• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ehdwuld View Post

so I was hip enough to be right in Post #4
    Sweet

Now for Goob's incoming apology
    It’s more than a rebranding. It’s a totally different product. So, no, they aren’t the same thing. The only thing similar is the shapes.

Comment

I've seen some guys who like the old OLP stuff, but every one I've ever touched was absolute garbage. On par with the Rogues of the era. In EBMMs defense, they had NOTHING to do with them. They just licensed their shapes to a company that proceeded to, imo, do some damage to the brand through association.

The Sterlings are still officially a separate company, but somehow a bit closer related. I don't totally get it. But they're very well built and tend to punch above their price.
      ---------------------------
      The most popular thread I've ever made was 1) a joke and 2) based around literally the most inane/mundane question I could think of. That says something about me, or all of you, or both.

https://forum.seymourduncan.com/show...or-for-a-Strat

Comment

The Sterlings are under the EB/MM brand- but they can get pricey, at just under $1k. All made offshore.
        Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

It's interesting how separate they keep things. If you ask a Sterling question on the EBMM forums, you'll sometimes get EBMM people replying just to say "No idea. It's a different company and we don't consult with each other on stuff."

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
          The Sterlings are under the EB/MM brand- but they can get pricey, at just under $1k. All made offshore.
          The most popular thread I've ever made was 1) a joke and 2) based around literally the most inane/mundane question I could think of. That says something about me, or all of you, or both.

Comment

Originally posted by St_Genesius View Post
            It's interesting how separate they keep things. If you ask a Sterling question on the EBMM forums, you'll sometimes get EBMM people replying just to say "No idea. It's a different company and we don't consult with each other on stuff."

I think they do that on the front end to keep the exclusivity up. I would think Fender would do that with Squier, too.

Comment

Maybe so. I suppose without a Fender forum, we'll never know. I feel like I've seen FMIC reps show up on Youtube channels showing off stuff from multiple brands, but I could certainly be misremembering.

I think they do that on the front end to keep the exclusivity up. I would think Fender would do that with Squier, too.

Comment

At least Fender openly hosts Squier on the Fender website. Even a Google search takes you to Fender.

Sidenote: I got one of those Bronze Warlocks from a forum bro many years ago. Sounds and plays nice. I haven't even changed the pups yet because they sound decent.

Comment

Some Sterling axes are fine, others aren't. It's an affordable-ish option. My opinion on this kind of inquiry though, which keeps getting confirmed through my own experiences, is that it's best to assess an individual instrument with your own eyes/hands/ears rather than apply blanket generalities to entire lines with the intention of ordering online or making recommendations to less experienced gear-assessors and hoping it's every bit as good as the internet groupthink promised.
                  Originally posted by crusty philtrum
                  Anyone who *sings* at me through their teeth deserves to have a bus drive through their face
                  http://www.youtube.com/alexiansounds

Comment

Our local GC has the Sterling St. Vincent in Vincent Blue, on the rack. It feels good and looks killer. I just can't justify another guitar at this time.

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo View Post
                      Our local GC has the Sterling St. Vincent in Vincent Blue, on the rack. It feels good and looks killer. I just can't justify another guitar at this time.

https://www.guitarcenter.com/Sterlin...rling&index=11
                      One of my students bought one a month ago, and I have played it several times. It is a seriously great guitar, if you dig the shape.

Comment

One of my students bought one a month ago, and I have played it several times. It is a seriously great guitar, if you dig the shape.
                        Thanks for throwing GAS on my fire.

Comment

One of my long time jazz clients emailed me just this morning about the St. Vincent.... He gigs a lot with jazz boxes, but likes almost anything for rock gigs.
                          aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Comment

Originally posted by St_Genesius View Post

Owner of two Sterlings. My first one was a 2013 JP70, which I ended up giving to my son. When I first got the guitar, I went to the forums, and got great support from the man himself. He even sent me a Sterling t shirt and a bunch of Sterling stickers. Pretty cool to see Sterling Ball so active on the forums. But that was over 5 years ago and I went quite inactive on that forum.
                            The only thing I would’ve changed were the pickups. But other than that, this is a hell of a guitar for $550.

A few weeks ago I bought this one used. 2018 Majesty. This one retails right at $1000, and worth every penny. That’s why I couldn’t pass it up for $600. This guitar is even more refined than the JP70. The pickups even seem better, and the 12db boost really gives you that extra drive when you need it. The neck is set, but is as smooth as a neck-through. The fretwork is right there with other USA made instruments. As polarizing the Majesty design is, she truly is a beauty in person. And she plays amazing. My current number one guitar.

They’re great guitars, even if they creep into the four digits, especially if you go with Dimarzio equipped ones. But worth it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Both are gorgeous!
                              aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Comment

Sterlings are still about 1/3rd the prices of the USA models. That is a great deal, but still pretty pricey. That being said, I need to look at some of their newer models to see if any of them are close to what I want.

Comment

Working...
                                X