Your preferred method of string winding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Your preferred method of string winding

i dont bend anything so im not sure what you mean. i stick it through, wrap it once on top, once under then turn the knob till its in tune, cut the excess close to the post. once all six are on i stretch the strings and tune em up

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
      i dont bend anything so im not sure what you mean. i stick it through, wrap it once on top, once under then turn the knob till its in tune, cut the excess close to the post. once all six are on i stretch the strings and tune em up
      A lot of guys will stick it through, cut it off at about a finger's length, then bend what's sticking out down and wrap the turns aound it so it won't slip back out. I've always just bent it in the direction I'm going to turn, so that it doesn't slip while I'm making the wraps.

Comment

nope, no bending for me then. i play 11's in standard tuning, play hard, and dont have tuning issues

Comment

I have a Fender Deluxe thats straight 6 with Schaeller lockers with Graphtech saddles and nut -and it mades it through several flights and a gig without needing tuning -I was amazed how stable it is. Also have a Pedulla LP Special style with 3 and 3 tunomatic bridge, bone nut and Grover 14:1s which sometimes goes months without needing tuning even when bending a lot.

So I think a good guitar set up professional or properly with good hardware should be fine either method, 3 and 3s have pressure at the nut from the angled headstock -and 6ers have the string trees -either work well if done right. Can't say one is better IME.
          “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

many of my guitars have locking tuners but on the ones that dont, i put one wrap over and the rest under. usually two or three under for wound strings and three or four for the plain strings
            Exactly this.

For decades I bent a Z to keep strings on place that left a mm excess after cutting. Only a year or two ago I started to keep the end straight. No excess after clipping.
            Last edited by NecroPolo; 06-26-2019, 07:11 AM.
            Wackor
            Ørdøg
            NecroPolo
            Diabolus in Musica
            SIDrip Alliance
            Book of Shadows
            RKH

Comment

many of my guitars have locking tuners but on the ones that dont, i put one wrap over and the rest under. usually two or three under for wound strings and three or four for the plain strings
              I was about to write this post word for word. Thanks for saving me the trouble.

Comment

I don't do any bending or stretching either. I just play.
                Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

The Planet Waves auto-cutting locking tuners are the best thing for someone who really really really hates changing strings.

Comment

I don't understand about bending down, or over/under for that matter. I just do the standard lock wrap that I've been using for fifty years.
                    It's simple, it locks tight, and it works perfectly every time.

[
                    Last edited by eclecticsynergy; 06-25-2019, 11:13 PM.
                    "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

I've always found it a painstaking process as well, especially since all but about 3-4 of my 17 guitars have Floyds..just changed the strings on two of them and it's always a pain.

I have about a whole wrap each around each tuner post with the string going over the inserted part after about half a turn. For the non-trem axes I use Big Bends Nut Sauce on all the string contact points as well...which makes things nearly as stable as a locking trem.
                      "Less is less, more is more...how can less be more?" ~Yngwie J Malmsteen

I did it my way ~ Frank Sinatra

Originally posted by Rodney Gene
                      If you let your tone speak for itself you'll find alot less people join the conversation.

Youtube

Comment

Your preferred method of string winding

Originally posted by eclecticsynergy View Post
                        I don't understand about bending down, or over/under for that matter. I just do the standard lock wrap that I've been using for fifty years.
                        It's simple, it locks tight, and it works perfectly every time.

[
                        This is how I do it on my acoustics and non-locking tunered electrics.

Side-note re. Acoustics with pins bridges - using this method allows you to loosen the strings then remove them from the bridge without taking the strings off the headstock. I recently put a new bridge in my Martin HD28 and having this ability was essential in sanding for the right depth/action. Also works when changing battery and the holder is beneath the strings. This all may seem obvious for some, but after YEARS of working on my own guitars, it was an epiphany for me!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

I just do all under. Although most of my guitars have Fender vintage style tuners, I kind of like them.

I’ve been using Elixir Nanowebs. I used to love changing strings on my electrics, keeping them all tweaked and tuned, unusually liked Slinky’s or D’Addario XLs. (I still think thy sound the best) But with a 3 year old and a 1.5 year old, any time with a guitar I prefer to spend playing now, so Elixirs let me pick it up and play, not worrying about if the strings are dead or not.
                          Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Huh, never thought anything of it, I always just pull the string through the peg until i get to the slack i want then start winding. No over, no locking, just 2 to 3 turns wound around the peg. Its worked for the last 29 years.....
                            "It keeps you fit - the alcohol, nasty women, sweat on stage, bad food - it's all very good for you." -Bon Scott

"Let me put it this way: the 5150 will treat
                            you better than any girlfriend, because it screams louder, it's easier to pick up, and it shuts up when you take your plug out." -Rip Glitter

Comment

For me : very few winds if it is locking tuners.
                              Smartphone Zombies won't shred

Comment

And do you change them often ?
                                It becomes a problem when you have many...
                                Smartphone Zombies won't shred

Comment

Working...
                                X