Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ICTGoober View Post
    Both are gorgeous!
    Thanks! Even after a few weeks, I still take a second to look at it.
    Originally posted by Mincer View Post
    Sterlings are still about 1/3rd the prices of the USA models. That is a great deal, but still pretty pricey. That being said, I need to look at some of their newer models to see if any of them are close to what I want.
    Yeah, they can be pricey, but they start at downright cheap if you go for the SUB series. A decent non SUB Cutlass starts at around $500. The JP series 6 or 7 string start at around $550. Once you start digging into fancier finishes and Dimarzio pickups, they start to creep well into the $1000+ mark.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I've been kinda eyeing the Sterling version of the Valentine- now that they've added roasted necks, I find them VERY appealing for $650-700.

For my intended use, I wish it had the Silent Circuit, but that's nothing I couldn't fix by swapping in a regular humbucker.
      ---------------------------
      The most popular thread I've ever made was 1) a joke and 2) based around literally the most inane/mundane question I could think of. That says something about me, or all of you, or both.

https://forum.seymourduncan.com/show...or-for-a-Strat

Comment

The die has been cast.... Looks good on the kid (he's 15).

aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Comment

Those Sterling basses are about the best deal in sub$1k basses these days, provided you dig the MM sound.
          Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

provided you dig the MM sound.
            Define that for us, would you? I've owned 2 Music Man basses, and with their active tone controls I could basically get almost any usable sounds.

Comment

Define that for us, would you? I've owned 2 Music Man basses, and with their active tone controls I could basically get almost any usable sounds.
              Everything Tony Levin has recorded. It is distinctly different than a P or J sound. Sort of a huge bottom and well-defined top (a clicky attack) with not a lot of mids. It is a great sound, but not like a Fender. I'm not a bass player, so I am terrible at describing it. Some bassists hate that sound, but I really like it.

Comment

Tony Levin has a great tone - I love it. I bet some of his outboard gear has something to do with it, but it starts with a great bass. I like active circuits for bass - not for guitar.

Comment

I've been 3 feet from Tony and watched him pick up his Stingray into a SS combo amp and that tone is right there. Live, he uses a Kemper to get his tones, but I bet his signal chain isn't complicated. Honestly, I am amazed that Stingrays aren't more popular with bassists. They tend to be a bassists 3rd or 4th bass, not their main one, which is a shame.

Comment

Tony Levin has a great tone - I love it. I bet some of his outboard gear has something to do with it, but it starts with a great bass. I like active circuits for bass - not for guitar.
                    Hahaha. That's me too.

I love StingRay basses. Cliff Williams has been using one for years. A lot of funk players around here use them. I played in a band with a guy that has a 5-string StringRay. It's my favorite bass next to the Precision.

My SUB Ray4 may be a cheap version but it is a damn good cheap version. While the stock pickup is good, I wanted to swap it and glad I put the SMB-4A in it. One thing I did not realize is that the pickup in StingRays is wired in parallel. That definitely contributes to their unique sound. Many models have switches to go between series/split/parallel but the bare bones StingRay is wired parallel.
                    Last edited by ErikH; 06-06-2021, 12:38 PM.

Comment

I like Stingrays (and that new Snowy Night finish has been calling my damn name) but I feel like a lot of the flexibility of an active EQ is lost on me, as I tend to do the exact same thing on every bass: switch to the pickup nearest the neck and roll the tone all the way off.
                      ---------------------------
                      The most popular thread I've ever made was 1) a joke and 2) based around literally the most inane/mundane question I could think of. That says something about me, or all of you, or both.

https://forum.seymourduncan.com/show...or-for-a-Strat

Comment

I just ordered one of these. They are on clearance at Musicians Friend, and I figured for 1/4 of the price of an actual Music Man Stingray, why not? I watched about 10 videos last night, and I really couldn't tell that much of a difference in sound between the Sterling and a real Music Man. I damn sure couldn't tell an $1800 difference in sound.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Sterling Ray34 Ash Roasted Maple.png
Views:	146
Size:	114.3 KB
ID:	6085986

Comment

My nephew has sent videos of the kid playing. He's gotten pretty good, and the bass sounds great to me. Should last him a long time.

Comment

Working...
                          X