Guitar Setup Challenge...Bridge Too High

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Guitar Setup Challenge...Bridge Too High

I have a Warmoth VIP (PRS Copy) which I need to crank the bridge super high. Currently, it's higher than any other fixed bridge guitar I've ever had. This also forces me to raise the bridge pickup super high. The guitar plays OK, but I do have tuning stability issues. From what I can tell the nut, and tuners are rock solid so I keep circling back to the bridge. As shallow as it is I think the bridge being sky hig looks silly too. Also, I'd like to install some Triple Shot rings, however, the midsection of the VIP is flat so the bridge humbucker would look dumb as heck in the flat ring. It would basically look like it's sitting on top of the guitar.

Thoughts on how I can improve the setup? Have you run into this before? Maybe it's not an issue, but aesthetically, and possibly tuning stability wise, I'd like to get it dialed in.

Re: Guitar Setup Challenge...Bridge Too High

Reverse shim?
    Originally posted by King Buzzo
    I love when people come up to me and say “Your guitar sound was better on Stoner Witch, when you used a Les Paul. “...I used a Fender Mustang reissue on that, dumbass!

Comment

Why do you need it so high? Buzzing?

Is the neck also a Warmoth? What is your action like...how much relief, if any?

Comment

Backbow in neck?
        EHD
        Just here surfing Guitar Pron
        RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
        SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
        Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
        Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
        Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
        Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
        GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

OP, you not getting the answers you want over on the Warmoth forum?

I'll say it again - how does it play? Don't worry about what it looks like.

I'll say it again - looked at a Les Paul lately? The type of bridge you have sits up high.

Just play the thing.
          aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Comment

Originally posted by ICTGoober View Post
            OP, you not getting the answers you want over on the Warmoth forum?

I'll say it again - how does it play? Don't worry about what it looks like.

I'll say it again - looked at a Les Paul lately? The type of bridge you have sits up high.

Just play the thing.
            Thanks for the replies. I'll post some measurements up and maybe we can spot a setup error.

Regarding how it plays, it plays OK. Not great, and certainly not as nice as any of my 4 Les Pauls. Also, I did need to raise the bridge due to buzzing, but again I'll post some measurements. Love the Warmoth site, but when Warmoth customer service says my set issue is because I have a tall pickup ring, that tells me it's time to get a few more opinions. Not the best pics, just ones I had handy, but yes the bridges on my LPs (Standards and Traditional) vary in height. However, none of them approach the height of the VIP. Something is off.

Comment

The bridge pickup ring looks square instead of angled. I would try a different but proper Les Paul ring for a start. Fret buzz is a setup issue that won’t be solved by that alone, however.

Comment

From the pics, both pickups look too high/close to the strings. I’m with others who have asked about neck relief, etc. Do you know how to measure relief and adjust truss rod?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

I might be off as per usual, but at least the guys will correct me and I'll learn from it... Is it a bolt-on (sorry, I was too lazy to check out the model)? If yes, then I'm thinking neck angle... But go with what others have suggested first, the neck relief &co measurements. Also, is the exact issue that it cannot go lower or it could, but then its unplayable due to buzzing?

Comment

Originally posted by nexion218 View Post
                    I might be off as per usual, but at least the guys will correct me and I'll learn from it... Is it a bolt-on (sorry, I was too lazy to check out the model)? If yes, then I'm thinking neck angle... But go with what others have suggested first the neck relief &co measurements. Also, is the exact issue that it cannot go lower or it could, but then its unplayable due to buzzing?
                    Thanks for all the suggestions. I ordered some proper luthier tools last night and will remeasure and triple check everything. I'll post the results Friday when the tools arrive.

The guitar is a bolt-on. I just checked Warmoth's site and found a potentially interesting piece of info. For this particular bridge, Gotoh 510, to work properly the neck pocket must be angled 1.5-3*. I'm not sure in which direction, but they clearly state the angle is required. They also state they will properly route can be performed for an additional $10, but the site implies the pocket will be properly routed if the Gotoh bridge is selected. Maybe the neck pocket was never routed properly? Another measurement to take!

Stay tuned for pics and measurements coming asap.

Comment

Typically the angle Warmoth is speaking of is opposite what you would need (i.e. it would increase the string tilt away from the body surface), so it's likely your body is already angled if you ordered it for this particular bridge setup originally.

I want to know more about the buzzing you experienced. Where was it occurring? All frets? All strings?

I'm fairly certain this is a setup issue and unlikely to be a manufacturing issue (though anything is possible). Even then, the bridge really isn't *that* high, in my opinion.
                      Last edited by Masta' C; 10-30-2019, 11:54 PM.

Comment

You exaggerate quite a bit, but aesthetics is in the eyes of the beholder.

The height of the bridge (that small difference between what you have and, say a Les Paul) will NOT create tuning instability problems. By far the most contributing factor to tuning instability is the fret slots in the nut, with cheap tuners coming in a close second.

You can create a negative neck pocket angle with shims from StewMac (just put them in backwards). Looks like 1-2 degrees would work for your guitar.

Triple shots would work just fine. Your concerns about the bridge pup looking like it is on top of your guitar is unfounded, but I get what you are saying. Changing the neck angle will allow you to lower your bridge and pickups.

Check for possible needed truss rod adjustment. Get your nut properly slotted and lubed. Make sure strings are properly wound on your tuners. Intonate. Then see if stability has improved.
                        Last edited by GuitarDoc; 10-31-2019, 09:47 AM.
                        Originally Posted by IanBallard
                        Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

I still think the truss rod is too tight.
                          aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Comment

Originally posted by ICTGoober View Post
                            I still think the truss rod is too tight.
                            And what will that have to do with his bridge sitting so high?
                            Originally Posted by IanBallard
                            Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Did he say the board was flat

Fret the first and last frets
                              Use the string as a straight edge
                              Is the string touching all the frets?

There should be some relief or space under the middle ones
                              Not much but not touching

That would tell you if the neck has a back bow
                              Which would cause the symptoms described

This is what Goob is referring to
                              EHD
                              Just here surfing Guitar Pron
                              RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
                              SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
                              Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
                              Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
                              Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
                              Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
                              GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Working...
                              X