VINTAGE LPC.....WITH A COOL STORY

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VINTAGE LPC.....WITH A COOL STORY

I wasn't gonna go look at this guitar, let alone buy it....especially when I saw the Kahler, but I figured it would be a nice drive.

A 1971 Les Paul Custom.

This guitar was taken to the repair shop that I bought it from for a headstock crack repair, a refret and to remove a piece of leather that was glued on the back of the body.

BACKSTORY...the original owner took this guitar to Gibson in Kalamazoo, before they went to Nashville...so before 1984...and had the Kahler installed at the factory. It has all original electronics...Patent Sticker pickups, 1971 pots and original toggle.

So this guy takes it to the shop for the repair and restoration work. The work is completed and he did an AWESOME JOB...he calls the owner to come pick it up. The owner doesn't pay the bill, he abandons the guitar completely!!!! So the shop owner is stuck with it and no pay for the repairs. He listed it for sale locally...I saw the ad and I decided to go give it a whirl.

I had never been to this shop before. He does repairs, setups, refinishes, custom builds, etc. A super cool dude. His workmanship is incredible! The work he did on this 71 LPC is incredible! The repairs he did on the headstock and the back of the body are nearly invisible....and he reliced the areas to match the checking to the original finish on the rest of the guitar!

The fretwork is great...he refretted it with jumbo wire and it feels great! It sets up really nice!!! It weighs 10.5 lbs. The neck is a medium C...probably about .850 at the first.

The Kahler is unfortunate, but cool at the same time....being properly setup, it performs very well and is not a tone sucker. The patent sticker PAFs sound KILLER!!!!!

I'm glad I made the trip....I took home a wonderful Les Paul!!!

IMG_2066 by brent HENDERSON, on Flickr

IMG_2064 by brent HENDERSON, on Flickr

IMG_2061 by brent HENDERSON, on Flickr

IMG_2040 by brent HENDERSON, on Flickr

IMG_2036 by brent HENDERSON, on Flickr

71204026_10217481354178438_415111604225441792_n by brent HENDERSON, on Flickr

IMG_2042 by brent HENDERSON, on Flickr

IMG_2044 by brent HENDERSON, on Flickr

IMG_2048 by brent HENDERSON, on Flickr

IMG_2049 by brent HENDERSON, on Flickr

IMG_2067 by brent HENDERSON, on Flickr
    I'm just a few hundred lessons away from being a great guitar player.......

Re: VINTAGE LPC.....WITH A COOL STORY

I saw a white one in the early 80's just like that @ my local shop. If you would have told me back then i could have that LPC if i cut off my right arm you'd be looking at a one arm man now. I do have a LPC now but no Kahler nor would i want one.

Comment

Cool guitar. Great story!

Bill
      When you've had budget guitars for a number of years, you may find that your old instrument is holding you back. A quality guitar can inspire you to write great songs, improve your understanding of the Gdim chord while in the Lydian Mode, cure the heartbreak of cystic acne--and help you find true love in the process.

Comment

that fretboard is daaaaaaark. love it

Comment

Is there documentation of the factory Kahler installation?

If it was actually done by Gibson, it must have been on a Friday late afternoon.
          Originally posted by LesStrat
          Yogi Berra was correct.
          Originally posted by JOLLY
          I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

While you had the strings off, why didn't you pull the Kahler and take pix of the routing?
            aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Comment

Originally posted by ItsaBass View Post
              Is there documentation of the factory Kahler installation?

If it was actually done by Gibson, it must have been on a Friday late afternoon.
              I expected some sort of **** comment from you...

Comment

Originally posted by ICTGoober View Post
                While you had the strings off, why didn't you pull the Kahler and take pix of the routing?

I actually haven’t had the strings off yet. Some of those pics are from the shop owner.

Comment

Cool!

It looks like a fun guitar to play with the Kahler.
                  Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
                  This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Reminds me of some of the Les Paul Customs that Robert Fripp would play.
                    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Boogie Bill View Post
                      Cool guitar. Great story!

Bill
                      Thanks man!

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarStv View Post
                        Cool!

It looks like a fun guitar to play with the Kahler.
                        Thanks bro!!!

Comment

Originally posted by blakejcan View Post
                          that fretboard is daaaaaaark. love it

Thanks dude!

Comment

If i ever did have a Paul w/a trem i would want this one over a FR.

Comment

Cool guitar, looks like a good find. A couple of questions, is the Kahler reversible? Do you think the screws in the headstock for the locking system are the reason for the headstock break?

Comment

Working...
                              X