Cool New "Orange" Flavored Pedal!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cool New "Orange" Flavored Pedal!

I don't own this yet, but I'm seriously considering picking one up since I've recently found myself a little "Orange" with envy.

It's the Fire & Sword collab by Pepers Pedals and Highwind Amplification. Basically, an Orange "Rockerverb" preamp with 2 selectable drives (one from each builder) in front to boost it. Sounds pretty dang spot-on from the demos I can find!

From what I understand, most "Orange" style pedals currently out there are modeled after more vintage models. This one (Rockerverb-inspired) seems better for more modern styles.

Link: https://peperspedals.bigcartel.com/p...e-sword-preamp

I dig the Rockerverbs. Looks promising.
    Take it to the limit
    Everybody to the limit
    Come on Fhqwhgads

Comment

I wish they had a Dark Terror/Thunder pedal. I kinda miss my Dark Terror. It was kinda trashy-sounding, but that was kind of it charm.

Comment

Originally posted by Rex_Rocker View Post
        I wish they had a Dark Terror/Thunder pedal. I kinda miss my Dark Terror. It was kinda trashy-sounding, but that was kind of it charm.
        The Micro Terror is basically a pedal.

Comment

Originally posted by Rex_Rocker View Post
          That's essentially what the "Terror Stamp" is according to the guy who designed both:

Comment

I ended up picking up an AMT "O2" Legend Series preamp pedal for a good price that will be here soon. I like the AMT preamps I've tried and I hear this one is more modern sounding, similar to the Rockerverbs in many ways.

I'm still interested in the Fire and Sword pedal, especially since the onboard boost options are really nice, but I might have to wait to find a deal on a used one.

Also, for ~$200 used, there's the "Bax Bangeetar" made by Orange themselves that directly replicates the Rockerverb preamp. Something else I might keep an eye out for a good deal on.

Also, has anyone here used the "Amped Oracle" plug-in by ML Sound Lab? Looks interesting...here's a link: https://ml-sound-lab.com/pages/amped-oracle

Comment

Originally posted by Masta' C View Post

That's essentially what the "Terror Stamp" is according to the guy who designed both:

I tried one... it doesn't really sound dead-on. It has way less gain and kinda lacks the high-end fizz that makes the Dark Terror sound so rough-around-the-edges and fun, IMO.

Plus I've already got my own poweramp, LOL. I don't need the SS poweramp.

I hate to be the Debbie Downer, but I figured it's a discussion forum, so I'll discuss, LOL. I don't love the Rockerverb, personally. I used to play in a band with a guitarist with a Rockerverb half stack, and I admit it was great. It had BEEFY boi transformers... but as great as the high price tag would suggest? It's getting close to Friedman territory.
              Last edited by Rex_Rocker; 01-06-2024, 05:01 PM.

Comment

I never got the Orange love...I know the newer models are much gain-ier than the 70's originals (and that's good...the originals were not great). But their flavor of gain was never my thing.
                Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                  I never got the Orange love...I know the newer models are much gain-ier than the 70's originals (and that's good...the originals were not great). But their flavor of gain was never my thing.
                  They can be dialed in to sound good, but it looks like a lot of the love for the higher-gain models mostly comes from Matt Pike's bands' fans. Or Slipknot, neither of which are my style, personally.

I know they can do a lot more stuff than that, but I always really wished the Rockeverb had a presence control as well and maybe a depth control. The gain structure is kinda unique. It's borderline Big Muff-y (or one of those fuzzes that sound kind of halfway between a full-on fuzz and a distortion), but it tightens up great with an overdrive for the faster palm-mutes. But for that, they kinda like the presence control, IMO.

What I liked about the Dark Terror is that the gain structure was like that, but with a much more Metal EQ curve. That one didn't need a presence control. I actually had to mod mine to ease up a bit on the fizz/rasp. But after that, it was very mic-friendly.

The clean channel of the Rockeverb I remember being meh. I remember me and my guitarist liked his Blues Junior better for clean and edge of breakup stuff granted they both ran through the same cab. We also liked the reverb on his Blues Junior better than on the Rockeverb.

That being said, having a Rockeverb in front of you, they do look and feel quality. Like I said, the transformers are beefy, the pots feel great, the tolex looks impecable and high-quality. They're certainly no Peaveys, LOL.
                  Last edited by Rex_Rocker; 01-06-2024, 05:16 PM.

Comment

This just arrived. I'm guessing it'll give me all the "Orange" flavor I need for now

Comment

Working...
                    X