Clear All

Re: Jimmy Page x Fender… Coming January 2019

Nothing new in this puff piece, but some video

-Chris

Originally posted by John Suhr
    “Practice cures most tone issues”

Comment

I don't know what Janie Hendrix was thinking there.
      -Chris

Comment

Originally posted by Ayrton View Post
        I don't know what Janie Hendrix was thinking there.
        $

Comment

Originally posted by Blille View Post
          $
          They have to sell first
          -Chris

Comment

Awesome! Exactly what I don't want.

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
              What was his issue with the first runs of Gibsons?
              The late 90s Gibson USA Jimmy Page signature was shipped with the wrong neck profile and the wrong pickups. The neck on his #1 was re-shaped by hand, but it's pretty close to a '60 slim taper. The late 90s sig model had a '59 neck profile and a 496R/500T pickup set.
              Originally posted by crusty philtrum
              And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

Gibson Custom Jimmy Page Guitar Nominated for Award

“This is a great recognition of the prestigious work the Gibson Custom Division continually produces,” said Henry Juszkiewicz, Chairman and CEO of Gibson Guitar. ”The Jimmy Page Signature model has been an enormous success since it came out and to work along side of such a legendary performer was remarkable.”

You can’t make this stuff up.

Comment

Gibson Custom Jimmy Page Guitar Nominated for Award

“This is a great recognition of the prestigious work the Gibson Custom Division continually produces,” said Henry Juszkiewicz, Chairman and CEO of Gibson Guitar. ”The Jimmy Page Signature model has been an enormous success since it came out and to work along side of such a legendary performer was remarkable.”

You can’t make this stuff up.
                  That's a completely different guitar than the late 90s Gibson USA model. That one was Custom Shop only, insanely expensive, and much closer in spec to Jimmy Page's actual #1 Les Paul.
                  And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

Originally posted by dystrust View Post
                    That's a completely different guitar than the late 90s Gibson USA model. That one was Custom Shop only, insanely expensive, and much closer in spec to Jimmy Page's actual #1 Les Paul.
                    So the one in the press release was actually good?

Comment

So the one in the press release was actually good?
                      That's the general consensus AFAIK. They didn't make very many, so I've never seen one in person. The late 90s version was basically a glorified LP Standard of that era.

Comment

Originally posted by AlexR View Post
                        A lot of his best known stuff is a Tele. Stairway is all Fender for the electric side.

I wonder who the 'friend' of Page's was that (without being asked and also while JP was away on tour) decided that what the Dragon Tele needed most was a refin - and supposedly 'killed' it in the process.
                        Interesting, I wonder how he put the extra strings on the Tele for the electric 12 string part?

I know the solo is Tele, but that’s all I’ve seen confirmed. Same with LZII, the last two decades the Internet lore has gone from all Les Paul to all Telecaster. The solo on Heartbreaker is Les Paul into Marshall, at least that was the story years ago. The dates match too, Page had his first LP before LZII, and it was recorded during touring of LZI.
                        Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Originally posted by PFDarkside View Post
                          Interesting, I wonder how he put the extra strings on the Tele for the electric 12 string part?

I know the solo is Tele, but that’s all I’ve seen confirmed. Same with LZII, the last two decades the Internet lore has gone from all Les Paul to all Telecaster. The solo on Heartbreaker is Les Paul into Marshall, at least that was the story years ago. The dates match too, Page had his first LP before LZII, and it was recorded during touring of LZI.
                          Pretty sure you're being snarky, but for those that weren't aware all of Page's electric 12-string recordings were done with a Fender Electric XII.

Comment

Pretty sure you're being snarky, but for those that weren't aware all of Page's electric 12-string recordings were done with a Fender Electric XII.
                            In the big picture 12 Strings are pretty rare, but Stairway and Song Remains the Same really made me want one. Add in some Byrd’s and Tom Petty and I’m amazed I never got one.
                            Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Originally posted by PFDarkside View Post
                              In the big picture 12 Strings are pretty rare, but Stairway and Song Remains the Same really made me want one. Add in some Byrd’s and Tom Petty and I’m amazed I never got one.
                              I'm pretty much in the same boat.

Aren't you a Strat guy? I picked up a 12-string Yamaha Pacifica for $200 a month or so ago and spent another ~$100 for a decent set of pickups. They're typically closer to $300 used, but overall a solid guitar with lousy electronics being the only glaring weakness. They're also swimming pool routed, so your options are pretty much unlimited if you're willing to replace the pickguard.

Comment

I'm pretty much in the same boat.

Aren't you a Strat guy? I picked up a 12-string Yamaha Pacifica for $200 a month or so ago and spent another ~$100 for a decent set of pickups. They're typically closer to $300 used, but overall a solid guitar with lousy electronics being the only glaring weakness. They're also swimming pool routed, so your options are pretty much unlimited if you're willing to replace the pickguard.
                                That sounds like a fantastic idea!
                                Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Working...
                                X