Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What's wrong with this picture? Gibson? Content

Originally posted by Dusty.Rhoads View Post
    You get a mahogany body with a maple cap, a nitro paint job and a guitar that is going to hold it's value better than just about any product you can by. The rest you can adjust yourself or have adjusted. I say go Gibson and/or American Fender over most anything else and don't under any circumstances put SNSs in them
    Why nitro exactly? That crap is LEGENDARY for chipping and cracking. A good poly finish wears much better and affects the tone not one iota.

Comment

Originally posted by 2ndhandband View Post
      Why nitro exactly? That crap is LEGENDARY for chipping and cracking. A good poly finish wears much better and affects the tone not one iota.
      The operative word in you assertion is good
      . IMO a good poly finish is not the standard, on most guitars they are applied too thickly and in that case they do deaden the tone.

But squabbling over nitro vs. poly serves no purpose. Notro just happens to be my preference. I have a black 1993 Gibson Les Paul that looks as good as the day it left Nashville.

Comment

Are you done bashing our guitars?

Comment

Originally posted by Dusty.Rhoads View Post
          The operative word in you assertion is good
          . IMO a good poly finish is not the standard, on most guitars they are applied too thickly and in that case they do deaden the tone.

But squabbling over nitro vs. poly serves no purpose. Notro just happens to be my preference. I have a black 1993 Gibson Les Paul that looks as good as the day it left Nashville.
          Well no... I'm not going to get into this one either. I'm pretty heavily on the side of the tonewood debate that says tone is almost 100% electronics, strings, and hardware.

Comment

I look at like this: If I'm a working musician​, and I spend a few grand on an axe, it had better not need any more prep before I play than my tech can do in a few minutes. Time is money.
            If I'm a hobbyist and I scratch together a few grand for my dream guitar, and it arrives and isn't right, I'm way more likely to make a bigger stink about it. Probably because the professional is more able to absorb the cost until they replace or repair it.

Sent from my MotoE2(4G-LTE) using Tapatalk

Comment

I look at it this way: if you don't like it then don't buy it for me.

Oh, you weren't going to buy it for me anyway? I guess I'll just continue living my life.

Also that guitar is a fake.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Comment

local mom and pop stores
                like the one I ordered my Florentine (its an Epi I know)
                did a free set up and had it tweaked exactly the way I wanted it when I got to the store

if I had ordered a Gibson I feel sure it would have been treated the same

you really cant get that online

I do order online because of availability or price
                if it needs setting up or adjustment I weigh that in as well

I want what I want and I'll have just what I want
                and no amount of blind chatter can change that
                EHD
                Just here surfing Guitar Pron
                RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
                SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
                Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
                Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
                Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
                Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
                GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Well no... I'm not going to get into this one either. I'm pretty heavily on the side of the tonewood debate that says tone is almost 100% electronics, strings, and hardware.
                  Have to disagree there. Gibson Explorers in the early to mid 80s were made with alder bodies and maple necks instead of the usual mahogany. I once had a chance to compare an '84 Explorer against my '96; both were loaded with EMG-81/85 at the time. The alder/maple Explorer sounded like thin, nasal crap compared to mine. I've had similar things happen far to many times to believe that wood doesn't matter in terms of tone.
                  Originally posted by crusty philtrum
                  And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

On topic, that "Gibson" is definitely fake. The inlays on the headstoco are off.

Off topic, if you don't like Gibsons, then going into a thread about Gibsons and bashing them is a surefire way to let people know you're totally reasonable. I don't like ESP. I don't bash ESP threads when they show up.
                    Schecter ATX Blackjack C7 BKP Painkiller (B) and Abraxas (N)
                    Hagstrom Hj800 Jazzbox stock pickups
                    Fender Jazz Bass EMG MJ Set
                    Music Man SUB Ray5 stock pickups
                    Line 6 Helix
                    Dunlop Strings and Picks

The opinions expressed above are my own and do not reflect normal levels of sanity.

Comment

Originally posted by eclecticsynergy View Post
                      DANG! Gotta give old Orville some cred for being a sharp dresser!
                      Every girl crazy bout a sharp dressed man
                      My Bands -
                      https://kamikazechoir.hearnow.com/
                      www.instagram.com/kamikazechoir
                      www.reverbnation.com/theheartlessdevils

Just some fun guitar stuff from time to time
                      GUITAR KULTURE

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny the Kid View Post
                        On topic, that "Gibson" is definitely fake. The inlays on the headstoco are off.

Off topic, if you don't like Gibsons, then going into a thread about Gibsons and bashing them is a surefire way to let people know you're totally reasonable. I don't like ESP. I don't bash ESP threads when they show up.
                        Ah well... I don't like ESP that much either, but I don't bash them. Know why? Because taste aside every ESP I've ever met has been a quality product. Consistency is everything, really.

Comment

Ah well... I don't like ESP that much either, but I don't bash them. Know why? Because taste aside every ESP I've ever met has been a quality product.
                          Interesting. Aside from a George Lynch my uncle bought, every ESP I've ever picked up is a piece of crap that would look great hanging in my fire pit.

Consistency is everything, really.
                          I hope I'm not the only one who will hold you to this.
                          Schecter ATX Blackjack C7 BKP Painkiller (B) and Abraxas (N)
                          Hagstrom Hj800 Jazzbox stock pickups
                          Fender Jazz Bass EMG MJ Set
                          Music Man SUB Ray5 stock pickups
                          Line 6 Helix
                          Dunlop Strings and Picks

The opinions expressed above are my own and do not reflect normal levels of sanity.

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny the Kid View Post

I hope I'm not the only one who will hold you to this.
                            And you'll get it, too. Give me your setlist and 12 hours and I guarantee a good show, every time...

Comment

Originally posted by dystrust View Post
                              Have to disagree there. Gibson Explorers in the early to mid 80s were made with alder bodies and maple necks instead of the usual mahogany. I once had a chance to compare an '84 Explorer against my '96; both were loaded with EMG-81/85 at the time. The alder/maple Explorer sounded like thin, nasal crap compared to mine. I've had similar things happen far to many times to believe that wood doesn't matter in terms of tone.
                              The problem human perception is subjective and inconsistent. That's why metrics and tools were invented.

Comment

Luck of the Draw eh?

Sent from my MotoE2(4G-LTE) using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X