Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Even at $255, it seems expensive, but I guess you have to pay the machine off.
    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by esandes View Post

do you own plek'd and non-plek'd guitars? if you don't own any plek'd guitars how would you know?
      Because I'm smarter than you.

Are you even serious?! Or are you that naive?!
      Originally Posted by IanBallard
      Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
        Even at $255, it seems expensive, but I guess you have to pay the machine off.
        That's exactly right.
        Yes it saves time, not because it is fast but because the tech can do other things while the plek machine is working.

Comment

I see it as a value added service with no drawbacks. the arguement about the PLEK operator not doing it right is ridiculous.

Then you are indeed naive!

ok I get it, you repair lots. your war stories are anecdotes that do not represent the vast majority. yet you have a sheepish following here.

I wouldn't say Goober has a "following" here. And if you are referring to me, all I can do is laugh. I'm actually one of his greatest critics. But it just so happens that in this case Goober is correct. And as much as I disagree with him a lot on this forum, when someone is right, they are right. I don't disagree with truth. And Goober needs respect for when he is right, and at least for speaking his mind when he isn't!

Comment

Originally posted by donaldr View Post
            Don't know other Gibson models but only the nut was plek'd on my 2014 Les Paul LPJ USA.
            That's silly. Are you sure about that?!
            What a waste of time to set up a plek machine to do just a nut! It kinda defeats the purpose of the machine. That would be like hiring MJ just to solder a hot wire to the output jack.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarDoc View Post

That's exactly right.
              Yes it saves time, not because it is fast but because the tech can do other things while the plek machine is working.
              How long does it take to do one guitar?
              Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarStv View Post

Yep, that's about it.

It's like doing construction with hand tools vs power tools. An idiot will drill a hole poorly with a hand cranked drill bit . . . or drill a hole poorly with a handheld battery operated drill. A skilled craftsman can drill a perfect hole with either, but the battery operated drill will increase his productivity massively.

An idiot operating a Plek machine isn't going to to a significantly better setup than an idiot without one. A skilled person doing a hand setup can make a perfect playing guitar . . . but the same dude operating a Plek machine should be able to create that perfect playing guitar in way less time.
                That it SOOO right on!!!!

Comment

That's silly. Are you sure about that?!
                  What a waste of time to set up a plek machine to do just a nut! It kinda defeats the purpose of the machine. That would be like hiring MJ just to solder a hot wire to the output jack.
                  From (part of) product description:
                  The mahogany back is strategically weight relieved to improve comfort and enhance resonance. A neck made from hard-wearing maple is glued into the body, and carved to our popular rounded 50s profile that measures .818 at the 1st fret and .963 at the 12th. It is topped with a genuine rosewood fingerboard that carries 22 medium-jumbo frets and traditional trapezoid inlays. Theres no pickguard or fingerboard binding to clutter the straight-on, stripped-down look of the LPJ, while quality touches continue with a PLEK-cut nut made from black Corian to subtly echo the black speed knobs and black pickup rings and covers. The traditional back-angled headstock is silkscreened with a gold Gibson logo that stands out clear and proud.

No mention of full PLEK anywhere else in the full description.

Comment

Good blogs about the PLEK process:
                    Whatever your playing abilities are, if you are serious about your playing it is worth asking yourself the question: Is my instrument as good as it could be? And if the answer to that question is not a resounding yes, then the Plek Station might be able to help.

The PLEK Station is a specialized robot that creates a high-resolution digital scan of a guitars fingerboard and performs fully automated fretwork. The machine collects data about the playing surface, recommends fret adjustments for optimal performance, then cuts the frets with perfect precision.

Video taken from the first article:
                    Ken Lajoie, Guitar Department Supervisor at Yorkville Sound, gives an in-depth demonstration of their new Plek Station. To better service our customers, and...
                    Last edited by donaldr; 02-08-2024, 06:33 PM.

Comment

As others have said, even a perfect plek job still requires a setup. Almost all acoustics with non-adjustable bridges come from the factory with the action too high. Why? Because if the costumer wants lower action they can file it down, but it's harder to raise the action. Plek doesn't mean your pickups will be set at the right height, or your instrument will be perfectly set up for your string guage, or even that the guitar won't settle after the adjustments.
                      You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
                      Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

Because I'm smarter than you.

Are you even serious?! Or are you that naive?!
                        wow.

you lost all credibility. you have no clue. do you even play? in all of your 76 years you've never owned a plek guitar but you know SO MUCH about them.

off to my ignore list you ignorant boomer.
                        Last edited by esandes; 02-18-2024, 09:00 PM.

Comment

Working...
                        X