Klon centaur?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Klon centaur?

Jeff Beck uses a Centaur I believe. One of the few pedals he actually bothers to use.

I'm going to be very frank about my opinion of this pedal, despite having never played one or seen it in person.

If I can go buy a brand new finely crafted mid/high level instrument or amp for the price of this "pedal" (an OVERDRIVE PEDAL nonetheless), then that is some ****ing malarkey.

I'm sure it's the greatest overdrive ever made but it's a goddamn accessory; a smaller variable in the scheme of things. Excessory is more like it.

Comment

bill never charged any where near that price, its what fools pay in the market place for used ones

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
        bill never charged any where near that price, its what fools pay in the market place for used ones
        Not blaming the creator at all. The same thing happened with those accursed Blackmachine guitars.

Comment

Originally posted by Falloffthebonetone View Post
          Not blaming the creator at all. The same thing happened with those accursed Blackmachine guitars.
          Oh, I forgot about those.

Sent from my VK810 4G using Tapatalk
          Nope...

Comment

Originally posted by Falloffthebonetone View Post
            I've never heard of those.
            Schecter ATX Blackjack C7 BKP Painkiller (B) and Abraxas (N)
            Hagstrom Hj800 Jazzbox stock pickups
            Fender Jazz Bass EMG MJ Set
            Music Man SUB Ray5 stock pickups
            Line 6 Helix
            Dunlop Strings and Picks

The opinions expressed above are my own and do not reflect normal levels of sanity.

Comment

Originally posted by the guy who invented fire View Post
              I am in the minority here but I think that the Klon is over hyped to say the least.
              Hey - I'm with you on this! Got your back man.

There are solo many different dirt pedals, and flavors of it available for less than one bill you'd have to be an idiot to pay that much for it.

That said - if it is YOUR high hola kabala of tone, well, then it is. I could buy three or four hellacious boxes for the price of one though….
              Originally posted by Bad City
              He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Never been too curious to spend ridiculous amounts on an overdrive. Either I am blissfully unaware of amazing tonal goodness that I am wilfully ignoring, or maybe I am missing something. If I was looking to spend a massive amount on a rig though, I would rather put it towards a nice amp, cab or guitar.

That said, by coincidence by way of how my band is going I am curious about trying out a more 'transparent overdrive' as they are often labelled. Something with excellent dynamics. That said, I am more thinking about a soulfood, perhaps stretching to an archer or any other overdrive of the sort if I end up liking them.

Comment

If you buy an original 1959 sunburst les paul standard, a dumble and an original klon, you will become a much better guitarist.
                  You will be to play all the licks of all the greats, you will know all the songs. You will improvise with amazing flair, creativity and polish, but with just the right amount of originality, individuality and emotional expression in all keys, through all chord progressions and across all styles of music. Not only that but you will also become a great songwriter, composer and arranger.
                  That is why there are so many businessmen, lawyers and guitar collectors who are setting the world of music alight with their musical ideas.
                  It's all about who has the most expensive gear.
                  "Technique is really the elimination of the unneccessary ... it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to acheive the smooth flow of energy and intent"
                  Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

I'd put a true EP3 preamp up against a Klon dude-horse any day of the week.

Comment

Originally posted by LLL View Post
                      I'd put a true EP3 preamp up against a Klon dude-horse any day of the week.
                      Not surprisingly, you just listed two of the only pedals that have appreciated in price to a ridiculous degree. The Echoplex and the Klon Centaur. It's funny to think which collectibles rise faster than all others. Those are two.
                      Originally posted by Boogie Bill
                      I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
                        Just because someone is rich doesn't mean he's a fool. Low supply and high demand make the richest buyers scoop up the product while everything the others can afford is watch and comment on the price insanity.

Comment

Originally posted by Gearjoneser View Post
                          Not surprisingly, you just listed two of the only pedals that have appreciated in price to a ridiculous degree. The Echoplex and the Klon Centaur. It's funny to think which collectibles rise faster than all others. Those are two.
                          You can get a true EP3 preamp (e.g. based off the TIS58 running at 24 volts) for $85-$200.

Comment

Originally posted by vinta9e View Post
                            Just because someone is rich doesn't mean he's a fool. Low supply and high demand make the richest buyers scoop up the product while everything the others can afford is watch and comment on the price insanity.
                            I could see justifying the price, in that I could sell it for what I bought it, but there's a chance that the Klon's reputation as a killer 90's era pedal might cause it's value to drop if buyers that are nostalgic for 90's alt rock hang up their guitars.

Comment

Luckily, the 90's was the only decade that focused so much on quality that it'll play out like the 50's and 60's, in terms of collectible gear. Everything like PRS, Matchless, early Bogner, Soldano, Fulltone, Dr. Z, Fender Custom Shop, Gibson Historic......it's all going to be timeless and valuable well into the future.

At this level, we're not talking about clones are better than originals as player gear It's all about certain pieces that are sure to be highly sought after in future decades. No matter what anyone thinks about Klon Centaurs, it's one of those rare gems.

The only real hiccup in collectible gear may be studio rack gear that really should be destined for collectibility, but may not be, simply because the future of recording is in software.
                              Originally posted by Boogie Bill
                              I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

So long as the rack gear is analog, it will have a snob appeal that will outlive the solar system.

Comment

Working...
                                X