Better strat heel joint . . .

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Better strat heel joint . . .

Could you just buy a regular strat body and sand down the heel joint a bit to make it less obtrusive and easier to play up high on the neck? I figure that you would need some shorter screws afterwards to avoid causing accidentally popping through the fretboard, but is there any other reason that this wouldn't work?
    Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
    This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Re: Better strat heel joint . . .

Fender makes shaved heel models. I've owned 4.

Sent from my REVVLPLUS C3701A using Tapatalk

Comment

I think making the heel thinner (Schecter/Jackson) is more effective than shaving a corner off (ex. American Elite.) Thin body Squiers or Mustangs actually allow quite a bit more ‘reach.’
      Originally posted by King Buzzo
      I love when people come up to me and say “Your guitar sound was better on Stoner Witch, when you used a Les Paul. “...I used a Fender Mustang reissue on that, dumbass!

Comment

I really like the heel shaping on my Ibby prestige models. I've always been more of a thru-neck guy but those don't bug me one bit.

Comment

Ibanez’s all access joint is phenomenal.

Comment

I've played great bolt on heel joints that are nicely rounded (my Godin is great in this regard). Just wondering if anyone has modified an existing strat body to fix the big ugly square problem.
            Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
            This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Lol I'm mainly an RG player but I just got a fender elite this week. Agree that Ibanez RGs do it right. The AZ I am planning to sell has the placement a little different so you can feel it. No complaints with the elite since it is 22 frets - it does the job the way it should - but still the RGs are the best design imo

Comment

This is a design that should trickle down to all Strat models.
                Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Nagisa View Post
                  I just got a fender elite this week.
                  Yes! Let’s see it!
                  Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                    This is a design that should trickle down to all Strat models.
                    Speaking of which, the HP heel on the les pauls should have been made standard. Out of the major guitar types, I feel LPs suffer from the heel joint the most

Comment

Originally posted by PFDarkside View Post
                      Yes! Let’s see it!
                      I'm waiting till I have a less busy day to make a full review. In the meantime just know I'm really satisfied with it, and don't see a need for any mods. Only negative (which I knew) is that the frets aren't ss

Comment

I'm waiting till I have a less busy day to make a full review. In the meantime just know I'm really satisfied with it, and don't see a need for any mods. Only negative (which I knew) is that the frets aren't ss
                        Can’t leave me hangin... Burst Tele? Blue Strat? Autumn Blaze Metallic?
                        Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Speaking of which, the HP heel on the les pauls should have been made standard. Out of the major guitar types, I feel LPs suffer from the heel joint the most
                          I agree. It is silly that they keep with that clunky thing for the majority of their models.
                          Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by PFDarkside View Post
                            Can’t leave me hangin... Burst Tele? Blue Strat? Autumn Blaze Metallic?
                            Tobacco burst strat

Sorry I like your autumn blaze but I'm a wood grain guy But anyways your input the other week helped me to choose the strat, so thank you.

Comment

If you were able to, it would be possible to carve the whole area on an angle so there was less bulk. This would most likely enable the plate to be reused, though you'd have to shorten 1 screw at the very least.
                              You can off the corner, like elite strats I think. This too would allow the use of the plate and all of the screws at full length. Of course you'd need to go at the plate with a grinder to match the curve and possibly redrill 1 hole. This might be also a case for some dwelling action too.

Strats, tales and Les Paul's suffer from the 'vintage' issue. Most purchasers are wanting a fully vintage like guitar irrespective of budget. So from the cheapest lines if you were to replace the old style interface there would be outrage. I think the Gibson access joint models have been slightly extended in range of late.

Comment

Working...
                              X