Recommend me a smooth OD pedal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Recommend me a smooth OD pedal

Reverend Drivetrain II is a smooth sounding OD.

Comment

Hey, I recorded a thing for ya. A playlist of Stage 3 boost and Zenith Drive played into a Line 6 POD HD/ Fender Deluxe sound with some room reverb.
      Played on my newish Epi SG with turd pickups, no setup and old strings that have been sitting around on the east coast. But it's pretty to look at...

Listen to a bad guitarist, a DIY boost and a DIY dirt pedal. meh by Jon Rogers 7 #np on #SoundCloud
      Originally posted by Funkfingers
      Music is for life. Without parole.

Comment

The Mad Professor Royal Blue Overdrive will work perfect for what you want to do

When asking for pickup suggestions please tell us what amp you`re using

Comment

christ, maxing out on the volumes. Sorry I'll have to turn the pod down a bit. Soundcloud record button (shrug) I'll take another whack at it later when I have time again. Right now it's back to the childrearing. Got a whole 30 minutes there!
          Originally posted by Funkfingers
          Music is for life. Without parole.

Comment

Another vote for the Mad Professor Sweet Honey or it's Chinese copy, the JOYO Sweet Baby (@ a mere $42). These will do what I interpret you're looking for. Don't overlook the JOYO because it's so inexpensive. It is quite good.

Comment

Originally posted by CTN View Post
              thanks for all the recos guys.

So far, I'm digging what I'm hearing from the Zendrive/Zenith drive, the Barber Direct Drive, and the Xotic AC booster. Also piquing my interest are the Xotic SL drive, the Suhr Shiba Drive ReLoaded, and Wampler Euphoria/Ecstasy. Anyone have any thoughts on those?

The Timmy, while I can see why it's so desirable, not sure if that's for me. Seems almost like it'd be too transparent and too fuzzy. Seen a bunch of demos of it and I'm just not liking the sounds coming out of it.

I like the sounds coming out of that Horus overdrive more than the Timmy, but too much top end sparkle. I want something that'll smooth off the treble and be rich and creamy.

The SHO... I dig what it does, but same sorta deal as the Horus - I need smooth,warm, rich, not fat and sparkly.
              Zendrive is silky but, tends to tame down your attack, as if you were plugged to an old amp with a saggy rectifier tube.
              Wampler Euphoria, in its smooth setting, sound somewhat the Zendrive but, not killing the attack that much but, the distortion grain is bigger, not so delicate as the Zendrive.
              The Suhr Shiba Drive Reloaded is a great Tube Screamer alike OD, sounds killer but, I wouldn't categorize it as smooth, warm, rich and sparkly.
              Xotic SL Drive is more a take of a Marshall 1959 Super Lead cooked. Not subtile, just nails that sound.

Mad Professor Sweet Honey fits your description.
              Also, the Jetter Gold 45/100 (which I love!). I would highly recommend this one.
              Wampler 57 Tweed can also be in that ballpark.

But, maybe you need a nice Booster with a touch of magic, as the Xotic EP Booster or any other take of the EchoPlex pre-amp system.
              I'm waiting for a Trilogy, that I hope will do such a job.
              My blog: http://hermeticoguitar.blogspot.com
              My Youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/hermeticoguitar

Comment

American Woman pedal.

Bill
                When you've had budget guitars for a number of years, you may find that your old instrument is holding you back. A quality guitar can inspire you to write great songs, improve your understanding of the Gdim chord while in the Lydian Mode, cure the heartbreak of cystic acne--and help you find true love in the process.

Comment

Originally posted by CTN View Post
                  Artie - I'm not really looking for a clean boost. I'm looking for an OD that I can use sorta like a boost. Thing is I'm stupid and don't rely entirely on my amp for gain, nor do I get all my dirt from pedals. I have my rig set up so that I can dial a whole bunch of "gain stages" to ramp up from pristine clean to over the top mega distortion. on my pedal board I have right now a modded Boss EQ which I use as a clean boost, and my OCD which I use as a gain stage that adds just a bit of gain and some focus in the mids. I can mix those two with the clean/drive/lead channels on my amp for a pretty large palette of drive sounds from my rig as a whole. Most of the time I just leave the EQ on though, and the OCD's switch gets a lot of use. Anyway I want to add another OD alongside the OCD because I don't like the way that the OCD grits up the lead channel on my amp. I've played around with the settings on the OCD ad nauseum, but it's fuzzy character still comes through even when it's set to really low gain levels.

What I basically want to do is have the EQ on all the time. Have this incoming new OD pedal on most of the time (because I don't use pristine cleans all that often) for just a touch of creamy drive (I prefer my amp's lead channel with the gain turned down a bit and then boosted with an OD as opposed to turning up the amp gain - there's better articulation that way...the amp tends to get a bit mushy with the gain knob too far up), and then use the OCD only as a mid+drive boost for leads, while using my amp's channels to set overall level of gain. That way, I figure I can get smooth distortion for my high gain rhythm sounds, and with the OCD used for leads, the grittiness/fuzziness doesn't matter so much.
                  Exactly this is what I am doing myself.
                  I am using a Decibel+ at the beginning of the chain for two reasons: because of the buffer and, because the booster section allows me to feed the chain with "enough electrons", depending on which axe I am playing.

Then, my first gain pedal is the Jetter Gold 45/100, which corresponds to that description of a sweet overdrive, warm, rich, very amp like. It's a tone shaper, when I want to give to the overall sound a vintage touch. I've liked the Mad Professor Sweet Honey and the Wampler Euphoria (smooth mode) in this position, also.

Next gain pedal is the dual-overdrive Jetter Jetdrive, I can use one of the channels for crunch (green) and, then stack the other channel (blue) for a mid gain distortion that feels and sounds as a great amp. Stacking the Gold before, gives that vintage touch and, it's awesome. I've used several combinations of overdrives in the past for this position but, I am feeling at home with the Jetdrive.

My third pedal will be a hi-gain distortion, but, I 'm still deciding which one. The Jetdrive already covers high-distortion, with both channels stacked but, I am looking for a disto type mesa-boogie, soldano, diezel and alike. Still on the market.
                  My blog: http://hermeticoguitar.blogspot.com
                  My Youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/hermeticoguitar

Comment

You might want to give an EQ after your OCD a try. It might just need a little tweaking of the upper mids to sound exactly the way that you want.
                    Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
                    This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

I've determined that regardless of what you think you want or know about pedlz, you really want a Klone, Ryan. So I've found something that fits both your budget (quite handily at that at under $160 including shipping to north frenchieland) and your personality.

Custom neck-thru strat
                      1989 MIJ 1962 RI Strat
                      1995 PRS CE24
                      D'avanzo #8
                      Breedlove Solo Concert
                      1996 USA Dean Baby Z
                      1991 40th Anniversary Les Paul
                      1968 Fender Bassman, Egnater SW45, Mesa Mark IIB Coliseum, Mesa ElectraDyne 1x12 Combo, Avatar 4x12, Mesa half back 4x12 Earcandy 2x12
                      Roland RE-201 Space Echo, 70's Fender Reverb Unit

Comment

If you're open to the "Made in Thailand" tag (and make no mistake...these are quality pedals)....

Most awesome sounding OD I've ever laid my hands on. Smooth & warm as ****. This guy makes the best-sounding pedals in the universe (to my ears...)

....& they don't break the bank either

With a LP...

With a Strat...

...& the "mod" version that's apparently voiced even warmer...

"Less is less, more is more...how can less be more?" ~Yngwie J Malmsteen

I did it my way ~ Frank Sinatra

Originally posted by Rodney Gene
                        If you let your tone speak for itself you'll find alot less people join the conversation.

Youtube

Comment

hmmmmm I've been listening to so many clips of dudes playing OD pedals I got a bit of ear fatigue yesterday.

But I did kinda narrow down what I liked from all the pedals I heard. I think my top three picks at the moment are the Mad Professor Royal Blue, and the Barber Gain Changer (which is based on several versions of the LTD) and the Xotic AC booster.

Jordan, I dunno man, I want to like the rawkworks but it's sounding too trebley to my ears. maybe you're just spoiled by your bassman and aren't hearing that trebley stuff. As for the kloned balls - It might fit my personality, but it ain't gonna fit on my pedalboard!

why are there so many pedal companies? this is difficult.

Comment

Well, from your responses and initial description of what you are looking for.... I only have one recommendation but if purchased directly, is right at the edge of your budget, and I never see these up for sale on the boards. ANYWAY, take a listen and look at the JHS Morning Glory.http://www.jhspedals.com/products/gu...morning-glory/
                            Click image for larger version

Name:	JHS-Pedals-Morning-Glory-top.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	111.7 KB
ID:	5776980
                            I have even seen these used on Acoustic boards just as a boost.

So many choices!!!

Brad
                            Last edited by briggleman; 04-13-2014, 08:49 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by briggleman View Post
                              Well, from your responses and initial description of what you are looking for.... I only have one recommendation but if purchased directly, is right at the edge of your budget, and I never see these up for sale on the boards. ANYWAY, take a listen and look at the JHS Morning Glory.http://www.jhspedals.com/products/gu...morning-glory/
                              [ATTACH=CONFIG]53019[/ATTACH]
                              I have even seen these used on Acoustic boards just as a boost.

So many choices!!!

Brad
                              That does sound good - would be interesting to hear a demo in combination with something else.
                              Warmoth Group @ Flickr : SDUGF group @ SoundCloud : Basic Guitar Setup

Blog @ Izdihar.com : Pics @ Flickr

I dream of a better world, where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned

Comment

Maybe an Earthquaker Devices Crimson Drive?

Gibson SG Standard with Seth Lover neck/bridge hybrid with A3 in neck & Brobucker with A3 in bridge
                                -> Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 -> Reaper -> Helix Native -> Celestion IRs -> Yamaha HPH-MT8

Less is more

Comment

Working...
                                X