Solo Compression?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Inflames626 View Post
    Are multiband compressors/dynamic EQs becoming a thing in live hardware? I usually see them in software plugins and used on a master bus, but I didn't think a hardware compressor could be dialed in that precisely.
    Graphic EQs have been around for 40+ years. The MXR 10-band and the Boss GE-7 are a couple of the oldest. Compressors in a guitar setup live aren't usually multi-band but compressors like the Keeley Compressor Plus and even the MXR DynaComp are very popular.

Comment

Originally posted by ErikH View Post

Graphic EQs have been around for 40+ years. The MXR 10-band and the Boss GE-7 are a couple of the oldest. Compressors in a guitar setup live aren't usually multi-band but compressors like the Keeley Compressor Plus and even the MXR DynaComp are very popular.
      By dynamic EQs I meant an EQ that only is triggered on a specific frequency band and Q once a signal hits a certain threshold.

They seem popular in mastering over the last few years because many consider them to have a more transparent sound than a multiband compressor. That said, it would seem to ask a lot of a hardware/live EQ to do this because it would have to analyze signal transients very closely and react very quickly.

I haven't used my graphic EQ in ages because it lacks Q controls for precise notching. Parametrics seem more versatile. I used to have a fairly inexpensive Alesis parametric and compressor in my rack.

The only benefit I could see with a graphic is they are easier to use because you don't have to worry about fiddling with a Q. Having a narrow Q notched at a problematic low mid frequency, especially one that reacts in real time, would seem to be very useful.

Comment

Originally posted by Inflames626 View Post

By dynamic EQs I meant an EQ that only is triggered on a specific frequency band and Q once a signal hits a certain threshold.

They seem popular in mastering over the last few years because many consider them to have a more transparent sound than a multiband compressor. That said, it would seem to ask a lot of a hardware/live EQ to do this because it would have to analyze signal transients very closely and react very quickly.

I haven't used my graphic EQ in ages because it lacks Q controls for precise notching. Parametrics seem more versatile. I used to have a fairly inexpensive Alesis parametric and compressor in my rack.

The only benefit I could see with a graphic is they are easier to use because you don't have to worry about fiddling with a Q. Having a narrow Q notched at a problematic low mid frequency, especially one that reacts in real time, would seem to be very useful.
        In mastering sure, and maybe FOH live sound depending on the band. But in a guitarist rig, that would overkill. I don't think I've seen anyone's rig with anything beyond a graphic EQ, if they even use an EQ at all other than what is on the amp.

Comment

I use the graph eq to make me audible when needed, I play in pubs, where the biggest concern is being louder than the glasses of beer, I only need a good, flexible and easily usable sound, don't need anything pro, a ge7 is enough for me

Comment

In mastering sure, and maybe FOH live sound depending on the band. But in a guitarist rig, that would overkill. I don't think I've seen anyone's rig with anything beyond a graphic EQ, if they even use an EQ at all other than what is on the amp.
            I used to overthink it a lot. I would run mono to one cab, so I would run into one side of the compressor/parametric/graphic before the amp head and then come out through the FX loop back into the other side of the compressor/parametric/graphic then to the FX return of the amp head so I had both pre and post preamp tweaking options.

This was 20+ years ago though, so I forget the order. I would greatly simplify things now.

I had the idea that sculpting the tone before the amp head was somehow more effective than doing it in the loop, then just decided to do it before and after the head.

I forget which I liked better.

My Randall Cyclone (early 2000s, just below the Warhead) had both a parametric and graphic EQ. It was really nice because you could be very precise on where to scoop the mids and then use the graphic to refine it further.

It only made one sound, though, being a high gain solid state Randall. And it was noisy. But I do tend to like using a parametric over a graphic. Something about sweeping entire bands and notching them out seems very imprecise.

That said in Guitar Rig and so on I've done just fine with little pedal compressors and EQs. Sometimes I just get to a desired sound quickly with a simpler piece of gear.

Comment

That's a nice one. A bit more than I'd like to spend on one though.
              I found one used on MF for the same price as the used GE7, so I went for it.

Comment

Back to OP's original issue.

I always use one with an acoustic guitar live. When I am standing playing, and trying to hit arpeggios on stage, and perhaps singing too, it ensures that any ham handed notes come out clear and even. Or, when I hit too hard because I'm all fired up, that it doesn't blow up the speakers.

And the settings are indeed pretty subtle. But very noticeable compared to off.
                Originally posted by Bad City
                He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

compression and acoustic is a Yes

Comment

I always use a small amount of compression with an acoustic live. I use a compressor with a blend knob.
                    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Securb View Post

I decided to go with the Source Audio Programmable EQ, and just ordered it.
                      That's a bad@$$ EQ pedal.
                      Originally posted by Bad City
                      He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Working...
                      X