Boss SD-1 appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boss SD-1 appreciation

These used to be HUGE in the 80's, but in this day and age where people are boosting their high-gain amps with Tube Screamers, I find they don't pop up that often in people's boards. At least not as often as they did.

People used to use them with 800's all the time, but to me, it EXCELS at boosing a Rectifier. Peope ofen use a Maxon 808 with Rectifiers, but I find the SD-1 is much tighter and more aggressive, and it just adds back that clank and agression to the attack that neither Rectos nor 808's naturally have.

I get it, though. It is a bit much with some amps (like maybe 5150's) that are already tight and attacky themselves. But with rounder-sounding amps like Rectos, Oranges, and maybe some SLO's, they just make everything tighter and more aggressive without boosting as much stuffiness in the low mids as Tube Screamers.

They've also got more range in the tone and gain knobs (if you care about that), and can be had for dirt cheap, yet are solidly built. Downsided is yes, they've got a little let juice to the output. But if you're dropping it on top of a gainy amp, I don't think that's much of an issue.

What do you guys think?
    Last edited by Rex_Rocker; 02-26-2023, 04:25 PM.

I agree with you. It is tighter. Definitely nicer alternative to the tube screamer. I built one and picked up a 49th Anniversary during the presale. Not terribly expensive by any means.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

If you can ever snag any of the old vfe screamer models for an honest price I think you'd love it. Or the focus/standout boost.

I just had to snag a 40th sd-1 when they first were released. Looks cool in those "steeler" colors and sometimes it's just the right boost. SD-1 was my very first pedal back in 88. Should have kept it but it fell victim to my early days of stupidity.

Comment

Yeah, always wanted to try the Ice Sceam. Cool pedal.

I've owned three or four SD-1's. Nothing fancy. Not special edition, just modern ones before they made them SMD. Wouldn't mind trying one of the new SMD ones, TBH. But I always sell them thinking I might've found something better, and always end up regretting it.

People say how the older 80's ones are warmer, but honestly, if I reach out for an SD-1, the last thing I want is "warm". I still wouldn't mind giving one a try to see what the fuss is about.

I think I found my perfect SD-1, though. I own two MXR Wylde Overdrives. One has the switch inside to turn it into a GT-OD, the other is an older one that doesn't. I'd almost say they're 1:1 clones, excep they're a little bit tighter and more aggressive even. Subtle difference, though.
        Last edited by Rex_Rocker; 02-26-2023, 06:33 PM.

Comment

The SD-1s are all the same circuit (can't speak to the Waza). I like them better than TS's because of the asymmetrical clipping, and the don't have the big mid hump. Great pedal.

FWIW, the DS-1s changed drastically, the original ones were very different and warmer, unfortunately the chip they used went OOP so they came up with a totally new circuit, should have also change the name, or at least the number IMHO.

Comment

Originally posted by devastone View Post
            I like them better than TS's because of the asymmetrical clipping, and the don't have the big mid hump. Great pedal.
            I find they still kinda do. It's just boosting somewhere above the honk region of the mids a TS808 boosts ever so slightly. But compared to something like a BD-2 or other full-range overdrives, they are still pretty AM-radio-like.

But we all hear things differently.
            Last edited by Rex_Rocker; 02-27-2023, 11:41 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Rex_Rocker View Post
              Yeah, always wanted to try the Ice Scream. Cool pedal.
              I get it. Ice cream. Cool.

Comment

Originally posted by misterwhizzy View Post

I get it. Ice cream. Cool.
                If you guys can build pedals, or know someone, there’s some VFE circuit boards over at madbean.com. Not affiliated just passing it along.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

As much as I like the idea of such tweakability in a TS-style, I also kinda like the simplicity of an SD-1 or a TS808. Just plug in, set the gain to 0, the level to 10, and maybe play with the tone. If it doesn't work, try the next boost.

Part of the reason why I reach out for an SD-1 most of the time over my 805 as well. I love the 805, don't get me wrong, but there's two extra knobs that can just as easily break your tone if you're not careful.

Honeslty, I'd love to try an OD-1 because there is even less stuff to tweak, LOL.

Comment

The SD-1 into any amp is my goto tone. All I need is an SD-1 and I can make any amp work for me.

Past five years I've been using it with an Ironheart and it adds everything that amp needs.

Tube screamer sounds meh in comparison to me, and costs twice as much.

Last edited by Top-L; 02-27-2023, 03:28 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Top-L View Post
                      The SD-1 into any amp is my goto tone. All I need is an SD-1 and I can make any amp work for me.

Past five years I've been using it with an Ironheart and it adds everything that amp needs.

Tube screamer sounds meh in comparison to me, and costs twice as much.

Depends on the Tube Screamer too. The 808 costs like 3x, LOL.

I do like my TS808 a lot, though. Better than the OD808 that I used to have for sure. Sounds less clean and more middy. Less "transparent" overall. The way I picture a TS should sound. Honestly, into a 5150, it's that sound.

But the SD-1 is just as good (better on some applications) and costs like 60 dollars. Looks like they just raised the price. I remember it used to be like 40, no?
                      Last edited by Rex_Rocker; 02-27-2023, 05:05 PM.

Comment

My Mesa needs no "Tightening"

That said - I do use an SD1 'model' into my JCM800 'model' in my Pod Go. Does that count???
                        Originally posted by Bad City
                        He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Depends on what Mesa. No way I'd use an SD-1 in front of a Mark. A Recto? No way I wouldn't use one, LOL.

Comment

I love my original ZW-44 which I’m pretty sure is derived from the SD-1. My custom built “Cornhole” overdrive has a switch for two circuits which are a far cry from the stock versions but based on the GT-OD and ZW-44 circuits. The flatter response of the ZW circuit is the side I use the most. It’s a bit cleaner with less grind than the factory ZW and tightens things up without sucking out as much low end as most overdrives do.

With the LPB-1 boost and symmetrical, asymmetrical and diode bypass, it can do anything. If you trace back the lineage, it couldn’t exist without the SD-1.

I’ve never liked what tube screamers and its derivatives do to an amps sound. The mid bump always messes up what I liked about it in the first place.
                            The opinions expressed above do not necessarily represent those of the poster and are to be considered suspect at best.

Lead guitarist and vocalist of...

Keep up to date on our Facebook

Comment

I know I have mentioned this before. Evrery guitar player at Berkleee tries at some point to cop Steve Vai's tone seeing he is the most famous guitar alum. The music store across the street has piles of used DS1s. The last time I was in there, they were going for as low as $19 each. I am going to be down the street from there today if I have time, I just might grab one.

Comment

Working...
                              X