banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Has Anyone Ever Tried This?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Has Anyone Ever Tried This?

    By "this" I actually mean two things...

    In my band, the other guitarist and I like to wander out into the crowd sometimes when we're not needed for backup vocals... and many times we trade leads back and forth. I generally use one of a couple different boosts when soloing to cut through the mix, but (of course) I can't take the pedals with me onto the dance floor...

    ...or can I?

    I had this idea of putting a boost on my belt... making a small pager-sized "pedal" that I could take with me. I was thinking about using one of these (http://guitarelectronics.com/seymour...oster-circuit/) with an extra input and replacing the mini-toggle with a latching push-button. It would sit right next to my wireless unit and be in easy reach to just tap it on or off when I want it without having to be near my pedals or the stage.

    Has anybody tried a) this idea, or b) this particular unit? Any thoughts?

    Edit: the link above no longer seems to work. I looked around the GuitarElectronics site and the Seymour Duncan Pickup Booster Circuit is no longer listed... makes me wonder if I bought the last one! The paperwork also calls it a "Fire Storm Circuit" and the description said that it was the same circuit found in the SD Pickup Booster pedal without the resonance switch.
    BriGuy1968
    Mojo's Minions
    Last edited by BriGuy1968; 04-02-2017, 08:56 AM.
    Originally posted by The Commodores?
    "Chicken Brown Chicken Brown Cow"

  • #2
    Re: Has Anyone Ever Tried This?

    I did it once with an older wireless unit before the 900MHz ban. Developed some latency once I got about 30 feet out front, though. Haven't used a recent wireless.

    Have you looked into the EMG AferBurner/TurboBoost onboard thingy? I had the AfterBurner with a pair of HZ-3s (which are PAF voiced) and really like what it does at about 3, but anything above that is just noise. Of course that was with a pretty saturated ADA MP-1 tone already, and I haven't had a chance to try it through my amps yet (took it out of the guitar to put in a pedal housing, but still need to rig up a switch for it).

    But then I'm sure the SD pickup booster would work just as well. Or maybe the Blackouts Modular Preamp, if it boosts?

    Then there's the Amplitube iPhone app, if you have one of those things. Use that for your primary tone, or a base clean with switchable boost.
    Originally posted by Brown Note
    I'm soooooo jealous about the WR-1. It's the perfect guitar; fantastic to play, balances well even when seated and *great* reach for the upper frets. The sound is bright tight and very articulate. In summary it could only be more awesome if it had b00bs and was on fire!
    My Blog

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Has Anyone Ever Tried This?

      Or kick in the boost before leaving the stage, then ride your guitar's volume pot for rhythm/lead level.


      Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Has Anyone Ever Tried This?

        Just add one of these wonders to your guitar

        http://www.muzique.com/tech/module2.htm

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Has Anyone Ever Tried This?

          Originally posted by DrNewcenstein View Post
          I did it once with an older wireless unit before the 900MHz ban. Developed some latency once I got about 30 feet out front, though. Haven't used a recent wireless.

          Have you looked into the EMG AferBurner/TurboBoost onboard thingy? I had the AfterBurner with a pair of HZ-3s (which are PAF voiced) and really like what it does at about 3, but anything above that is just noise. Of course that was with a pretty saturated ADA MP-1 tone already, and I haven't had a chance to try it through my amps yet (took it out of the guitar to put in a pedal housing, but still need to rig up a switch for it).

          But then I'm sure the SD pickup booster would work just as well. Or maybe the Blackouts Modular Preamp, if it boosts?

          Then there's the Amplitube iPhone app, if you have one of those things. Use that for your primary tone, or a base clean with switchable boost.
          Originally posted by RogerMexiko View Post
          Just add one of these wonders to your guitar

          http://www.muzique.com/tech/module2.htm
          My wireless works pretty good without any noticeable latency, so I'm not too concerned about that. The belt-boost would be between the guitar and the wireless unit, essentially making the guitar louder going in... just as if it was an onboard effect.

          I'm actually going to try an onboard midrange boost in a build I'm working on right now. It's what got me started on the idea. The problem is that I like to rotate through my guitars for gigs, and only one of them would have the onboard boost. My thought was to have a way to use it on any guitar, as if it was a normal pedal in my rig, but to have it move with me so I wasn't tied to the stage.


          Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          Originally posted by The Commodores?
          "Chicken Brown Chicken Brown Cow"

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Has Anyone Ever Tried This?

            Originally posted by VinceT View Post
            Or kick in the boost before leaving the stage, then ride your guitar's volume pot for rhythm/lead level.


            Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
            I've been trying to do it that way with limited success. I'm one of those "volume-always-dimed" guys who can't seem to like the sound of my guitar when the signal gets weakened by having it on anything but 10.

            Also, I'm just plain clumsy as hell with the knob... can never seem to get it right! [emoji20][emoji33]

            So yes... this idea would be a "cheat!" [emoji12]


            Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
            Originally posted by The Commodores?
            "Chicken Brown Chicken Brown Cow"

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Has Anyone Ever Tried This?

              Originally posted by BriGuy1968 View Post
              My wireless works pretty good without any noticeable latency, so I'm not too concerned about that. The belt-boost would be between the guitar and the wireless unit, essentially making the guitar louder going in... just as if it was an onboard effect.

              I'm actually going to try an onboard midrange boost in a build I'm working on right now. It's what got me started on the idea. The problem is that I like to rotate through my guitars for gigs, and only one of them would have the onboard boost. My thought was to have a way to use it on any guitar, as if it was a normal pedal in my rig, but to have it move with me so I wasn't tied to the stage.


              Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
              that AMZ mosfet booster is so small you could put it in a package a little larger tnan a 9V battery and clip it to your belt or even just have it as a plug in at you guitars output connector.

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Has Anyone Ever Tried This?

                Quite a few good ideas, I think the internal boost wired to a switch would be more convenient than another thing on your strap.

                Originally posted by BriGuy1968 View Post
                I've been trying to do it that way with limited success. I'm one of those "volume-always-dimed" guys who can't seem to like the sound of my guitar when the signal gets weakened by having it on anything but 10.

                Also, I'm just plain clumsy as hell with the knob... can never seem to get it right! [emoji20][emoji33]

                So yes... this idea would be a "cheat!"
                This is a major philosophical difference for setting up your amp and signal chain, but if your set your amp louder with a hotter/boosted input, your guitar at 8 is your rhythm and your guitar at 10 is the boosted lead.

                That being said, this works awesome for me at home, but in the real heat of the moment I find myself knocking the volume and it's just easier to keep it at 10 and step on a pedal for "over the top".
                Oh no.....


                Oh Yeah!

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Has Anyone Ever Tried This?

                  I think an internal switch would be best, or tell the band to play quieter. Actually, I never leave the stage when I play...I know I would trip on something or hit someone in the head with my guitar neck.
                  Dave, Ambassador/Writer/Artist for Seymour Duncan

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: Has Anyone Ever Tried This?

                    Have you looked into this?

                    https://www.cbgitty.com/amplifiers-a...e-wired-leads/
                    -Greg

                    Guitars:
                    2016 Ibanez RG6003FM (JB/'59nJ)
                    2018 G&L Tribute Legacy (Hot Rails/stock/stock)
                    2019 Squier Affinity Telecaster HH (Esquire'd w/ JB)
                    Applause/Ovation AE28 Acoustic/Electric

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: Has Anyone Ever Tried This?

                      my concern would be headroom of the wireless. if you have hot pups then slam the signal with a strong boost you may overload the preamp on the radio pack. i havent used a wireless in years so i dont know how the current ones stand up.

                      how does the other guitarist deal with this?

                      ive found in a good mix you dont really need much if any boost to stand out if you play dynamically

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: Has Anyone Ever Tried This?

                        Originally posted by BriGuy1968 View Post
                        By "this" I actually mean two things...

                        In my band, the other guitarist and I like to wander out into the crowd sometimes when we're not needed for backup vocals... and many times we trade leads back and forth. I generally use one of a couple different boosts when soloing to cut through the mix, but (of course) I can't take the pedals with me onto the dance floor...

                        ...or can I?

                        I had this idea of putting a boost on my belt... making a small pager-sized "pedal" that I could take with me. I was thinking about using one of these (http://guitarelectronics.com/seymour...oster-circuit/) with an extra input and replacing the mini-toggle with a latching push-button. It would sit right next to my wireless unit and be in easy reach to just tap it on or off when I want it without having to be near my pedals or the stage.

                        Has anybody tried a) this idea, or b) this particular unit? Any thoughts?
                        I like this idea.

                        I used one of these things way back in the prehistoric ages of R&R. It plugged directly into the guitar and then you plugged your cable into it.It was a distortion booster. I used to use it more as a boost with the distortion set on minimum so it gave my sound a rough edge. It had a volume control on the boost/distortion side of it.
                        sigpic

                        - http://www.soundclick.com/bands/defa...?bandID=804435 -
                        - https://soundcloud.com/mr-ds-bigband/tracks -

                        Warning: May contain traces of NUTS

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: Has Anyone Ever Tried This?

                          Originally posted by jeremy View Post
                          my concern would be headroom of the wireless. if you have hot pups then slam the signal with a strong boost you may overload the preamp on the radio pack. i havent used a wireless in years so i dont know how the current ones stand up.
                          This was going to be my question, so thanks for asking it! If the radio pack/receiver have any form of limiting/buffering, boosting the signal at the guitar may do nothing to the volume in the chain.


                          Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: Has Anyone Ever Tried This?

                            Originally posted by VinceT View Post
                            This was going to be my question, so thanks for asking it! If the radio pack/receiver have any form of limiting/buffering, boosting the signal at the guitar may do nothing to the volume in the chain.


                            Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
                            I don't believe that mine has anything like that, but seems like a good idea to dig out the paperwork on it when I get home.


                            Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                            Originally posted by The Commodores?
                            "Chicken Brown Chicken Brown Cow"

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: Has Anyone Ever Tried This?

                              regardless of if there is limiting or not, you may hit the peak of clean headroom depending on how much signal is involved. id try it with a pedal you have currently before the wireless first and see how it works before you dive too far into it. might be fine, might not

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X