banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Saying a LP is too heavy is like saying a Ferrari is too fast ...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I think the blanket statements brought out the 'complaining lightweights'.
    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

• Originally posted by Mincer View Post
      I think the blanket statements brought out the 'complaining lightweights'.
      That was actually pretty funny.

Comment

• Well ive had Traditional WR & the Modern WR which were really good guitars, but the non WR Custom Shop 68' LPC i have now blows them all away.
        There are plenty of 8 to 9lb LP around.
        Hell i had a Strat that was almost 10 pounds.
        Mandating some arbitruary weight standards isnt really what a good guitar is all about but i will say a good LP for me should at least be in the 9lb range.
        A good 3 to 3.5 inch strap will help distribute the weight on your shoulder.
        I doubt Bonamassa ever turned down buying a 50's or 60's era Les Paul because it had no WR.

Comment

• i did like the semi hollow LPs in the early 2000s.
          Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

• My Tribute has the ultramodern weight relief, it's light (for a Les Paul), but it sounds better than any guitar I've owned.

But I haven't owned a CS Les Paul either.

What's the weight like on the old 50's LP's? It's my understanding those used to be lighter than the Norlins because the wood they were using back then was better quality?
            Last edited by Rex_Rocker; 09-11-2023, 02:03 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rex_Rocker View Post
              My Tribute has the ultramodern weight relief, it's light (for a Les Paul), but it sounds better than any guitar I've owned.

But I haven't owned a CS Les Paul either.

What's the weight like on the old 50's LP's? It's my understanding those used to be lighter than the Norlins because the wood they were using back then was better quality?
              Some of the early original 58 & 59 Bursts were between 8 & 9 lbs of Honduran Mahogany.
              TBH i don't ever see any 13 lb Norlins floating around. I know they exist but i never see them.
              Most Norlins i see ever so often are beat to sh*t with neck breaks and that kind of thing.
              Last edited by JMP/HBE; 09-11-2023, 02:13 PM.

Comment

• Yeah, I'm reading the average is 8.5 pounds for the old ones.

Lots of iconic music was recorded on Norlins, but by the time I started playing guitar, LPC's with headstocks shaped like yours were around, so I always associate Norlins with being misshapen, LOL. Plus not sure I'd dig the low frets.

I could care less about how much a guitar weights. If it weights a ton but sounds killer, I can man up and play it. If it weights nothing, but sounds killer, I see no problem either. But yeah, I mean, Les Pauls are fat and bulky. They tend to be heavy, kinda makes sense.

Comment

Working...
                X