Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GuitarStv View Post
    Tubescreamer -> Bluesdriver -> clean amp sounds great. :P
    Or Tube Screamer - OCD. That works as well!

Comment

Originally posted by Rex_Rocker View Post
      Well, that would work I guess if you wanted a scooped sound out of an SD-1. But at least when using it as a boost to tighten things up, I don't see why you would, LOL.
      You can tweak the values to give either a midboost, midcut, or flat tone at noon.
      You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
      Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

Oh, really? Honestly, I've never really payed much attention to the Big Muff. I was under the impression that pedal was like midscooped to hell and back, which worked great for when I was using it on bass. But it's cool to know you can actually tweak it!

Comment

Yup, the entirety of the midscoop is from the fact that the tone control is just a bass cut and treble cut operating at the same time. Where the corner frequencies are now, at noon the bass control filters out bass and mids, and the treble control filters out treble and mids.

If you put a trim pot in for R16 (bass) and R17 (treble), you should be able to get just about any sound you want out of one. Those resistors are for a DS-1, but if you see how they fit into the circuit, you can translate to any Big Muff circuit or any other pedal that uses that style tone control.
          You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright

Comment

Is it normal for an SD-1 to have very little output? I had to take mine off my board, since I couldn't get it to unity gain with my (cough, 'several') other dirt pedals. That's using a power supply.

Larry

Comment

Yeah, sadly.

How little, though?

Because when using EMG?s you *barely* get unity gain cranking a TS's output, I find. With a Boss SD-1, yeah, it's slightly quieter.

With HOT pickups like the Black Winter or X2N, forget it.

But I find that's the nature of distortion and overdrive pedals designed way back. The DS-1 for me is a particularly bad example. Even a Metal Zone's output is relatively quiet by today's hot pickups standards.

Good thing is I never run an SD-1 in front of a clean channel to notice.

Comment

Yeah, sadly.

How little, though?

Because when using EMG?s you *barely* get unity gain cranking a TS's output, I find. With a Boss SD-1, yeah, it's slightly quieter.

With HOT pickups like the Black Winter or X2N, forget it.

But I find that's the nature of distortion and overdrive pedals designed way back. The DS-1 for me is a particularly bad example. Even a Metal Zone's output is relatively quiet by today's hot pickups standards.

Good thing is I never run an SD-1 in front of a clean channel to notice.
                Well, my TS clone, OD-1, Uzi, Riot clone and Splinter all put out so much more output that I had to pull the DS-1, since I couldn't get it to the 'unity' setting on my board. Wonder if it's jacked? Bought it new a couple years ago. Anyone know a way to test its output level?

Larry

Comment

Originally posted by larryguitar View Post

Well, my TS clone, OD-1, Uzi, Riot clone and Splinter all put out so much more output that I had to pull the DS-1, since I couldn't get it to the 'unity' setting on my board. Wonder if it's jacked? Bought it new a couple years ago. Anyone know a way to test its output level?

Larry
                  Do you mean DS-1 or SD-1?

Because the SD-1 is just a tad quieter than the TS. So I'm sure if you're using like non-blistering-hot metal humbuckers and picking like a sledgehammer 100% of the time, you'll be fine.

But yeah, the DS-1's output is famelic, IME.

Comment

Larry
                    You won't get any "technical" readings like output voltage, dBu's or anything like that, but you can compare them if you record them DI to your interface's instrument input. That's how I get an idea of pickups' output relative to each other. Because perceived levels can be tricky. Pretty sure you can do the same for pedals.

If you do that, prepare to be disappointed, though. You'll actually see that something like a Tube Screamer never actually "slams an amp's front end" like we're lead to believe, LOL

Comment

If you do that, prepare to be disappointed, though. You'll actually see that something like a Tube Screamer never actually "slams an amp's front end" like we're lead to believe, LOL
                      Explains why I never liked them. I don’t usually need a huge push. Even so, it’s method of “tightening up the sound” takes too much that I do like about the sound of the amp it’s in front of and adds too much that I don’t. Even as an overdrive, I find it too cloudy and thin.

I used to get so annoyed at the Premier Guitar “Monsters Of High Gain” videos where the point is to show off how the amp sounds, including amps designed to give that modern sound straight in and half the time, they feature guitar players who insist on using a TS in front every time, which defeats the purpose and raises the question why they won’t at least try to get the sound from a Fryette or Thrasher without a d@mn box in front??
                      The opinions expressed above do not necessarily represent those of the poster and are to be considered suspect at best.

Lead guitarist and vocalist of...

Keep up to date on our Facebook

Comment

Originally posted by Beer$ View Post
                        Explains why I never liked them. I don’t usually need a huge push. Even so, it’s method of “tightening up the sound” takes too much that I do like about the sound of the amp it’s in front of and adds too much that I don’t. Even as an overdrive, I find it too cloudy and thin.

I used to get so annoyed at the Premier Guitar “Monsters Of High Gain” videos where the point is to show off how the amp sounds, including amps designed to give that modern sound straight in and half the time, they feature guitar players who insist on using a TS in front every time, which defeats the purpose and raises the question why they won’t at least try to get the sound from a Fryette or Thrasher without a d@mn box in front??
                        It's amp-dependant, IMO.

I like a 5150III without one for sure.

But I wouldn't dream of using a Recto without one. For the stuff I play, at least. Or a JCM800. Or even an OG 5150.

JMO.

Comment

It's amp-dependant, IMO.

I like a 5150III without one for sure.

But I wouldn't dream of using a Recto without one. For the stuff I play, at least. Or a JCM800. Or even an OG 5150.

JMO.
                          I know. It’s a personal preference thing too. I just thought it was ridiculous to demo amps without really demoing the amps especially the kind know for their tightness, clarity and being built from the ground up to already get that sound.
                          Last edited by El Dunco; 03-06-2023, 11:18 AM.
                          The opinions expressed above do not necessarily represent those of the poster and are to be considered suspect at best.

Lead guitarist and vocalist of...

Keep up to date on our Facebook

Comment

Is it normal for an SD-1 to have very little output? I had to take mine off my board, since I couldn't get it to unity gain with my (cough, 'several') other dirt pedals. That's using a power supply.

Larry
                            What year is the pedal from? This can happen if you use a 9v supply with an older pedal designed for a 12v supply.

Comment

But yeah, the DS-1's output is famelic, IME.
                              I don't know what "famelic" means and if output is even a matter of opinion, but the DS-1 has a more than reasonable level of output, even when "clean" to do just about anything you'd want a distortion pedal to do.

Comment

Originally posted by Chistopher View Post

What year is the pedal from? This can happen if you use a 9v supply with an older pedal designed for a 12v supply.
                                I bought it new two years ago; is that a new one? I'd just assumed it was 9V, but have to admit I never checked...maybe I should RTFM, like my wife always says.

Larry

Comment

Working...
                                X