• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: What's wrong with this picture? Gibson? Content

I have been a professional at my trade for 35 years
    and yes I also count the years when I was just a dumb underpaid helper
    because thats just how that works

the under paid Johnny bar band is getting paid which makes him a professional
    for a few hours every weekend

when he is on the clock
    its his job to entertain

if he spends the gig money on rent or his kids education or his drug habit
    it has no bearing on the fact he is paid to perform

is he under paid
    sure is

thats why he has the day job

may have several day jobs over the years

may only have one band
    EHD
    Just here surfing Guitar Pron
    RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
    SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
    Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
    Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
    Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
    Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
    GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Originally posted by Obsessive Compulsive View Post
      Brian, there wouldn't be an argument if everyone just sticks to the dictionary definition, as opposed to complicating matters by expanding the scope.
      there wouldnt be an argument if everyone just agreed with you

but we dont
      EHD

Comment

Well the only person I am aware of who makes a living playing music is Mincer.
        No doubt at best, there's only a small handful here (Mincer included) on this forum whose occupation is playing music; those are the Professional Musicians... by dictionary definition.

Of course the members here choose gear based on the name. Why do you think Gibson and Fender are more popular than Ibanez and Yamaha? Yeah superb QC sure..

Same thing for effects, people prefer TC and Dunlop to 'inferior competitors' from overseas like Zoom. Come on, don't delude yourself. You may not realize it and that's okay.
        Exactly - brand names carry clout.

Marketers know this. Fender knows this. Gibson definitely knows this.

And... lots of companies (not just music-related) rest on their name-brand laurels and provide a sub-par product to the consumer.

Comment

Dude you are pushing it...ha...ha.. So an elementary school kid raising money for a bicycle for example, by doing paper route, is a professional, per your definition.

The world's leading online dictionary: English definitions, synonyms, word origins, example sentences, word games, and more. A trusted authority for 25+ years!

adjective
          following an occupation as a means of livelihood or for gain:
          a professional builder.
          . . .
          undertaken or engaged in as a means of livelihood or for gain:
          professional baseball.
          Actually, a kid with a paper route is indeed professional, per your definition. "livelihood or for gain" You're so caught up in your own bias you missed it.

Comment

Originally posted by beaubrummels View Post
            Actually, a kid with a paper route is indeed professional, per your definition. "livelihood or for gain" You're so caught up in your own bias you missed it.
            My definition? What? It's copied directly from Dictionary.com. Click the link I posted. Me bias? Lol....

FYI I am a pure hobbyist (that's 'euphemism' for bedroom player) for 26 years of my guitar playing so, you might want to make sure who is biased in this argument.

Comment

My definition? What? It's copied directly from Dictionary.com. Click the link I posted. Me bias? Lol....

FYI I am a pure hobbyist (that's 'euphemism' for bedroom player) for 26 years of my guitar playing so, you might want to make sure who is biased in this argument.
              So you're argument against that is to point out where the definition came from?
              Schecter ATX Blackjack C7 BKP Painkiller (B) and Abraxas (N)
              Hagstrom Hj800 Jazzbox stock pickups
              Fender Jazz Bass EMG MJ Set
              Music Man SUB Ray5 stock pickups
              Line 6 Helix
              Dunlop Strings and Picks

The opinions expressed above are my own and do not reflect normal levels of sanity.

Comment

You sourced it from the internet and posted it as your position; essentially you posited that the dictionary definition is 'the' definition, ergo your definition.

Comment

The upshot of all of this is that the assertion that there are many pro's on here is correct.

Move on

Comment

Dude you are pushing it...ha...ha.. So an elementary school kid raising money for a bicycle for example, by doing paper route, is a professional, per your definition.

Please don't attempt to condition the situation. Whether you like it or not (or whether you can't stand LLL or not), here's the correct definition:

The world's leading online dictionary: English definitions, synonyms, word origins, example sentences, word games, and more. A trusted authority for 25+ years!

adjective
                    following an occupation as a means of livelihood or for gain:
                    a professional builder.

of, relating to, or connected with a profession :
                    professional studies.
                    appropriate to a profession :
                    professional objectivity.
                    engaged in one of the learned professions :
                    A lawyer is a professional person.
                    following as a business an occupation ordinarily engaged in as a pastime:
                    a professional golfer.
                    making a business or constant practice of something not properly to be regarded as a business: “A salesman,” he said, “is a professional optimist.”.
                    undertaken or engaged in as a means of livelihood or for gain:
                    professional baseball
                    Brian, there wouldn't be an argument if everyone just sticks to the dictionary definition, as opposed to complicating matters by expanding the scope.

Dude, I clearly said occupation. If you are going to be a stickler for the definition then you should stick to the definition yourself. And if you are going to be a stickler about things you shouldn't mix my quotes to try and make them look the way you want them to be presented.

Maybe the only people you know have one specific job and never have to do any other work to supplement/or flat out help when things are slow. I know tons of people who work multiple jobs. For an example in music, there are many orchestras around the USA that pay very little for full-time work. Meet some of the musicians in those orchestras who are mowing yards, cleaning pools, working retail jobs, etc. to help pay the bills while they pursue their passion for classical music AND tell them they are not professional musicians.

According to the definition I was disputing, said musician would NOT be considered a professional. Some people have multiple jobs to do what they love. If you read my point, you can be a professional musician and not have 100% of your income coming solely from music.

And it was nothing personal against LLL–the only one taking sides here is you.

He said: When you can pay your mortgage, car payment, food, bills and send the kids to college solely off of the proceeds of your music career, thenand only then can you call yourself a "Professional Musician".

Why didn't you take the Dictionary against his "definition"? He said a professional musician has to even put their kids through college...where is that in your textbook definition?

Comment

So ... if a guy lives in an alley, in a refrigerator box next to a dumpster with all his possessions in a shopping cart. And, if this dude plays guitar on a street corner where people drive by and throw coins and dollar bills to him out their car windows. And those tossed bills and coins pay for his booze, food, sterno, Goodwill clothing and whatever else he needs to support his lifestyle. Does that make him a professional musician ...

Just wondering.
                      Last edited by Darg1911; 06-09-2017, 08:04 AM.

Comment

If a single dude earns 200K per year as a GM for a small company. And he also earns another 60K per year playing regular gigs. He pays a mortgage and lives a lifestyle that the 60K a year alone wouldn't support. But, if he bought a smaller home, or rented an apartment, the 60K he earns from playing music alone could support him. Does that make him a "professional musician"? Or, would he only be a "professional musician" if he quits his 200K per year GM job and moved to an apartment ...

Again, just wondering.

Comment

Originally posted by Darg1911 View Post
                          So ... if a guy lives in an alley, in a refrigerator box next to a dumpster with all his possessions in a shopping cart. And, if this dude plays guitar on a street corner where people drive by and throw coins and dollar bills to him out their car windows. And those tossed bills and coins pay for his booze, food, sterno, Goodwill clothing and whatever else he needs to support his lifestyle. Does that make him a professional musician ...

Just wondering.
                          Depending on the busking laws
                          It may make him a criminal
                          EHD

Comment

I don't get obsessed with labels. Let people call themselves whatever they want.
                            Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by 2ndhandband View Post
                              If it's just a hookup who cares?
                              Been there... Done that... Never that simple...
                              Nope...

Comment

Originally posted by Darg1911 View Post
                                If a single dude earns 200K per year as a GM for a small company. And he also earns another 60K per year playing regular gigs. He pays a mortgage and lives a lifestyle that the 60K a year alone wouldn't support. But, if he bought a smaller home, or rented an apartment, the 60K he earns from playing music alone could support him. Does that make him a "professional musician"? Or, would he only be a "professional musician" if he quits his 200K per year GM job and moved to an apartment ...

Again, just wondering.
                                $60K playing gigs? I wish! I'm making $35,700 as a computer technician!
                                Nope...

Comment

Working...
                                X