Ed used a scrub Hard Ashbody from Lynn Ellsworth. It was hard Ash, and probably not real resonant, and that's why you want hard Ash for EVH1 tone- it isn't resonant, and emphasizes the fundamental note which leads to a aggressive fast attack , long loud sustain without harmonic breakup( which in most cases you want), and super fast note transients.
                  Last edited by MetalManiac; 08-30-2016, 10:26 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by kramersteen View Post
                    We're talking about jerry right?

MetalManiac, that DiMarzio will look good. Looking forward to a finished pic of that one.

Comment

More black. Going to be another nice one.
                      Thanks for the compliment! It's actually dark forest green, but it's impossible to tell unless it's under a bright light.

Comment

Originally posted by BartOfDarkness View Post
                        Thanks for the compliment! It's actually dark forest green, but it's impossible to tell unless it's under a bright light.
                        Nice.

Comment

Just received the first piece for my first build... looking forward to a fun project, even if it takes me a while!

It's unfinished, so it's a good thing for me that I run a paint store!

Oh, in case you're curious... here's a mockup of what I want the finished product to look like.

[emoji450] Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk [emoji441]
                          Originally posted by The Commodores?
                          "Chicken Brown Chicken Brown Cow"

Comment

Sweet man! Those are cool inlays!

Comment

That will be beautiful. Good vision, there.

Comment

Originally posted by treyhaislip View Post
                                Sweet man! Those are cool inlays!
                                That will be beautiful. Good vision, there.
                                Thanks guys! I couldn't resist it for $15.00 ($27.10 shipped). I kinda liked the inlays too and I figured that, for that amount of money, I didn't mind working on honing my so-so finishing skills. The rest will take a while, as I plan on just getting the pieces a little at a time as the budget allows, but I've got plenty to get started with by just working on this neck for the moment!
                                Originally posted by The Commodores?
                                "Chicken Brown Chicken Brown Cow"

Comment

Working...
                                X