Your preferred method of string winding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Your preferred method of string winding

I know, there are about as many opinions about this as there are people, but let me hear yours.

There's almost nothing I hate associated with the guitar EXCEPT putting new strings on. I put off fretboard cleaning and even swapping pickups all because I HATE changing strings so much.

So let me hear YOUR tried and true winding methods. Are you an 'over' or an 'under'? Bend or not? Tuck or no? How many winds on each string? Does it differ on whether it's a 3+3, or an inline 6?

FWIW, I'm ready to string up an old Epi SG that I'm just going to sell or trade off, so I don't want to have to do this one again.

And I'm sure this has already been done ad nauseam, but hey, beating a dead horse is what I do best.

Re: Your preferred method of string winding

many of my guitars have locking tuners but on the ones that dont, i put one wrap over and the rest under. usually two or three under for wound strings and three or four for the plain strings

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
      many of my guitars have locking tuners but on the ones that dont, i put one wrap over and the rest under. usually two or three under for wound strings and three or four for the plain strings
      Do you bend the end?

Comment

No special techniques really. Each string gets about 3 wraps around the post. One over, the rest under.

But I'm a big fan of six in line tuners for string changes. I like to change strings while watching TV or doing something else . . . and have on several occasions had a brain fart carelessly wrapping the string the wrong direction for three tuners on a 3+3. :P
        Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
        This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Sounds like something I would do.

I've always done more wraps that you guys. I guess just paranoid about not getting enough to hold, and having to redo them. Can't put more back on after you've cut it.

Comment

And again, do you bend the end or not?

Comment

I don't really understand your distaste for changing strings. I set up guitars for people for free all the time, and it is no trouble at all to change a set of strings. You do, at least, have a cheap little plastic string winder don't you? I don't bother with Over/under wraps or the knot tying that some people do. I have never noticed a difference in tuning stability with those techniques and just winding about 2 to 3 wraps around the post in a downward pattern. Tuning problems are almost never a result of string winding. I put a little less wrap on the Low E and A string than the others. Nothing makes me happier than taking a badly set-up guitar with fretboard/fret crud and rusted strings and cleaning/polishing and restringing it with a perfect setup and watching the look on the owner's face when they play it afterward.

Comment

I don't know why either. But for me, it's right up there with ironing and doing the dishes.

I actually enjoy fretboard cleaning, when my back is up to it. It's just changing strings. Probably one of the reasons I've never kept a 12 string for very long.

And I can't find any of my little winders. I do still have a powered one though.

Comment

Over under wrap with about 2 wraps and turn the end back on itself on the wound strings to prevent core slippage and on smaller G, B, and E to prevent losing an eyeball.
                  Last edited by NegativeEase; 06-25-2019, 02:14 PM.
                  “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
                    Exactly what I do. The best for string changing is the Steinberger, which uses double-ball strings. They go between 2 slots, and with 1/2 turn of the knob you are in tune.
                    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by NotCardio View Post
                      I don't know why either. But for me, it's right up there with ironing and doing the dishes.

I actually enjoy fretboard cleaning, when my back is up to it. It's just changing strings. Probably one of the reasons I've never kept a 12 string for very long.

And I can't find any of my little winders. I do still have a powered one though.
                      Ya know, putting the dishes directly into the dishwasher instead of on the sink makes the whole process a whole lot faster and easier.

As for winding strings, I just use locking tuners and bend the excess back and forth until it breaks off. It's quick, easy, and doesn't require any tools.
                      You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
                      Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

Sounds like Elixirs or D'Addario EXPs were a match made in heaven for you. I'd avoid Ernie Ball Everlasts though, they are crappy
                        “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

I've only used Elixirs on an acoustic. I really liked them.

Comment

I've only used Elixirs on an acoustic. I really liked them.
                            Yeah, they're great, but D'Addario EXP Bronze/Phosphor are even better sounding -but don't last as long hanging on a wall as the Elixirs -either are a great choice.

Comment

What jeremy said.

Comment

Working...
                              X