banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Going down the mega-distortion rabbit hole...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Chistopher View Post
    Tons of gain from one source is definitely quite a different vibe than stacking 2 or three gain stages. If I were to design a pedal with goofy amounts of distortion, it wouldn't look much like anything I currently see on the market.
    In my experience, trying to get a lot of gain from one source often leads to a fizzy sound. Gain staging, however, tightens and compresses the signal while keeping it wide and full, avoiding those over-compressed, thin guitar tones reminiscent of the '80s.

Comment

Originally posted by El Dunco View Post

That’s just a sidebar I thought people might find useful or interesting. I wouldn’t claim to know what you want better than you. I don’t necessarily think less gain is automatically better anyway. You can have too little for what you’re trying to do just as easily.

The TT is a good example. There’s a few reasons the Classic isn’t right for what you want, too little gain is probably most of them while the Mayhem is too whatever the Mayhem is meant to be. Fuzzy, sputtery, brittle? It would probably be amazing for doom metal bands.
      For the record - I do agree, less gain than most think usually sounds better...for most everything.
      Originally posted by Bad City
      He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Well, I got my MD-2 in yesterday and so far, I really like it. It's like a beefier DS-1 with more chug. The 2-stage distortion/gain boost thing is pretty interesting. I don't think I've ever seen that on a pedal before. Boss has some clever people for sure.

I tried running it into an IR loader to see if it does the preamp thing, but it does not. Not nearly enough output for that. I had to a put a separate preamp in between to get it to sound right. I tried running the MD-2 into a JHS Clover preamp, then into the IR loader, and it sounded great that way.

Overall, a fine addition to my collection.

Comment

Have you looked at the MXR 5150 Overdrive? It may say overdrive on it but it can chug with the best of them. There's a serious level of gain on tap. Plus BMT tone stack and a noise gate.

Comment

Originally posted by ErikH View Post
            Have you looked at the MXR 5150 Overdrive? It may say overdrive on it but it can chug with the best of them. There's a serious level of gain on tap. Plus BMT tone stack and a noise gate.
            Almost put it on the original list. I do love 5150 tones...I guess I consider a preamp model in a box.
            Originally posted by Bad City
            He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman View Post

Almost put it on the original list. I do love 5150 tones...I guess I consider a preamp model in a box.
              It is a preamp in a box and it isn't. I've ran it in to the effects loop of my amps and it honestly sounds way better going to the front end input. That's what it was made for.

Comment

Working...
              X