banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

You have $2000 for guitar(s). Do you buy one $2000 guitar, or....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Top-L View Post

Unless the neck has mythic stability, it will change over time and the fret profile will not be as perfect as it is now. I think you will still need to get it leveled every 3-5 years.
    I had a 76 Les Paul deluxe with a three piece maple neck that didn't need adjustment in th 20 years I owned it. Maybe not what a purist would pick, but those things were amazing

Comment

It can happen.

Comment

I'd buy 3 $500 guitars, and then deck them out with pickups and knobs and straps etc.
        Go buy my book. https://www.amazon.com/dp/198405564X

Comment

Originally posted by 80's_Metal View Post
          I'd buy 3 $500 guitars, and then deck them out with pickups and knobs and straps etc.
          Yeah, sure and how many amps?
          For 2 grand, I'd find a $300 guitar and a $1700 amp.
          In a pawn shop.

Sent from my Alcatel_5044C using Tapatalk

Comment

I'm not spending over $1000 on a guitar anymore.

I always wanted a US made Fender Stratocaster and at 44 years old I finally bought one from sweetwater this May. It's an American Professional model and at $1449.99 + tax, it was extremely underwhelming.

The finish was subpar, pickups were flat, and it needed a new nut out of the box (the b string slot was cut to low). Plus I needed to add quality of life features like new pickups, modern saddles, different color pickguard/plastic parts, and locking tuners. (FYI The hard case is amazing so I guess thats a plus)

So I've put about $1900 into a strat I could have pieced together and made exactly the way I wanted for about $1000.

The last $2000 Gibson I bought was extremely disappointing quality control wise also, so I just done. I'm done spending over $1000 on guitars.

In the future, at least if there is a quality control issue, it will be my fault and I didn't over pay for it.
            Originally posted by Lucid_Lunatic
            If you think an Epi is as good as a Gibson, you're probablly not old enough to find the clit yet.

Comment

For $2000...

Used Reverend Buckshot $550
              Used Fender Hot Rod Deluxe $400
              Used array of pedals:
              • Voodoo Labs Micro-Vibe ($75 used at Guitar Center)
              • MXR Phase 90 ($50 used at Guitar Center)
              • JHS Bonsai ($175 on Reverb)
              • JHS PG-14 ($150 on Reverb)
              • Catlalainbread Calisto Chorus ($160 on Reverb)
              • Supro Analog Delay ($170 on Reverb)
              • Catalainbread Topanga Spring Reverb ($160 on Reverb)
              • JHS Prestige Boost ($100 on Reverb)

Comment

Originally posted by Wonker View Post

I always wanted a US made Fender Stratocaster and at 44 years old I finally bought one from sweetwater this May. It's an American Professional model and at $1449.99 + tax, it was extremely underwhelming.

The finish was subpar, pickups were flat, and it needed a new nut out of the box (the b string slot was cut to low). Plus I needed to add quality of life features like new pickups, modern saddles, different color pickguard/plastic parts, and locking tuners. (FYI The hard case is amazing so I guess thats a plus)

So I've put about $1900 into a strat I could have pieced together and made exactly the way I wanted for about $1000.

The last $2000 Gibson I bought was extremely disappointing quality control wise also, so I just done. I'm done spending over $1000 on guitars.

In the future, at least if there is a quality control issue, it will be my fault and I didn't over pay for it.
                I am starting to feel the same way.

It seems like 1500 these days is just a 500 guitar with lots of marketing and pretty features.

Comment

Late to the party, but like many, I'd buy myself an used Ernie Ball Music Man for under $2K and keep the change. The SS frets, neck carve, and oil/wax finish allows the guitar to play effortless. Bends are like silk. Living in a studio apartment, I don't need quantity, but would prefer quality w/ specific specs.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Comment

When did EBMM start using SS frets? I was looking at some Axes (Axii?).

Comment

Originally posted by Wonker View Post

I understand this mentality. I am sorry for your bad experience. I am on the opposite end of the spectrum. I will never spend less than $1500 on a new guitar ever again. I cannot justify spending even a single dollar on any guitar that does not have SS frets for starters. If the guitar does not have a neck profile similar to Gibson's 50s profile, I do not want it. If the guitar is not available in the color or with the woods I want, I will not touch it.

To each their own...
                      Soundcloud

Comment

Originally posted by devastone View Post
                        When did EBMM start using SS frets? I was looking at some Axes (Axii?).

I don't know when it started, but it honestly depends on the model. Some of the cutlass, valentine, and stingray models carry the SS frets (I believe they have SS and non SS on some). The artists models such as the John Petrucci, Saint Vincent, Jason Richardson, and Dustin Kensure carry them too.

I want to say most Ball Family Reserve (limited release) models have SS frets. My Cutlass is a BFR model. The fretwork on this neck is the best I've seen or owned from a production line. EBMM prides themselves in outstanding neck construction. No one seems to like the Cutlass shape, but everyone forgets it was designed by Leo.

Last edited by YeRedHouseOverYonder; 07-29-2020, 12:17 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by YeRedHouseOverYonder View Post
                          It honestly depends on the model. Some of the cutlass, valentine, and stingray models carry the SS frets (I believe they have SS and non SS on some). The artists models such as the John Petrucci, Saint Vincent, Jason Richardson, and Dustin Kensure carry them too.

I want to say most Ball Family Reserve (limited release) models have SS frets. My Cutlass is a BFR model. The fretwork on this neck is the best I've seen or owned from a production line. EBMM prides themselves in outstanding neck construction. No one seems to like the Cutlass shape, but everyone forgets it was designed by Leo.

I am a huge fan of EBMM Stingray basses. Some of the best production line basses I have ever heard, played or seen.

Sadly, as a singlecut slut, I have never tried an EBMM guitar and I likely never will. However, I do not doubt they are fine, premium instruments, just like their basses.
                          Soundcloud

Comment

Originally posted by SnakeAces View Post

I am a huge fan of EBMM Stingray basses. Some of the best production line basses I have ever heard, played or seen.
                            Dude! I made the mistake in 2005 of not buying a EBMM stingray bass. I did not want to wait 3 months to get a brand new model versus heavily played floor models at GC. I was 16 years and had sold bottles/cans for 6+ months. I ended up with a MIA Fender Jazz Bass that was lack uster. A EBMM Stingray 5 is still a dream bass of mine. Its a monster tone through a SVT-3 Pro.

And much like you, EBMM guitars were never on my scope until I was looking for a quality made strat that wasn't $2000+. I refuse to pay that much for a CNC'd strat. I'm seeing custom shop strats go for $3800-5000 depending on relic or finish. So, I found my BFR for $1750 shipped and being a limited release of 49 guitars, it'll likely retain most of its value. From someone who loves the playability and tone from the EBMM basses, the production quality translates to their guitars for sure \m/

Comment

Dude! I made the mistake in 2005 of not buying a EBMM stingray bass. I did not want to wait 3 months to get a brand new model versus heavily played floor models at GC. I was 16 years and had sold bottles/cans for 6+ months. I ended up with a MIA Fender Jazz Bass that was lack uster. A EBMM Stingray 5 is still a dream bass of mine. Its a monster tone through a SVT-3 Pro.

And much like you, EBMM guitars were never on my scope until I was looking for a quality made strat that wasn't $2000+. I refuse to pay that much for a CNC'd strat. I'm seeing custom shop strats go for $3800-5000 depending on relic or finish. So, I found my BFR for $1750 shipped and being a limited release of 49 guitars, it'll likely retain most of its value. From someone who loves the playability and tone from the EBMM basses, the production quality translates to their guitars for sure \m/

I hear ya, and yeah, they do sound great through an SVT-3 Pro. I use a GK-1001RB and Stingrays sounds great through it as well. I now prefer the EBMM Stingray "sweet spot" humbucker location and 3 EQ active electronics on custom basses now. In fact, I'm having orpheo build me a carved top singlecut LP bass using that setup from Nordstrand. It should be ready around December or January if all goes well

I am sure I would love an EBMM guitar if I played it. Maybe I will have to check one out someday. I do not mind CNC precision on guitars, but obviously well-crafted handmade instruments are extremely special. The orpheo LP bass will be my first handmade instrument. I have played many that I love, but this will be my first in my own collection. I look forward to it very much. However, I do not mind my CNC Warmoth Regals at all. Those guitars are legit, SS frets, the neck profile I prefer, different woods to play around with, etc.

Anyway, I will stop to play an EBMM guitar the next time I see one for sure.
                              Last edited by Snake Aces; 07-30-2020, 02:14 AM.
                              Soundcloud

Comment

See if you can find an Ibanez ATk. Its an Ibanez clone of the stingray. Same tone for less.

Comment

Working...
                                X