Your preferred method of string winding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Your preferred method of string winding

for my guitars with locking tuners, i pull the string through the hole taught, then tighten the locking mechanism. usually end up with less than one full wrap

as for how often i change them... basically once i break a string, i usually swap the set unless i was a lazy bum and only brought one guitar to the gig in which case i swap that bugger as fast as i can once the song stops

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
      for my guitars with locking tuners, i pull the string through the hole taught, then tighten the locking mechanism. usually end up with less than one full wrap

as for how often i change them... basically once i break a string, i usually swap the set unless i was a lazy bum and only brought one guitar to the gig in which case i swap that bugger as fast as i can once the song stops
      This is the same way I change strings with locking tuners. Strings last 1 outside show in Florida, and that's it. The guitar has to be cleaned and restrung due to a lot of sweat and really high humidity.
      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I wrap around the post with the locking tuners once to ensure maximum string wave form transmission into the resonant loop of the guitar for sustain.

probably doesn't make a difference in most if not all cases, but just to be sure.
        Last edited by NegativeEase; 06-27-2019, 05:21 PM. Reason: spelling
        “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

I've used the Martin method for years on the 3+3 tuners.

On the Fender slotted style, I pull the string through the slot, and measure about 1" beyond. At that point I put a sharp right-angle bend and then cut the string 5/8" beyond the bend. The bent end gets inserted into the hole, and then wind away. This is the Fender method I learned in the 1960's.

Never minded changing strings. And I once did a complete string change on my D-28 on a break in 12 minutes.

Bill
          When you've had budget guitars for a number of years, you may find that your old instrument is holding you back. A quality guitar can inspire you to write great songs, improve your understanding of the Gdim chord while in the Lydian Mode, cure the heartbreak of cystic acne--and help you find true love in the process.

Comment

Working...
          X